Author Topic: iRoast Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 6132 times)

ecc

Re: iRoast Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »
I have two around here somewhere.  I don't use them much anymore, although they do give a mighty bright result on the right bean. 

I think both are loaned out at the moment, (trying to lure a local or two into the hobby) but have been meaning to fire one up and compare the output against my current roaster.

Offline jaybrad

• Standard User
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 05:44:46 PM »
I have been very pleased with my iRoasts. My first one developed a well documents problem with the lid coming loose and now has the finishing nail fix; I also have an iRoast 2 that I have used a couple times a week for the past 2+ years. I have probably roasted > 100 pounds and have to say that I haven't noticed a great difference in the temp/time settings, and have settled in one one I found at SweetMarias.com

They are noisy, and smoke a bit - but I just put it on a cookie sheet under the range hood and give it a go.

Not sure what I'll go with when these die, but have had my eye on a Behmor for some time now....

Jay

moglman

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011, 07:17:02 AM »
I have never used anything other than the original iRoast.  I priced some counter top drum roasters, but the alternative I keep coming back to in my head is the BBQ grill drum when it's time to replace the iRoast.  There is plenty I find annoying about the iRoast like the small batch size, smoke-tube snaking out the kitchen window and loose-cap chaff blast, but as long as I pay attention, I still really like the results.

BoldJava

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011, 08:19:31 AM »
... but the alternative I keep coming back to in my head is the BBQ grill drum when it's time to replace the iRoast...

When you pull the trigger, plenty of RK Drum roasters here.  Give a shout.

I used an I-Roast and found the shrill noise at unbearable decibel levels totally unacceptable.  Hated it, though it roasted well.  It is gone.

B|Java

roastingnerd

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011, 07:56:55 PM »
This link keeps coming back.  I have the IRoast 2 and had an original.  Rarely can duplicate the roasts I achieved with the original, in spite of more stages available.  I could dial the oringinal in rapidly, but the 2 is much less stable in my opinion.  Seems to be bothered by the chaff more.  I don't know why.  And I had to figure out how far apart to set temps to make it change speeds.  I can get some beans pretty good but mostly they just don't develop the caramel richness.  I suppose another original might be just as bad.  The controls on these things are pretty primative.  i even tried using a thermocouple to measure actual bean temps.  What a comedy show that was.  Never could figure out what the wild girations in temp meant for the actual flavor.  Well, i suppose I could be crying about a $1000 drum roaster and that would really make me sad.

Dale

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2011, 08:54:43 AM »
I used an I-Roast and found the shrill noise at unbearable decibel levels totally unacceptable.  Hated it, though it roasted well.  It is gone.

I bought that from you a few years back as a back up to my behmore and other I-roast 2... It still humming along as I recently pulled the iroasts 2s out to compare roasts tastes with certain beans.

When I pulled them out of the box It was like the enjoyment you get of finding an old toy and then you realize why you upgraded cause of batch size and noise levels.  But it was fun the first few times.

Dale

roastingnerd

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 10:11:55 AM »
Sorry to have waited so long to respond.  I am interested in the roast quality comparison you made if you can still recall.  I use the I-roast because it fits our kitchen and can be easily vented to our downdraft range top.   I don't see that ability with the Behmor.  I think it will have to be a Gene Cafe if I have to upgrade.  As I read the specs that is quiet and has a method of venting.  I never have had the luck getting great roasts from the IR2 that I got from the original.  Must be quirks in the temperature/airflow controller.