Author Topic: Able KONE  (Read 60515 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Able KONE
« Reply #180 on: November 10, 2010, 04:51:02 AM »
I hate being so far East Coast sometimes....

My Kone arrives tomorrow.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #181 on: November 10, 2010, 05:18:11 AM »
No silt? Really? If so, that's a stunning development for this class of metal filter.

Filter stalling has been an issue with some form factors too. How's flow rate compared with, say, paper?

Maybe I'll find one in my stocking this year.    ;D

Marshall_S

« Reply #182 on: November 10, 2010, 05:28:28 AM »
Me too - Mine is on today's brown truck ;D

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #183 on: November 10, 2010, 05:50:05 AM »

My guess is that it will become my pourover insert in the Hario - pending a try this weekend.  

Strongest endorsement I've seen so far.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2010, 06:37:40 AM »
Thank you for the informative review Mr. B|Kone.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Coava Roasters

« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2010, 06:45:25 AM »
Awesome photos and review. Thank you!

Yes please be careful with the edges and the tip of the filter. They will get you if you are too quick with the cleaning or catch it mid air point in palm. A local didnt want to dent his kone and caught it mid air point first. I felt really bad when he told me while I made his coffee at the cafe. He was a good sport about it. I might be looking into getting the sides and point a little safer. Again please be aware that the point is fairly sharp.

Thanks again for the all the support everyone!

BoldJava

« Reply #186 on: November 10, 2010, 07:02:25 AM »
No silt? Really? If so, that's a stunning development for this class of metal filter.

Filter stalling has been an issue with some form factors too. How's flow rate compared with, say, paper?

Two points.  Silt:  with the golds, I discern a texture <?> feel in the mouthfeel that I attribute to fines.  The KONE does not have that same mouthfeel for me-- this is "cleaner." That is subjective on my part and it will be interesting to see if the TDS meter bears that out.  Second, there was a slight amount of silt in the the dregs -- final swig -- of the third and last cup. It is a small amount compared to the golds and didn't affect the mouthfeel during the cup, which is important to me.

Flow vs paper - While it had a great flow in the Chemex, the pouring needs to be compared to paper on the Hario 02, not the Chemex.  No 'pause and pour' needed with the Chemex; the extraction kept right up with my 2:30 continuous pour.  I want you to get one for Christmas as I can already hear the minutia and physics you will get into as you review Milo's micro-shot on the holes and then explain the flow in terms I can't quite get my arms around <grins>.  Your wife needs (not should, needs) to put this on your Christmas list.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:36:44 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2010, 07:17:54 AM »
2.  Get Ryan (Roast Coffee) over here with his TDS meter (can't remember the name of that thingamabob).  He loves data.
3.  Put the KONE head to head with the Hario with paper (Melittas), Swissgold, Bodum gold.  Measure TDS, cup quality,etc and report back.  Will be a fun experiment.
(Note: I won't go near a Chemex brown filter.  To me they are similar to using newspaper to filter your coffee).

I stopped and chatted with Ryan (http://roastcoffeecompany.com) over a macchiatto.  He has the TDS meter shined and ready to go.  Will put together a Friday afternoon at my place with Ryan, Peter and Jeff -- let the throwdown begin.  Ryan can bring the meter; will get mitres for all of us and we can be called the MadKupperKappers.

B|Java
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 07:47:19 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2010, 08:42:23 AM »
Bet the B|Konehead didn't need an alarm clock this morning, laid awake all night thinking about the new toy.

We have to figure a way to brew and test blind.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Jeffo

« Reply #189 on: November 10, 2010, 09:54:23 AM »
What's the cost? Sorry if I missed it.

It may be too 'clean' for me and I probably don't want to spend money on it but it's interesting.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »
I'm waiting for more GCBC reviews.

So far only 1 review in and at least 2-3 awaiting

This is what we have so far:
"Maybe I'm biased but at first use I have to say the extraction is slightly different between the Kone and the swiss gold.  I seemed the beginning of the extraction in the Kone is slower and stays at about the same rate throughout the pour.  The swiss gold was faster at first then slowed down.

In the cup the Kone pour had a little more body and mouthfeel than the swiss gold.  The Canaan had aromas of Caramel, and green apples.  The caramel apple seemed to be more pronounced using the Kone and the body seemed larger."
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2010, 12:49:01 PM »
What's the cost? Sorry if I missed it.

$50.

:o

milowebailey

« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2010, 12:53:03 PM »
B|Java's review here

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=10723.0

Cup.  Extremely clean. None of the silt that I experience with both the Bodum Gold and the Swissgold.  Oils are much more present than with the Hario/Beehouse paper arrangements.  Improved cup over golds and paper. 

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #193 on: November 10, 2010, 12:56:22 PM »
$40 until tomorrow with the GCBC discount.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #194 on: November 10, 2010, 01:03:32 PM »
good now we have 2 reviews in.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37