Author Topic: Lever Espresso Machine - tips, tricks and magical stuff  (Read 16605 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Lever Espresso Machine - tips, tricks and magical stuff
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2012, 07:50:16 AM »
The pressurestat on my Pro keeps the brew temp rock solid, but it's a PITA to fine tune. The real advantage of the PID though, will be to let me set the steam temp high enough to get decent pressure for creating microfoam.

The fan shaped hole in the steam wand tip on my HX seems to make better microfoam with less attention to detail. It doesn't do much for a non frou-frou guy like me, but it may be useful for the more effeminate effete barista? ;D

I must be going blind ... I could swear that I read that Robert is creating micro foam for frou frou!

:o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2012, 07:55:16 AM »
The pressurestat on my Pro keeps the brew temp rock solid, but it's a PITA to fine tune. The real advantage of the PID though, will be to let me set the steam temp high enough to get decent pressure for creating microfoam.

The fan shaped hole in the steam wand tip on my HX seems to make better microfoam with less attention to detail. It doesn't do much for a non frou-frou guy like me, but it may be useful for the more effeminate effete barista? ;D

I must be going blind ... I could swear that I read that Robert is creating micro foam for frou frou!

:o

Don't blame my posts for your personal problems Mikey - we all know what makes men go blind!

And just because I have a frou-frou capable machine doesn't mean I use it for that. My car s capable of 140 MPH according to the speedometer; do you think I drive that fast?

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2012, 11:19:13 AM »
And just because I have a frou-frou capable machine doesn't mean I use it for that. My car s capable of 140 MPH according to the speedometer; do you think I drive that fast?

you will run out of steam...

milowebailey

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2012, 03:11:47 PM »
It's interesting how the steam wands differ so much on consumer levers.

Sama Export - hoards of steam almost steams too fast
La Pavoni - not enough steam with the stock tip, steams too slow.
Gaggia Achille - has a funky steam tip and it's almost foolproof.  I get such good microfoam with the Achille.

I wish I had it with me in Portland.  Here is the Turbo frothing wand on the Achille... the middle one.

milowebailey

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2012, 12:15:57 PM »
I have to say, of the 3 levers I have I like the Achille the best.  I'm not sure why I seem to pull better shots with it... could it be I like the 58mm portafilter and the non-spring combo.... thoughts?  And it steams very very well.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2012, 12:19:58 PM »
I have to say, of the 3 levers I have I like the Achille the best.  I'm not sure why I seem to pull better shots with it... could it be I like the 58mm portafilter and the non-spring combo.... thoughts?  And it steams very very well.

Maybe you are just in tune with that 58mm vibe.

What kind of shot volume does it deliver?
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2012, 12:24:26 PM »

Maybe you are just in tune with that 58mm vibe.

What kind of shot volume does it deliver?
21 grams, ~2 oz. in a 6 oz cup...  but you'd think 1 1/2 oz with 15 grams in the Sama would be just as good.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2012, 12:32:28 PM »
Yeah.. I think you are on the ~2oz shot thing.

I admit it's hard to let go of....not saying that it's anything that needs let go of you understand but 21g 2 oz shots are a specific arena.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2012, 12:44:33 PM »

The steam preference might be explained by the Achille being the only HX - higher boiler temps. The 58mm portafilter could be the reason you pull better shots with it.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2012, 12:59:29 PM »
The 58mm portafilter could be the reason you pull better shots with it.

It's the reason for pulling 18g ~2oz shots.

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2012, 07:31:32 AM »
Mrs. Milowebailey has succumb to buying "latte" milk... ;). and she picked up some organic whole Jersey cow milk yesterday, a brand we don't normally get.  Wow, what a difference in steaming.  The milk looked perfect, but when I poured it was clearly a bit more stretched than the milk I normally use.  Taste-wise it is noticeably different too.

Shaun, I'm wondering if, depending on the milk, you pour the same or differently?  With the pitcher closer or farther from the cup?

milowebailey

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2012, 07:32:27 AM »

My thoughts? 

You need to post a video of the Achille in action!

I was planning on doing that this weekend but forgot the camera at home this weekend.  Maybe I'll try with my cell phone.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:49:21 AM by milowebailey »

milowebailey

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2012, 09:08:07 AM »
Nice pour Milo.  I'm a little jealous.

I was reading a thread on Home-Barista on Motta pitchers which veered into the technique of steaming in a smaller pitcher then transferring the milk to a larger pitcher for the pour.  Some advantage to the larger pitcher letting you tilt down more before the milk comes out.

Sounds like too much fiddling.

I was also thinking of wiping the steam wand with a thin coat of olive oil to make it easier to clean.  Thoughts?
I use a 14 oz pitcher to steam 3 - 4 oz of milk... no problem.  Or use the small pitcher and pour more slowly.

Olive oil... nope, it will change the taste of the milk.  Just wet your towel and the wand wipes clean easily.

milowebailey

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2012, 08:58:55 AM »
A few days ago I took the Achille apart to lube it and clean it good.  Interesting the pressure chamber is plastic.  I wonder if that is so it's more temperature stable.

Tex

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2012, 09:23:52 AM »
The newer LP's also have plastic sleeves in the chamber.