Author Topic: Fresh Nespresso  (Read 618 times)

EricBNC

Fresh Nespresso
« on: January 11, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »
Thanks to a bit of info I found on another forum:

Nespresso modified its machines on the newer model to protect its coffee sales.  With the older machines it is fairly simple to cut off the foil top refill with your own cheaper ground espresso and replace the top with tinfoil.  The same capsule could be used endlessly as the the water is injected into the same place.

I decided to make me a Nespresso capsule using extra fine ground Melitta Classique Supreme from their Cafe Collection.  First I need an empty capsule - easy enough.  i did not weigh the grounds for the new capsule - I scooped it in till  the shell was full then gently fingertip tamped.  Interesting looking result, I think.  The machine sounds exactly the same as usual too.  The Melitta in the experiment is several months past it's prime for espresso, but it proved this does work. 

I was satisfied enough to try again with fresh ground Cannonball FTO from Reunion Island and this method can make a tasty shot.

Forgive me Nespresso, for I have sinned...

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Fresh Nespresso
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »
Wouldn't a nice freshly roasted Brazil/Ethiopian Sidamo mix have been tastier?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

EricBNC

Re: Fresh Nespresso
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »
The Melitta was chosen because it is, as advertised, an extra fine grind - not espresso fine but still quite finely ground.  If the experiment was a bust, then I wouldn't have wasted much time finding this out.  It worked better than I expected even with less than fresh coffee so I ground the much fresher (roast date of 12/15/10) whole bean R.I. FTO Cannonball Espresso Blend (bottom two pictures).

I certainly agree the Brazil/Ethiopian Sidamo blend would be very nice - From R.I.: "coffees from the Jinotega region of Nicaragua, northwestern Sumatra and Sidamo in Ethiopia" - so at least part of the suggested mix is in this blend. :) 

This was less a test of coffee rather, but instead a test of the method described compared to the results from a retail Nespresso capsule.  It isn't as convenient, but it isn't terribly difficult either.  If someone was a big fan of Nespresso in milk drinks then a cheaper alternative to retail would have a certain thrifty appeal.