Author Topic: Have you checked the group pressure lately? redux  (Read 637 times)

Tex

Have you checked the group pressure lately? redux
« on: January 19, 2012, 07:50:56 AM »
Two videos of the same thing - testing a Gaggia Classic group pressure;

1) is using a dry pressure gauge

2012-01-19: Gaggia Classic, testing group pressure

2) is using a liquid-filled pressure gauge

2012-01-19: Gaggia Classic, testing group pressure

As you can see, there's a ramping of pressure - common with a vibe pump. Pretty
 consistent at 10 bar static pressure.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:42:45 PM by Tex »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Have you checked the group pressure lately? redux
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 02:55:46 PM »
If one can not get a liquid filled gauge, a shutoff valve, needle type valve works best and a regular gauge, close it down until the needle is not jumping around but still reading and it will work fine.  We do this to dampen the gauges on our Hpacs at work.

I havent checked mine and given they dropped the one I probably should check it just to be sure but it seems to be working fine.   

Do espresso machines have a habit of straying after a while or is just a general good to do just to check thing?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »
If one can not get a liquid filled gauge, a shutoff valve, needle type valve works best and a regular gauge, close it down until the needle is not jumping around but still reading and it will work fine.  We do this to dampen the gauges on our Hpacs at work.

I havent checked mine and given they dropped the one I probably should check it just to be sure but it seems to be working fine.   
Do espresso machines have a habit of straying after a while or is just a general good to do just to check thing?

Aaron

The one in the video was last adjusted 2+ years ago, and is still where I set it then. Keep them clean and they pretty much take care of themselves. Ignore the PM and they'll be junk<sigh>.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 05:30:08 PM »
so how often should I backflush and what all is involved in that?  I have a blank for the portafilter already.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!