Author Topic: 64mm Flat Burr Grinder - Which One Would You Buy?  (Read 13138 times)

jbviau

Re: 64mm Flat Burr Grinder - Which One Would You Buy?
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2011, 11:18:19 AM »
Nice! Thanks. Clean-up on the K10 sounds pretty painless. A short hopper like you've got would be a must for me (or no hopper at all).

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2011, 02:20:19 PM »
I have a Wega 6.8 conical, which is an early form Compak K10. I second what Peter said. I use a small paintbrush with .5" x .5" very stiff bristles and I get out what I put into it. I experimented with it and my large flats when I first got it and there was definitely a difference with the same coffees pulling shots on the same machine.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2011, 08:19:17 PM »
I have a Wega 6.8 conical, which is an early form Compak K10. I second what Peter said. I use a small paintbrush with .5" x .5" very stiff bristles and I get out what I put into it. I experimented with it and my large flats when I first got it and there was definitely a difference with the same coffees pulling shots on the same machine.

Can you better explain this difference in taste with the conical burrs?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2011, 08:54:15 PM »
I really only played around with it for a week. I had the Cimbali Jr., Mazzer Major and Wega 6.8 and I was rotating through the grinders making shots on the Conti Prestina. I wanted to see if there was a difference because otherwise there was no reason for me to spend what I did on that grinder and I planned on returning it. So, I invited some friends over and proceeded to pull multiple shots for everyone rotating grinders as I pulled shots. We could have all been hallucinating, but as a group everyone agreed the shots from the Wega had less bite to them(FYI I did not tell anyone what I thought the grinder would do to the coffee beforehand either). The blend I was using at the time had a very strong acidic characteristic to it and it just seemed a lot more mellow in the 6.8. The flavors were still there, but just not as sharp. I guess you could contribute that to the conical burrs, to the super low RPM of the Compak K10 and Wega 6.8 or both. It is my understanding that lower RPM has less of a negative impact on the beans and in order for burrs to grab beans at an RPM of 300-400 you need conical burrs. Otherwise, with flats, the beans just jump all over and not a whole lot ends up getting ground. This is why when you see a 300-450 RPM grinder they always have conical burrs, i.e. Compak K10, Wega 6.8, Mazzer Kony, Macap MXP, etc.

The RPM on a Cimbali Jr and Mazzer Major are in the neighborhood of 1400, while the Compak K10 and Wega 6.8 are right around 325. An RPM difference of 1000 is huge. In order to reliably run these grinders at such low RPMs they need more powerful motors and that reflects in the price. A great example of this is the Ceado E10 grinder. They have flat 83mm burrs, run at 690 RPM, have a 740 watt, or .99 HP, and retail on them is $1,299. As compared to a Mazzer Major which runs at 1400 RPM and retails for $1,000

Obviously it was not a very scientific experiment, but it was a big enough difference to make me keep it :) .

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2011, 09:14:27 PM »
Hmm ... that is interesting.  Sounds like it would make for better espresso using a conical burrs.

What is the least costing conical burr grinder on the market?

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2011, 04:55:45 AM »
Hmm ... that is interesting.  Sounds like it would make for better espresso using a conical burrs.

What is the least costing conical burr grinder on the market?

Capresso Infinity's do, but I am not sure of the burr diameter or RPM (I looked and no site I saw listed either). In regard to larger espresso grinders, the cheapest I know of is an Ascaso i-2. It has 38mm conical burrs, but it still spins at 1200 RPM. To get into the 400 RPM neighborhood you would be looking at $850 for the Macap MXP. It uses 63mm conical burrs and spins at 350 RPM. Almost everything else I know of rings in above $1k. As they catch on I am sure manufacturers will find more economical ways to build them, but if you want the large conical combo with the low RPM they do need bigger and better motors which will always cost the manufacturers more money.

EricBNC

« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2011, 07:49:13 AM »
This is painful - I am closing in on La Pavoni Stradivari and Pro territory - not sure I can make it to the K10 - La Pavoni all chrome is only $50 more...

I wonder if those smaller conical grinders - Baratza Preciso for example - share the advantages of the larger K10 or Robur. The burrs are 40mm, the RPM's are 500 (adjustable   Â­‐20% higher or lower) or 400 - 600 RPM with adjustment.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2011, 08:17:22 AM »
I am not sure. I have never personally used them.  am sure somewhere here has though.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2011, 08:36:04 AM »
This is painful - I am closing in on La Pavoni Stradivari and Pro territory - not sure I can make it to the K10 - La Pavoni all chrome is only $50 more...

I admit my bias toward the Compak...   what makes you unsure if you can make it to the K10?  I say it's worth the attempt to land one; it will be the last grinder you buy.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

EricBNC

« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2011, 09:05:45 AM »

I admit my bias toward the Compak...   what makes you unsure if you can make it to the K10?  I say it's worth the attempt to land one; it will be the last grinder you buy.
The call of the Lever Sirens (these are cheaper than the K10) - I am afraid the ropes binding me to the conical grinder might weaken and I will be lost like a modern day Ulysses forever to lever land.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2011, 09:13:23 AM »

The call of the Lever Sirens (these are cheaper than the K10) - I am afraid the ropes binding me to the conical grinder might weaken and I will be lost like a modern day Ulysses forever to lever land.

Be strong Ulysses, be strong.  Do this one thing right, and all decisions that follow will be right also.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2011, 11:22:15 AM »
The lure of the lever.... you will be assimilated.

You are powerless to resist.

I would agree.  Just succumb and get it over with.

B|Java

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2011, 11:58:19 AM »
IMO easy call, get the lever, buy the Pharos at 1/6 the price of the same-burr K10, the only titan grinder with infinitely adjustable burr speed, how slow do you want to go? 

Synergy if there is ever such a thing.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 12:01:05 PM by expy98 »