Author Topic: Well used La Pavoni Zip grinder for $150??  (Read 663 times)

Offline pwest

• Standard User
Well used La Pavoni Zip grinder for $150??
« on: October 09, 2011, 03:54:29 PM »
I have a opportunity to purchase what looks to be a well used La Pavoni Zip grinder, sans hopper, for $150 (pic attached).  Any thoughts on this grinder/price would be welcomed.

Cafeparts has the hopper and lid for about $70, and the inner protector is either $4, or $13 depending on model.  I believe that this grinder uses the $27 64x38x9 Obel-carimali Grinding Burrs.

-Phil 

Tex

Re: Well used La Pavoni Zip grinder for $150??
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:37:19 PM »
You're right, it's made by O-C and rebadged as LP. Cafe Parts does have the best price of burrs for it, but check http://espressoparts.com too for the other parts.

I've always liked the ZIP - mainly because it's the easiest grinder to disassemble for powder coating or painting.

Nice price!

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »
Good deal!  I picked one up for $225, although it looks slightly less used than yours.  It was labled Obel, though.  I found that the hopper was chipped on the base, and so it does not stay fast.  I ended up removing it, mainly because it is too tall.  I just dump the beans in and cover it with an upside-down blank filter.

This grinder was a welcoome change to my Vario, which seemed to not be very stable.  Sometimes, 12.4 seconds on the grinder would give a 17 second shot, and the next would take 60 seconds.  The LP is consistant, and seems to giver better tasting shots.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Tex

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:03:25 PM »
Obel-Bregant, Carimali, LP, Gensaco - there are lots of labels for this grinder. I wouldn't mind having one to play with - if the price was right.