Author Topic: Able KONE  (Read 60585 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Able KONE
« Reply #315 on: July 09, 2012, 11:17:35 AM »
How is the Chemex breaking? I've had my Kone V1.0 stuck before and I had to slightly bend the edge of the Kone to release it. I'm not going to use the Kone if there is a chance of breaking the Chemex.

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #316 on: July 09, 2012, 01:34:29 PM »

I may just have to find another brew vessel for the Kones... it'll fit in the Clever.

Kone fits perfectly in the Clever...placed on an old Cory bottom makes an ok setup for a slow pour  (or a 3-4 minute full imersion). :)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #317 on: July 09, 2012, 03:53:29 PM »
The Gen 2 Kone is much stiffer than the Gen 1 and when I was trying to bend it to get it out from under the rim, I just applied too much pressure to the Chemex and cracked it.

Pretty sure that the plastic rim added to the Gen 3 will take care of this issue... should have gotten in on the Kickstarter for that, but I figured I was covered with the Gen 1 and Gen 2.

I may just have to find another brew vessel for the Kones... it'll fit in the Clever.

Whatever about buying the able brewer?

BoldJava

« Reply #318 on: August 12, 2012, 07:02:56 PM »
Able Brewing, KONE, gen 3.

We used this all weekend, for cupping on Friday and for the Gesha fest.

Pros:
1.  Silicone lip over the top edge.  Eliminates the sharp edge.  +
2.  Rounded tip is much better than the pointed end.  +
3.  Holes HAVE to be different.  Keith has virtually eliminated sludge.  No more residual fines than a drip or pourover. +
4.  Fits Chemex, Hario small and large, as well as the Cilio 6.  +

Cons:
None.

Others and I really worked over the Chemex and KONE 3 set-up.  Excellent cup.  Keith can quit designing -- I believe he has nailed it. 

Rich mouthfeel without the "sloppiness" (diminished structure) that I experience in a press pot.   Good oils, solid cup. I will be moving away from the standard daily vacpot arrangement and pumping out some KONE 3/Chemex coffee for the next 4-6 weeks.  Very, very pleased with it.

http://ablebrewing.com/collections/products/#kone-coffee-filter

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 04:58:05 AM by BoldJava »

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #319 on: August 12, 2012, 08:30:08 PM »
On that recommendation, I'm spending more than I'd prefer just now . . .

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #320 on: August 12, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »

You won't regret it.  Based on what we saw on Friday, big difference from the same coffee run through B|Toymaster's vacpot and the Kone, I'm ordering one too.  I'll most likely pair the Kone w/ the Chemx Able is offering, and a Bonavita electric kettle.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #321 on: August 12, 2012, 11:51:34 PM »
I've been digging my Kone 2/Chemex for over a year now, not sure how radically different the Kone 3 would be (besides the silcone lip), enough to warrant getting a 3? I use the 2 at home about 10 times per week.

I'm having a lot of fun doing 75gm pourovers onto ice cubes in the Chemex for the farmers market. Been selling 20-25 iced coffees every Thurs, which isn't a lot but amuses me while I'm selling bags of coffee. Probably the best part of the iced coffee thing is people standing around watching me do the extractions (approx 4 servings per extraction) of stuff like the Kochoha or Gedeo Worka, etc and then watching them struggle to process what's going on with their tastebuds as they give off obvious signs of enjoying it.

BoldJava

« Reply #322 on: August 13, 2012, 04:14:30 AM »
I've been digging my Kone 2/Chemex for over a year now, not sure how radically different the Kone 3 would be (besides the silcone lip), enough to warrant getting a 3? I use the 2 at home about 10 times per week...

Given the durability of the item, I would buy it and peddle Gen 2 at half price.  Radical difference?  Not sure.  Gen 3 offers a cleaner cup without a diminished mouthfeel.  No sludge/minor dust.  Though I don't think I have varied my pour technique, I find that I end with a flatter bed of coffee, with less of it on the wall of the filter.  Suggests a better extraction but I am only guessing.

The entry point ($60) is a value given the durability of the product.  My concern is that the price point, while a value in my opinion, might be high enough to cause pause and hold others hostage from pulling the "add to my cart" trigger.

I can only tell you that I am delighted sufficiently that I dropped the dime.  I can re-employ Gen 2 vs Gen 3 -- The Throwdown -- at the next cupping for comparison.  Tickets on sale today.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 04:58:57 AM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #323 on: August 13, 2012, 06:59:09 AM »
I'm sad that mine has not shipped yet :(

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #324 on: August 13, 2012, 08:11:41 AM »
I'm having a lot of fun doing 75gm pourovers onto ice cubes in the Chemex for the farmers market. Been selling 20-25 iced coffees every Thurs,

My iced volume's been way up with the heat wave. This past Sat. the temps were nice (at last), but people still gravitated toward the iced -- as if the nice day might, at any moment, bare the previous week's thermal teeth.

I continue to use the Aero for iceds, brewing them quite concentrated.

What serving size is that 75g?!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #325 on: August 13, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
I've been digging my Kone 2/Chemex for over a year now, not sure how radically different the Kone 3 would be (besides the silcone lip), enough to warrant getting a 3? I use the 2 at home about 10 times per week...

Given the durability of the item, I would buy it and peddle Gen 2 at half price.  Radical difference?  Not sure.  Gen 3 offers a cleaner cup without a diminished mouthfeel.  No sludge/minor dust.  Though I don't think I have varied my pour technique, I find that I end with a flatter bed of coffee, with less of it on the wall of the filter.  Suggests a better extraction but I am only guessing.

The entry point ($60) is a value given the durability of the product.  My concern is that the price point, while a value in my opinion, might be high enough to cause pause and hold others hostage from pulling the "add to my cart" trigger.

I can only tell you that I am delighted sufficiently that I dropped the dime.  I can re-employ Gen 2 vs Gen 3 -- The Throwdown -- at the next cupping for comparison.  Tickets on sale today.

$60 for a swiss gold knock off? I don't get it....

[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #326 on: August 13, 2012, 09:30:24 AM »
$60 for a swiss gold knock off? I don't get it....

But if the 'swiss gold knock off' (which is like saying a Corvette is a Model T knock off) made a notable difference in the cup, would you get it then?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #327 on: August 13, 2012, 09:45:16 AM »
I'm having a lot of fun doing 75gm pourovers onto ice cubes in the Chemex for the farmers market. Been selling 20-25 iced coffees every Thurs,

My iced volume's been way up with the heat wave. This past Sat. the temps were nice (at last), but people still gravitated toward the iced -- as if the nice day might, at any moment, bare the previous week's thermal teeth.

I continue to use the Aero for iceds, brewing them quite concentrated.

What serving size is that 75g?!

I bought the Chemex and Kone 2 when I was at Coava last year, I'm away from my Chemex at the moment (on vacation for a few days, so it's Melitta pourovers) but I think it's the 6 cup glass handle version. I fill the Chemex with ice, approx 1/3rd to 1/2 full, and then extract using hot water. The extraction volume is 'fill the Chemex right to the tip of the Kone', I played with extractions and I found this to be best for iced coffee and my palate.

I then throw some ice in a sturdy 16-18oz beer cup (depending on what's available at my local supermarket) and pour the chilled coffee over top, then add some sweetened condensed milk on top of the ice. If you can find the transparent beer cups the visual appeal will sell those bad boys all day long. I charge $4.00 per drink.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #328 on: August 13, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »
I would post up my exact ratios, along with the associated cost breakdown for the farmers market COG/profit margin but my notes are in my farmers market kit back in Rossland. Currently I'm sitting next to a swimming pool in Penticton (for the next four days), getting some work done and watching my boys splash around as I enjoy Melitta pourovers.

smico

« Reply #329 on: August 13, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »

You won't regret it.  Based on what we saw on Friday, big difference from the same coffee run through B|Toymaster's vacpot and the Kone, I'm ordering one too.  I'll most likely pair the Kone w/ the Chemx Able is offering, and a Bonavita electric kettle.
I am also bought on Kone 3.  Dave tought me how to make pourover.
I will also buy filter for Aeropress.
Too bad we forgot about refractometer that ecc brought.  We should have measured two preparations and get some numbers to make it sound more scientific.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:32:16 AM by smico »