Author Topic: Able KONE  (Read 60541 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Able KONE
« Reply #285 on: June 17, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
You guys in your coffee trucks with your soft hands...

;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #286 on: June 17, 2011, 08:40:31 AM »
I'd like to trade in my ONE for a DEAUX - just for the rolled lip ring.  Mine has cut me a couple of times...

-Stubbie
They are just adding a silicon ring, which you can order for your ONE.

Stubbie

« Reply #287 on: June 17, 2011, 08:45:36 AM »
You guys in your coffee trucks with your soft hands...

;D

Well, my last name is awfully close to that famous lotion maker...got a rep to uphold ya know?

-Stubbie Jurgens

BoldJava

« Reply #288 on: June 20, 2011, 05:57:05 AM »
I'd like to trade in my ONE for a DEAUX - just for the rolled lip ring.  Mine has cut me a couple of times...

-Stubbie

They are just adding a silicon ring, which you can order for your ONE.

Not really, lots more:  http://coava.myshopify.com/blogs/kone
1.  New hole pattern.   Gen 1 was only tested on a Mazzer Robur.  Whoops.  Gen 2 tested on a ton of grinders, including home grinders.
2.  Different stainless steel.  Thinner, yet less apt to dent.  My Gen 1 is fine.  My daughter's, who is apt to whack it, reflects her proclivity to banging.
3.  FDA grade silicone ring, as you mentioned.  Fits Gen 1.

Cost.   Lots of feedback about it being too pricey.  Even more feedback such as, "Alleluia, it's made in the USA, not China."  Alleluia wins. Good on Coava. Steel from Ohio, etched and welded in Connecticut, silicone from Seattle.  

B|Java
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:43:55 AM by BoldJava »

milowebailey

« Reply #289 on: June 20, 2011, 06:41:49 AM »
What B|Java said..... I was only responding to Stubbie's desire to have one with the new silicon lip....

thejavaman

« Reply #290 on: June 22, 2011, 10:03:52 AM »

Marshall_S

« Reply #291 on: August 02, 2011, 06:25:21 PM »
I have  both the Coava KONE 1 and 2  and I, too, find that the second generation is an improvement over the first one.

The main improvement is less fines/silt in the cup with no sacrifice in flavor. 

I recently found my sweet spot by following these suggestions "to a t":
http://prima-coffee.com/blog/kone-2-review

In brief, Lee suggests 33 grams of a medium grind (a setting of 20 on a Baratza Preciso) and 515 grams of water.

He suggests a 30 gram preinfusion of 45 seconds, pouring in circles for the first 1/3 of the volume followed by a slow steady pour down the center for the remaining 2/3 of water with a total brew time of 3 1/2 minutes.

I was a bit frustrated with mine until I tried these suggestions and I find these work really well for me.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #292 on: August 03, 2011, 12:07:47 AM »
Interesting.

I bought my Kone 2 a couple of days ago at Coava where I spent at least an hour with Sam who was pouring cup after cup at the Kone bar. In-house they are pouring 400gms of water through 24-25gms of coffee in approx 2.5 - 3mins. This is getting served in what looked to be 12oz mugs and any fines that exist are being retained in the Chemex.

As far as grind setting goes I requested a small sample in a paper bag to compare against my Vario grind at home. I'm finding the Kone setting operates between the pourover and espresso settings on my Vario, of course it's all just a matter of clearance rates so I'm adjusting grind based on that.

BoldJava

« Reply #293 on: August 03, 2011, 02:56:48 AM »
Interesting.

As far as grind setting goes I requested a small sample in a paper bag to compare against my Vario grind at home. I'm finding the Kone setting operates between the pourover and espresso settings on my Vario, of course it's all just a matter of clearance rates so I'm adjusting grind based on that.

My cones are back in the crib -- I will do some side-by-sides this weekend.  Coava is going way finer than I do (based on your description).  I use a drip grind, using 22g for a 12oz cup, ending up with about 10 - 11 oz of java.

B|Java

Marshall_S

« Reply #294 on: August 03, 2011, 03:57:47 AM »
Interesting.

I bought my Kone 2 a couple of days ago at Coava where I spent at least an hour with Sam who was pouring cup after cup at the Kone bar. In-house they are pouring 400gms of water through 24-25gms of coffee in approx 2.5 - 3mins. This is getting served in what looked to be 12oz mugs and any fines that exist are being retained in the Chemex.

We're on the same track - a setting  of "20" on the Preciso is about mid-way between a typical pourover and an espresso grind and the coffee/water/timing  proportions are essentially the same.  My only question is whether brewing a larger amount  of coffee makes a difference  - my guess is that it doesn't as long as you brew at least 400 gms of water..

BoldJava

« Reply #295 on: September 07, 2011, 03:51:09 AM »
I have been using KONE 2 all week.  60 grams coffee with a short liter pour.  I have been extremely pleased with it. 

I am getting a nice lift on the bed/bloom character of the grinds in it.  I haven't clock-monitored but 3 minutes sounds about right, to include that initial 20 second bloom.  The cup character is just a bit "heartier" than the same cup coming off a Melitta white, easily explained with the oils and proteins that the KONE would deliver and the paper would hold back.  I haven't measured the fines in comparison to KONE 1 as the Czarina has been getting the last cup.

Technique used:
  • Preheat the thermal pitcher and Cilio ceramic drip cone
  • Grind a shade finer than standard pourover, closer to the vacpot grind (10% short of a pourover).  I am going to keep going finer on the grind as so many have written in other forums to use a tighter grind than I do.
  • Make a finger indentation to use for blooming
  • Wet entire bed - let bloom
  • Pour in circles continuously, striving for a 2.30-3.00 minute pour, staying away from the outer edge by 1/8"
Great cup.  This a.m.'s is an El Salv La Batalla.  Balanced, fully integrated, complete.  Excellent prep for this coffee, as was the vacpot and espresso.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 03:53:39 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #296 on: September 08, 2011, 03:55:07 AM »
I have been using KONE 2 all week.  60 grams coffee with a short liter pour.  I have been extremely pleased with it. 

I am getting a nice lift on the bed/bloom character of the grinds in it.  I haven't clock-monitored but 3 minutes sounds about right, to include that initial 20 second bloom...

Put the clock on it this morning.  3.30 min w/o bloom; 4.00 min with bloom.  Used a 10% finer grind.

RobertL

« Reply #297 on: December 08, 2011, 06:26:04 PM »
I plan on buying a Kone soon and I'm curious how well it works with the Hario V60 02? Is there an advantage to using the Kone with a Chemex?

ecc

« Reply #298 on: December 08, 2011, 06:59:59 PM »
I plan on buying a Kone soon and I'm curious how well it works with the Hario V60 02? Is there an advantage to using the Kone with a Chemex?

I use a Kone with a v60 02 for 10oz directly into a cup, and use a Chemex for larger batches.   

Any stable pot for the v60 would work just as well as the Chemex. The Chemex advantage is mostly about cool glass handles, or antique thick handblown models.  The Kone sticks up a little on the v60 02 (no big deal) and can get a little spray crazy early in the pour if you get the filter tilted much inside the v60.  The Chemex is slightly harder to clean and detests granite countertops, tile floors, small dishwashers. (as do we all)

I hope you enjoy the Kone!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:04:22 PM by ecc »

BoldJava

« Reply #299 on: December 08, 2011, 07:05:45 PM »

It works fine with the Hario V60/02.  I also use it with a pre-heated liter thermos.  Good hook-up.  I have never gone back to the Chemex.  Too much heat loss.