Author Topic: Here's one for the super-auto owners/users.  (Read 593 times)

Tex

Here's one for the super-auto owners/users.
« on: October 26, 2011, 12:13:34 PM »
I had some experience with super-auto machines (Saeco, Delonghi, Jura) about 4 years ago, and what I found is they're not well thought out. The biggest problem I found was they don't all expel 100% of the ground coffee, some retaining as much as a full shots worth in the grounds chute. The only exception I found was the Delonghi, which retained only a dusting between shots.

The other thing I didn't like was that it was near-impossible to just weigh and use enough beans for just one shot. What I want is a machine that lets me add a weighed dose of beans directly to the grind chamber and have that amount used for the shot.

My experience showed me that all super-auto machines are made for the non coffee-fanatic, not for someone like me who wants precise control of the brewing process. What's been your experience with them?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Here's one for the super-auto owners/users.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 12:25:32 PM »
A buddy/customer has a super, I think it's a Jura.  It lets him add ground coffee, and it makes the espresso.  Last year he bought a Cunhill grinder, knowing it would grind better than the super's built-in, and he likes it.  I wouldn't know about it, as I steer him to CCD or pourover when I'm there.   :-X
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 01:46:11 PM »
Tex, any 'do it all in one' machines tend to be mediocre at best.   With so many variables, to throw it all into one press of a button.
Typical  jack of all trades; master of none mentality in the designing of those.

A real fanatic is not going to l ike those anymore than a real butcher would take frozen boxed up beef over fresh aged beef. 

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 01:56:29 PM »
Tex, any 'do it all in one' machines tend to be mediocre at best.   With so many variables, to throw it all into one press of a button.
Typical  jack of all trades; master of none mentality in the designing of those.

A real fanatic is not going to l ike those anymore than a real butcher would take frozen boxed up beef over fresh aged beef. 

Aaron

I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel, but I can foresee a day when simpler will trump better.

I let the church use a Nuova Simonelli 1-group HX, which they've returned. Now they want to go super-auto so they don't have to have baristas. I understand, but from what I've seen, the best are all $10,000 and up (way up!).

I think they're making a mistake - but I don't have much say about how things are run anymore.

EricBNC

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »
Quick-Mill makes the Monza - never used it but it has a high level of program control.  It costs under three grand.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:39:40 AM by Joe »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 11:19:38 AM »
I see your point Tex but how hard is it really to make your own right now, instead of just pushing a button?

speaking of pushing buttons  ;D

Think of it this way Tex, as you get even older, you start looking for things 'to do' to keep you busy, I mean you can only watch so many re runs of Mattlock yanno?

The espresso 'thing' will be the highlight of your day, then it's back to the rocking chair to compare the last 7 years worth of daily temperature readings you have jotted down on paper laying all over the coffee table!!

I can hear it now when the grand kids visit.

Back when I made coffee, I had to grind it, 25 times in EACH direction, BOTH ways, and we had to measure it too!!  you kids don't know how easy you have it, ya spoiled bas..... Zzzzzzz  Zzzzz.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!