Author Topic: Able KONE  (Read 58573 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Able KONE
« Reply #390 on: November 16, 2012, 10:17:43 AM »
I too recall Able saying the holes were somehow graduated in the 3, for different batches.  I don't stay in the middle; I go anywhere I want.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #391 on: December 03, 2012, 10:16:26 AM »
Update on the KONE set-ups follows.  I will succumb and buy the entire set up.  It is not if but when (pic at end of post).  Keith has struggled to get the pot/filter holder out the door.

"Hello Backers!

First, thank you all for being so supportive and patient. It is because of you that this project is possible and the Kone Brewing System will exist.

Lets first go through the reward levels and what has shipped.

MUG ONLY REWARDS (all shipped)

This rewards level has already been fulfilled and shipped. If you have any questions please contact us at info@ablebrewing.com.

KONE ONLY REWARDS (all shipped)

This rewards level has already been fulfilled and shipped. If you have any questions please contact us at info@ablebrewing.com.

KONE + MUG REWARDS (all shipped)

We have shipped all these rewards as of this week. International please allow 3-6 weeks for delivery. It is unpredictable the arrival and transit times for your rewards. We thank you for your patience and hope you enjoy the filter and mug when they arrive.

We have received positive feedback from those who have their kone and mug rewards. Thanks again for backing our project and please keep in touch!

Where is my KONE Brewing System?

We want to get your rewards to you ASAP. It is not our goal to delay and cause any hard feelings about not having and enjoying your KBS and morning coffee.

Some updates on where we are:

Custom made and printed boxes

We have these beautiful boxes designed that will be made here in Portland. The box is completely custom made to have inserts that will hold the ceramic nice and snug in transit. Also full printed with instructions and information. I'll post photos of these once they come in. Final touches are being made on graphic work and fit since we changed the brewer dimensions from the first version.

Silicone insulating band and o ring

We received a sample run of the insulating band feature that was added. It looks great and functions just as expected. This new feature allows you to hold the hot ceramic and also provides better grip. The o ring has also been tested and helps keep the lid in place a bit better with reducing the ceramic on ceramic rattle from the lid and kettle.

These elements were not a part of the original design as pictured on kickstarter but it is important to me to add them for a more positive user experience.

Ceramic production

The ceramic studio started making brewers a few weeks ago. The first batch came out looking good but not great. With ceramic there is some trial and error on getting the wall thickness and surfaces as specified. I am learning that this medium is truly an art.

From the first 6 made only one was the right thickness and fit. We have used it as our model going forward. Pictures are below.

Brewer Handle

The new handle design is great. It now allows for a full grip using all fingers comfortably. The being made of ceramic and holding up to one liter can get heavy. This was important for me to fix so the pot felt nice and secure in your hand.

Pour Spout

The dribble is almost gone. With the new design and shape the spout now has a much better pour. We have learned some things with ceramic though. The glaze they put on creates a surface tension that causes a minimal dribble to occur. I have tested other ceramic pots and they all do this. Some of you have commented that your pots at home also do this. As the current design stands there will be that very minimal amount but you can achieve a clean pour if you are mindful of the pour.

This is not good enough for me. I want to solve this. Why cant the spout be dribble free? We tested the surface tension by dipping the spout of our kettle finished and glazed in super glue. It pours perfect!! No annoying dribble! So this means our design and shape is ideal. Its the glaze that is cause the water to cling to the spout and down the body for that small annoying dribble. So we are on the hunt for a glaze of some sort that we can coat the spout in that will have the same affect as the super glue. It will be permanent and food safe just like the glaze used in the glazing process. I'm hopeful we can add this final element. This also is not originally intended as a step or feature but I want to make it as best as I can.

Limited RED Edition

The red should look just as we did our test sample a couple months ago. I will post some photos done by our photographer once we finalize the red and have time to do a photo session. Most likely after the Holidays.

KONE Brewing System photos. New design.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:20:56 AM by BoldJava »

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #392 on: December 03, 2012, 12:38:08 PM »
I liked the all white look. Too bad they couldn't get the silicone ring made to match.

RobertL

« Reply #393 on: December 26, 2012, 06:04:28 PM »
I received a Kone 3 for Christmas I've only used it twice but I can tell it is much different than the Kone 2 I previously owned. I used 19 grams of coffee, a grind of 12 on the Preciso and 335 grams of water brewed in a Hario v60. The total time for the pour was around four minutes which was a bit longer than I would have liked. Completely opposite experience from the Kone 2 where my pours were always on the fast side. I need to get my grind dialed in but so far I like the Kone 3. I did get a bit of sludge in the bottom of my cup but I was never a fan of single cup brewing with the Kone. I prefer to brew in the Chemex or other Carafe so I can decant my cup off the top leaving the small amount of sludge behind. No big deal though I will have a new Chemex to keep the Kone company soon.  :)

RobertL

« Reply #394 on: January 04, 2013, 06:58:25 AM »
Is anyone else struggling to get a less than 4 minute pour with the Kone 3? I have coarsened my grind up a lot and still I have not been able to get a pour that is less than 4 minutes. I think the holes in the Kone 3 are regulating the flow more than the grind. I have been keeping the water level low because that is what worked best with my Kone 2 but it might be opposite with this Kone. I am going to try a higher water level using more of the holes to speed up the drain/pour time.

BoldJava

« Reply #395 on: January 04, 2013, 09:20:36 AM »
Is anyone else struggling to get a less than 4 minute pour with the Kone 3? I have coarsened my grind up a lot and still I have not been able to get a pour that is less than 4 minutes....

I use a med fine grind.  3-3.0 minutes.  Hold your KONE up to the light.  Fines get embedded.  Bet that is your problem. I use a rough backed tuffie dish sponge scrubbie dubbie.  Keeps it free.

BoldJava

« Reply #396 on: January 05, 2013, 07:42:16 AM »
Is anyone else struggling to get a less than 4 minute pour with the Kone 3? ...

For curiosity sake, I timed it this morning.  I use a full 30 second bloom with about a 2:1 ratio of water to coffee.  Ran a full 4.0 minutes.

If it tastes good, celebrate.  I wonder if most of just say, 3 to 3.5 minutes or so...

SJM

« Reply #397 on: January 05, 2013, 08:23:51 AM »
For curiosity sake, I timed it this morning.  I use a full 30 second bloom with about a 2:1 ratio of water to coffee.  Ran a full 4.0 minutes.
If it tastes good, celebrate.  I wonder if most of just say, 3 to 3.5 minutes or so...

This always confuses me.  Doesn't the time depend on the actual amount of water poured through?  When I use my Kone I am never using more than 400 ml.   I suspect that most of you are using more.  Shouldn't our comparisons include the actual amount poured through and the time it took?

Susan

BoldJava

« Reply #398 on: January 05, 2013, 09:38:38 AM »

This always confuses me.  Doesn't the time depend on the actual amount of water poured through?  ...

Susan

You can assume I am talking liter unless otherwise stated.

SJM

« Reply #399 on: January 05, 2013, 09:43:05 AM »
You can assume I am talking liter unless otherwise stated.

Okie doke....
and you can assume that with my dwindling marble supply that I will forget and ask you about this again.... :-[ :-[
I will try, however, not to be a pest....

Susan

BoldJava

« Reply #400 on: January 05, 2013, 09:43:40 AM »
You asked a reasonable question.  Now what was it again?

SJM

« Reply #401 on: January 05, 2013, 10:00:02 AM »
You asked a reasonable question.  Now what was it again?

Um......I forget....
 ;D  ;D  ;D

RobertL

« Reply #402 on: January 06, 2013, 01:02:10 PM »
Is anyone else struggling to get a less than 4 minute pour with the Kone 3? ...

Checked my Kone for plugged holes and all were clear. After experimenting with grind size and slurry level I found my happy place. This Kone can definitely handle a coarser grind compared to the Kone 2.

This always confuses me.  Doesn't the time depend on the actual amount of water poured through?  When I use my Kone I am never using more than 400 ml.   I suspect that most of you are using more.  Shouldn't our comparisons include the actual amount poured through and the time it took?

Susan

It is my understanding that the brew time should not change according to the amount of water you are using. 

SJM

« Reply #403 on: January 06, 2013, 02:10:39 PM »
It is my understanding that the brew time should not change according to the amount of water you are using.

Really?  Really??????
So my 400 ml pour should take the same amount of time as B/J's 1000 ml pour?

Oh my....so hard to get my head around that....but I will work on it.

Susan

BoldJava

« Reply #404 on: January 06, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
So my 400 ml pour should take the same amount of time as B/J's 1000 ml pour?

Oh my....so hard to get my head around that....but I will work on it.

Susan

Think of it as a liquid trying to penetrate and drain through a mass.

1000 ml thru 65grams coffee;  ratio 15:1

400ml thru 27grams coffee:  ratio 15:1

Should end up in the same pour time.