Author Topic: Anyone else notice that 1st line was testing a new machine?  (Read 2123 times)

MonkeyK

Re: Anyone else notice that 1st line was testing a new machine?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 06:49:28 PM »
I agree that the concept seems quite reasonable.  But if you check out the steam test video, it looks like the steam is not so good. 

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 06:56:16 PM »
But if you check out the steam test video, it looks like the steam is not so good. 

I had not seen the vid...still haven't. The one I just watched involved pressing the function button a load of times and rotating the dial a ton of times but they never got around to steaming.  :-X

I was thinking it might be an interesting little machine but if you actually have to press and dial all those functions just to steam milk I think it's going to be a fantastic pain to operate.  :-\
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 08:42:32 PM »
I don't see why a T-block for steam should be a problem.

I'm no ME but this design sounds reasonable to me to use a boiler/pid for brewing and T-block for steam......why not?

Think hard enough and you'll figure it out.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 08:47:56 PM »
Think hard enough and you'll figure it out.

I won't.  :-\

Maybe I don't understand how it works but I thought it's just a block with a passageway carved into it. Heat the block and have the water pass by. As long as the block has enough mass and ability to re-heat.....it should work.

But again, I'm no ME and may not know how the T-block works in actual practice.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 05:49:17 AM »
I don't see why a T-block for steam should be a problem.

I'm no ME but this design sounds reasonable to me to use a boiler/pid for brewing and T-block for steam......why not?

No reason you couldn't...IF you can deliver the BTU's to the incoming water fast enough.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 06:00:04 AM »
No reason you couldn't...IF you can deliver the BTU's to the incoming water fast enough.

That is my assumption point.

I figured if they put in a dedicated steam T-block they tested to make sure it could steam long enough to handle the milk for at least 1 drink.

Lee Morrison

Gime2much

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 10:45:49 AM »
The guys down under are reporting fairly good results but theirs is almost certainly 220v. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1279089567

Tex

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 03:18:22 PM »

That is my assumption point.

I figured if they put in a dedicated steam T-block they tested to make sure it could steam long enough to handle the milk for at least 1 drink.

Why in the heck would you assume that? There are no instances I'm aware of where a thermoblock has reliably made good steam. And even the Saeco machines use 1200 watt blocks to make steam, not a minuscule 700 watts.

Pyment

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »
It seems that there should be a solution. I would think the rate limiting consideration would be getting enough surface area for efficient heat transfer.

Below is a diagram of the HX unit that is used in Bezzaera and Pasquini machines.

One way to increase contact area. I am sure there are others.

Here is a pic of a thermoblock:

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:53:33 PM by Pyment »