Author Topic: Able KONE  (Read 58579 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Able KONE
« Reply #330 on: August 17, 2012, 06:14:42 AM »
I received my Kone v.3.0 earlier this week and I have been using it with the Clever. I am extremely happy with this version. Probably the cleanest cup I've ever had from a metal/mesh filter, while still giving and increased body to the cup. The Fruta de Oro I'm drinking this morning has greatly enhanced chocolates and caramels. Yum.

I dub thee King of Kones!

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #331 on: August 17, 2012, 07:43:41 AM »
I received my Kone v.3.0 earlier this week and I have been using it with the Clever. I am extremely happy with this version. Probably the cleanest cup I've ever had from a metal/mesh filter, while still giving and increased body to the cup. The Fruta de Oro I'm drinking this morning has greatly enhanced chocolates and caramels. Yum.

I was unaware that the CCD and the Kone v3.0 could work together.
My Aeropress is dying the slow death, too many cracks on the inside of the outer
tube, so there is no back pressure when plunging.  I need another "quick" and good
"one-cupper".  Was thinking about the AP + fine disk,  but the CCD plus Kone 3 would be a worthy alternative.  Is anyone else using the Kone with the CCD?

smico

« Reply #332 on: August 17, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »

Jason, Where did you buy it from?  Thanks

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #333 on: August 17, 2012, 08:32:56 AM »

I was unaware that the CCD and the Kone v3.0 could work together.
My Aeropress is dying the slow death, too many cracks on the inside of the outer
tube, so there is no back pressure when plunging.  I need another "quick" and good
"one-cupper".  Was thinking about the AP + fine disk,  but the CCD plus Kone 3 would be a worthy alternative.  Is anyone else using the Kone with the CCD?

It doesn't fit exactly right; the new plastic lip sticks up above the top of the Clever just a fraction of an inch, but the CCD lid fits over the Kone just fine. This is a good thing though. The older version of the Kone had a tendency to get stuck inside the CCD. No chance of this happening with the new version.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #334 on: August 17, 2012, 08:34:48 AM »

Jason, Where did you buy it from?  Thanks

I got it through their Kickstarter campaign. I think it's closed now, but they will probably be hitting retailers very soon.

BoldJava

« Reply #335 on: August 17, 2012, 08:41:04 AM »
I got it through their Kickstarter campaign. I think it's closed now, but they will probably be hitting retailers very soon.

I don't think Keith has it available thru retailers -- only his site:

http://ablebrewing.com/collections/products/#kone-coffee-filter

jbviau

« Reply #336 on: August 17, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
Prima at least (maybe others?) will have it starting next month: http://prima-coffee.com/brewer/able-kone-stainless-steel-filter

smico

« Reply #337 on: August 17, 2012, 11:42:57 AM »
On Able they charge $30 for shipping to Canada.
Will wait for September 1st.
Thanks,
Miroslav

EricBNC

« Reply #338 on: August 19, 2012, 12:49:34 AM »
My Kone arrived yesterday.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #339 on: August 21, 2012, 05:53:01 PM »
Good cup. A pile of fines at the bottom. Bunn commercial grinder.

Might be worth $60 for someone with an expensive grinder. There's no way I'd recommend this to the average consumer, even if they had a passable burr grinder.

5 micron polyester felt. No fines (regardless of technique/grind), same cup quality.    :)

Impossible to clean and too expensive to throw away every time.    :(

edit: Oh -- I assume everyone's using surfactant to clean this thing carefully every time?

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #340 on: August 21, 2012, 06:42:51 PM »

edit: Oh -- I assume everyone's using surfactant to clean this thing carefully every time?

Soap and water for me.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #341 on: August 21, 2012, 07:11:57 PM »

Soap and water for me.

I'm guessing rasqual was talking about the poly-felt right there.  Soap & water on the Kone for me too.

Mine came yesterday, along w/ the Bonavita elec. kettle.  I picked up the Chemex for when I need more than a cup, but for just one cup it's the ultra-fancy rig pictured below.

Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

smico

« Reply #342 on: August 21, 2012, 07:20:49 PM »
Great idea Peter.

ecc

« Reply #343 on: August 21, 2012, 07:57:41 PM »
I can't quite make out the logo on the mug...

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #344 on: August 21, 2012, 08:49:52 PM »
I can't quite make out the logo on the mug...

Don't make me modify your post, jokeyman.   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you