Author Topic: So I Bought A Quest...  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
Re: So I Bought A Quest...
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 06:29:09 PM »
Haha. I was thinking the same thing. . . . Or trade a Quest for a HotTop, so you have a 1lb HotTop roasting capacity now versus later?!?

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 03:05:11 AM »
I'm beginning get a better feel for my Quest now, but I do understand the comment about managing subsequent roasts. I have had some wide range variations as well, making it a bit harder to predict input needs for repeat ability. Think it will just take some more experimenting.

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

lurkerjohnny

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 11:29:19 PM »
I definitely need to get a second thermometer to monitor the MET!  I have been "burning" my beans.  So far have 10 roasts under my belt from three different roast sessions.  This last session I thought that everything was going well, was able to end the roasts right at the very start of second crack.  However, both of my roasts have a definite burnt/charred taste that lingers.  My next roasts I will try to not hold the max temp max fan as long.  For now I am sticking with the same type of bean, just to try and get some consistency going.

I have been trying to follow Jim S's guide on roasting.

Marshall_S

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 03:41:04 AM »
+1

You've spent a lot of money on the roaster - spend another $55 ($45 for the thermocouple and $10 for the adapter) from here:
http://users.rcn.com/erics/Quest_Thermocouples_02.pdf

It will make a world of difference.  I find that keeping the MET under 525F during roasting, and shooting for a range of between 500F and 510F for the beginning of first crack, keeps you in a safe zone and virtually eliminates any burnt or charred beans.

Good luck.

lurkerjohnny

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 11:26:38 PM »
Thanks Marshall.  You even answered my next question before I asked it, what temps to keep the MET at :)

Offline shep

• Standard User
So I Bought A Quest...
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 02:24:12 PM »
Got my BT probe today and installed it. Ran a single roast through to the initial few pops of 2nd to get a feel for the temps. I like this addition as it equates the machine more to my past experience on a commercial roaster. The beer did not hurt the experience either!

Shep

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »
Shep,

You can't craft roast coffee with a commercial beer like that.  That was fine when you were commercially roasting, but you'll have to use craft beer from now on with the Quest.

This thread should help you out.

;D

Yeah, I know. I have a growler in the fridge from the local brewery, Upland, but I need to get rid of these bottles that have been in my fridge for a while! The local grocer I sold coffee to boasts a liquor department of over 5,000 wines and 1,000 different beers.

Shep
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:47:01 PM by shep »

ecc

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 08:19:23 PM »
TC on the BT is nice for the graphing stuff.

Here is mine with the chute MET TC