Author Topic: Able KONE  (Read 60547 times)

milowebailey

Re: Able KONE
« Reply #210 on: November 10, 2010, 06:53:32 PM »
Cool picture of the holes. You should take a photo of the Swiss Gold filter as a comparison. Just so people who might not be familiar can see the difference.

It would be neat to see visually how the pour looks through both filters if there is any real difference at all visually of the extraction.  
Here ya go

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #211 on: November 10, 2010, 09:50:35 PM »
That's what I'm talking about! Larry!

The herringbone style slits look like they let quite a bit more coffee flow through them.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #212 on: November 10, 2010, 09:52:34 PM »
I would like to see blind test of the same coffee using different methods of brewing.

kp

I think I am with you on this one.

But what I am really interested in is Vac Pot vs. everything ;D
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline thugmusk

• Standard User
« Reply #213 on: November 11, 2010, 05:12:47 AM »
You could invite ray charles and stevie wonder over for coffee.

In a tennis match it's endless love.

BoldJava

« Reply #214 on: November 11, 2010, 05:21:06 AM »
This morning I ran a larger amount of coffee through the KONE into the Chemex, ending with a 42 ounce end-result.  The extraction and drip stayed right with my pour.  It was a 3:10 pour for that volume of coffee (78 grams), resulting in the same clean cup, full of oils, with some silt at the bottom of the last cup.

Score one for Coava Coffee.

B|Java

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #215 on: November 11, 2010, 07:54:39 AM »
I also had my first run with the Kone in conjunction with the CCD this morning. I'm still surprised at how well the Kone fits into the CCD, almost like it was made for it. Doesn't even interfere with the updated version of the CCD with the lid.

The Kone produced a very good cup; nuanced without bitterness. A few fines did manage to make their way into my mug but it didn't seem to effect the flavor. Thumbs up.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #216 on: November 11, 2010, 08:49:06 AM »
That's what I'm talking about! Larry!

The herringbone style slits look like they let quite a bit more coffee flow through them.

A thought just popped into my head, that hasn't been vetted yet, but here goes anyway...

The swiss gold was made for the showerhead in a coffee maker, so it needs a faster flow-through.  The Kone was made for slow, controlled, pouring.  The only way to slow down a SG is to clog the openings with silt/fines.

Asking a SG to work well as a pourover is asking it to do something it wasn't designed for.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
Here is a mixed video from the oregonian on pourover coffee. If you fast forward 50 seconds into the video you start to get input from one of the Coava guy's on use of the Kone / their technique. The video flashes between 3 different shops making pourover coffee. They do have Coava's full routine on the video though. http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2010/11/all-analog_coffee_hand-brewed.html
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 07:22:59 PM by Warrior372 »

BoldJava

« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2010, 02:07:44 PM »
Heh, heh, slid a 2nd order in.  Santa will visit the daughter in the Twin Cities, 02 Hario.  Poy-fect.

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2010, 03:13:08 PM »
Heh, heh, slid a 2nd order in.  Santa will visit the daughter in the Twin Cities, 02 Hario.  Poy-fect.

B|Java

I'm interested in your clean-up with the citrus-based detergent.  Have you noticed any residual flavor yet from the cleaner?  Normally, detergent and coffee equipment aren't used in the same sentence.  I notice with my Bodum gold filter when I use a normal soap to clean it I can rinse all day long and the next cup will still taste like the cleaner.

Also, if I find the rim to be sharp/hazardous to my delicate skin  ;) I'm thinking about a small diameter tube of rubber or silicone, sliced down its length, then installed around the rim.  It would not only protect, but also be a good gripper.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #220 on: November 11, 2010, 03:24:39 PM »
...I'm interested in your clean-up with the citrus-based detergent.  Have you noticed any residual flavor yet from the cleaner?  Normally, detergent and coffee equipment aren't used in the same sentence.  I notice with my Bodum gold filter when I use a normal soap to clean it I can rinse all day long and the next cup will still taste like the cleaner.

I don't detect any residual soap.  Grab a few ounces when you are over next time and see what you experience.

Also, if I find the rim to be sharp/hazardous to my delicate skin  ;) I'm thinking about a small diameter tube of rubber or silicone, sliced down its length, then installed around the rim.  It would not only protect, but also be a good gripper.

You have to buy one to mod it.  I think your suggestion would be a good one.

B|Java

Coava Roasters

« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2010, 03:37:48 PM »

B|Java

I'm interested in your clean-up with the citrus-based detergent.  Have you noticed any residual flavor yet from the cleaner?  Normally, detergent and coffee equipment aren't used in the same sentence.  I notice with my Bodum gold filter when I use a normal soap to clean it I can rinse all day long and the next cup will still taste like the cleaner.

Also, if I find the rim to be sharp/hazardous to my delicate skin  ;) I'm thinking about a small diameter tube of rubber or silicone, sliced down its length, then installed around the rim.  It would not only protect, but also be a good gripper.

We were thinking of a similar application of the rubber/silicone for our bar use. This will also make sure that the filter stays a true "floating" design. Good idea with the mod.

We use seventh generation fragrance free soap to wash them. I LOVE that soap. I use it for all my dishes at home also. It cleans really well drys perfect and leaves no sent or taste. I would recommend trying it.

Best regards,
Keith

BoldJava

« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »
We use seventh generation fragrance free soap to wash them. I LOVE that soap. I use it for all my dishes at home also. It cleans really well drys perfect and leaves no sent or taste. I would recommend trying it.

Best regards,
Keith

I have used it but like Ultra Dishmate even better:

"... Made with coconut oil based surfactants, salt, 100% grapefruit oil."  Also use the Pear selection ... same ingredients except for pear oil rather than grapefruit.

http://www.ecos.com/images/9722_DishmateGrapefruit.jpg
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:54:04 PM by BoldJava »

Jeffo

« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2010, 03:54:24 PM »
Most excellent Milo.

I've been able to pour through a Swiss Gold cone filter pretty slowly, even slow enough to have some still going down when I'm done pouring. It has to be very slow.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #224 on: November 11, 2010, 03:55:20 PM »

B|Java

We were thinking of a similar application of the rubber/silicone for our bar use. This will also make sure that the filter stays a true "floating" design. Good idea with the mod.

Best regards,
Keith

should have called your patent attorney on that one peter.. maybe you could be the official Coava KONE mod tester?? ~wink~