Author Topic: Able KONE  (Read 58594 times)

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
Re: Able KONE
« Reply #345 on: August 21, 2012, 09:01:51 PM »
Hey Peter, did you get the variable temp gooseneck kettle that the sales guy was talking about in their SCAA booth?

http://bona-vita.biz/products/kettle5.asp

I've been waiting for that one to go live, I want one.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #346 on: August 21, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »
Hey Peter, did you get the variable temp gooseneck kettle that the sales guy was talking about in their SCAA booth?

http://bona-vita.biz/products/kettle5.asp

I've been waiting for that one to go live, I want one.

Negatory.  I didn't want to spend the extra money, or wait for it.  My Saeco kettle has a similar feature with preset set points, one at 200F, but I don't use that.  My theory is that there is enough heat loss during the pour and then the brewing, that if I start at 200F it'll be below optimum temp in no time.

If I wasn't looking for an electric kettle to pour with, and was buying a stove-top kettle, it wouldn't be a Bonavita.  The gooseneck bumps the Kone at the beginning of the pour.  It's not a big deal, but some others avoid that.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #347 on: August 21, 2012, 10:02:50 PM »
I hear you on those points. My rationale for this kettle is I can set the hold point and it will stay there for an hour. Doreen likes to fill the electric kettle, boil the water and then wander away to do something else, eventually coming back to do a pourover with non-optimal water temps, this kettle can deal with the wandering. ;-)

I also like that I can boil water and hold at a set point for the farmers market, whenever a customer stops by I'll always have correct temp available.

Cammie

« Reply #348 on: August 21, 2012, 10:03:41 PM »
Received my Kone 3 today.  Brewed 4 cups of Guatemala Acatenango Gesha in the Technivorm with the Kone.  Coffee was spectacular even though it's only 24 hours post roast. I kept the brew basket in the closed position for 2-3 minutes after the basket filled and then switched to the half open position.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #349 on: August 22, 2012, 03:17:51 AM »

edit: Oh -- I assume everyone's using surfactant to clean this thing carefully every time?

Soap and water for me.

I'm guessing rasqual was talking about the poly-felt right there.  Soap & water on the Kone for me too.

Mine came yesterday, along w/ the Bonavita elec. kettle.  I picked up the Chemex for when I need more than a cup, but for just one cup it's the ultra-fancy rig pictured below.

Nice setup Peter!

Simple, effective, and inexpensive.

Great German engineering.

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #350 on: August 22, 2012, 06:12:53 AM »
Good cup. A pile of fines at the bottom. Bunn commercial grinder.

Might be worth $60 for someone with an expensive grinder. There's no way I'd recommend this to the average consumer, even if they had a passable burr grinder.

What shape are those burrs in?  With my KONE/MACAP set-up (just 58mm burrs), I get a residual dust about the size of a dime in a Chemex.  Amount isn't worth mentioning.  Superb cup. Guess our experience differs.

I am a ritual-type with the morning routine.  I am using the KONE 3 with the Chemex, then pouring the finished coffee into a preheated Zojirushi 1-liter insulated serving thermos.  High putz, high satisfaction.  Meets the 'need-a-ritual' factor.

Couldn't figure out Peter's "Bonavita bumps the KONE" until I did it with my goose necked Paico this morning.  I am also using the NCho theory of pouring - get the spout right down tight.  With the Paico, I can keep a crest going on the coffee wherein the tip of the spout can touch the crest.  I keep it right above that, for a continuous pour instead of the pulse pour.

He was smart to deal with the sharp point and sharp edge.  I think that kept it out of retail shops -- worker's comp issues/staff safety.  It is a breeze to clean up in comparison to earlier models.  No need to gingerly pamper it during the wash.  Love it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:50:55 AM by BoldJava »

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #351 on: August 22, 2012, 07:25:01 PM »
The thing certainly does clean up nicely. And the cup is what I'd call "turbid" -- more so than what you get with poly. Poly's turbidity is, I'd say, strictly on account of the oils. This thing's turbidity certainly is on account of the oils (gloriously present), but also on account of particulate matter.

:::sigh:::

I can see that I'm going to have to implement my centrifuge ideas to deal with this kind of thing. Think a scaled down cream separator.

BoldJava

« Reply #352 on: September 01, 2012, 06:20:39 AM »
Like Yakster, I wiped out my Chemex.  I was loading it into a box to go along with the KONE to DandyDon's house for cupping yesterday.  I barely touched the top rim to the cabinet base and a chip came flying out of the Chemex lip.  Done.  Toast.

Grabbed a new 8-cup, glass handled Chemex off Prima Coffee, $38/shipped (I had thrown away the wood/leather collar years ago and gone to a mitt).  Don't have the patience to sort through 12 thrift stores for one.  Won't find a Chemex but will find a ton of other coffee junk that will result in me or the items getting put to the curb.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 07:17:32 AM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #353 on: September 01, 2012, 07:14:52 AM »
Like Yakster, I wiped out my Chemex.

Queen - Another One Bites The Dust

ecc

« Reply #354 on: September 01, 2012, 12:15:01 PM »
I really like the glass handled Chemex. and think they are somehow tougher than the vintage ones.  Mine has been banged around quite a bit, clinked against faucets and Kone tips galore with no ill effects.  (knock on wood pun goes here)

BozemanEric

« Reply #355 on: October 18, 2012, 06:43:08 PM »
I noticed that SM is finally offering the new Kone. I have been eyeing them on Able for a while but have always resisted because of shipping. Is everyone still happy with their Kone?  Is it a substantial upgrade to a very well rinsed white filter?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #356 on: October 18, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
I noticed that SM is finally offering the new Kone. I have been eyeing them on Able for a while but have always resisted because of shipping. Is everyone still happy with their Kone?  Is it a substantial upgrade to a very well rinsed white filter?

Emphatically yes, on both counts.  But that's coming from someone who never met a paper filter he liked no matter how well it was rinsed.  For years I've chosen brewing methods that let the coffee's oils come through.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #357 on: October 18, 2012, 07:43:50 PM »
Yes, it's quite an upgrade from my v.1.

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #358 on: October 18, 2012, 08:36:01 PM »

The original Kone shreds all aver well rinsed paper...guessing the newer version is even better.  :)

SJM

« Reply #359 on: October 18, 2012, 08:50:31 PM »
Does it come in a size that fits into the Hario V60?