Author Topic: RK Drum  (Read 54853 times)

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
Re: RK Drum
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2010, 01:52:24 PM »
What is that rubber "coupling" called (like a U joint on a car) that connects the rotisserie spit and the shaft of the motor?  I need to order spares.  I know the end of this book.

I will do a group buy on the bugga's and have them available.

B|Java

Yea I been meaning to pick some up also, group buy would be good for me too. I will check with a local hardware store here in Lexington they have plenty of parts and they are good on price I will let you know what price they are.

Tom

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2010, 02:22:04 PM »
What is that rubber "coupling" called (like a U joint on a car) that connects the rotisserie spit and the shaft of the motor?  I need to order spares.  I know the end of this book.

B|Java

Yea I been meaning to pick some up also, group buy would be good for me too. I will check with a local hardware store here in Lexington they have plenty of parts and they are good on price I will let you know what price they are.

Tom

Don't know what shaft diameter the RK uses, but what you want is a Lovejoy Jaw Coupling.

http://xrl.in/5s5t
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Charly

« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2010, 04:24:55 PM »

B|Java

Tom

Don't know what shaft diameter the RK uses, but what you want is a Lovejoy Jaw Coupling.

http://xrl.in/5s5t

The Jaw coupling lasts forever, it's the spider grommets that wear out or fall off and get lost. I bought a bunch a few years ago, they were very cheap-the shipping was more than the grommets-but I'm on my last one (I roast every day, sometimes for hours) and I've lost my notes with the supplier's website. Somewhere deep in my emails is a note from RK with that info.....

BoldJava

« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2010, 06:15:37 PM »

...The Jaw coupling lasts forever, it's the spider grommets that wear out or fall off and get lost. I bought a bunch a few years ago, they were very cheap-the shipping was more than the grommets-but I'm on my last one (I roast every day, sometimes for hours) and I've lost my notes with the supplier's website. Somewhere deep in my emails is a note from RK with that info.....

Yep, spider grommet it is.  I have the exact part number.  They have a Buna-N (polymer) one for $1.71 (plus shipping) and a urethane one for $6.15.  From what I have read, the Buna-N will more that meet our needs and actually does better with heat.

Hearing no objections, I will do a group buy on the Buna-N spiders and can get these out:  3 for $7.06 shipped to your door.  Go?

B|Java
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:34:43 PM by BoldJava »

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »

...The Jaw coupling lasts forever, it's the spider grommets that wear out or fall off and get lost. I bought a bunch a few years ago, they were very cheap-the shipping was more than the grommets-but I'm on my last one (I roast every day, sometimes for hours) and I've lost my notes with the supplier's website. Somewhere deep in my emails is a note from RK with that info.....

Yep, spider grommet it is (they catalog refers to it as a spider.  I have the exact part number.  They have a Buna-N (polymer) one for $1.71 and a urethane one for $6.15.  From what I have read, the Buna-N will more that meet our needs and does better with heat.

Hearing no objections, I will do a group buy on the Buna-N spiders and can get these out:  3 for $6.75 shipped to your door.  Go?

B|Java

Works for me, thanks Dave let me know when I need to send you a PayPal. I am good for 3.

Charly

« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2010, 08:00:30 AM »
 It's great to see how the RK drum business is doing! What I can't understand, however, is what to me seems like the biggest fault with the whole process-good bearings for the rotisserie rod to spin on. On the site I see that they still show the rods sitting on the side of the grill. Noise! Grill metal being eaten on every turn!
Good grief, I did that for one week before I couldn't stand it anymore and had a machinist make me some graphite saddles held up by little steel open topped boxes bolted to the outside of the grill box. Others use some kind of heat resistant, off the shelf bearings.that sit (IIRC) in the rotisserie cutouts, around the rod.
 The latch looks good, but I'm still ok with the paper clip I replaced the cotter pin and chain with. Needle nosed pliers to pull it out with, easy.

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2010, 12:03:26 PM »
Payment sent.

Now we need to find the drum latches so I can do a GB on those ;D

I talked with Shane about this, he said he could not do a group buy on the latches. The latches are about as low as he can go on the RK website.............he did say he may let me do another GCBC group buy on the RK Drum.

Is it time to do another group buy for the RK? Any interest?
Tom

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2010, 12:40:14 PM »
It's great to see how the RK drum business is doing! What I can't understand, however, is what to me seems like the biggest fault with the whole process-good bearings for the rotisserie rod to spin on. On the site I see that they still show the rods sitting on the side of the grill. Noise! Grill metal being eaten on every turn!
Good grief, I did that for one week before I couldn't stand it anymore and had a machinist make me some graphite saddles held up by little steel open topped boxes bolted to the outside of the grill box. Others use some kind of heat resistant, off the shelf bearings.that sit (IIRC) in the rotisserie cutouts, around the rod.
 The latch looks good, but I'm still ok with the paper clip I replaced the cotter pin and chain with. Needle nosed pliers to pull it out with, easy.

cost I suppose... if the price is too high people start thinking behmour or?? something less to have to fiddle with..

Offline bbqbeans

• Standard User
  • Mark
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2010, 12:51:54 PM »
A little dab of high-temp RTV silicone adhesive from the auto parts store will help keep that spider washer from falling off.  I've only had to re-apply one time over the span of a year roasting twice a week.  Hope this is helpful!
Mark

Charly

« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2010, 01:19:29 PM »

That sounds like good advice. Mine wear out and fall apart after (guessing) maybe 500 roasts. My connector on that side is close enough to the grill to feel some heat, which probably is what kills them.

Yep, spider grommet it is (they catalog refers to it as a spider.  I have the exact part number.  They have a Buna-N (polymer) one for $1.71 and a urethane one for $6.15.  From what I have read, the Buna-N will more that meet our needs and does better with heat.

Hearing no objections, I will do a group buy on the Buna-N spiders and can get these out:  3 for $6.75 shipped to your door.  Go?

B|Java

Works for me, thanks Dave let me know when I need to send you a PayPal. I am good for 3.

Jeffo

« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2010, 01:58:58 PM »

Aren't those called braces?

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »

I use a little bit of Pam vegetable oil spray when the noise gets so loud I cannot hear the beans. Most of the time the noise does not bother me

Charly

« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2010, 02:06:22 PM »
 The noise sure did bother me, it was torture.My motor turns at 55 rpm, and with 6 lbs of greens in the drum it screeched.

Jeffo

« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2010, 02:13:20 PM »
The noise sure did bother me, it was torture.My motor turns at 55 rpm, and with 6 lbs of greens in the drum it screeched.

Fortunately oil is able to do it for me. Otherwise I'm like Charly, I can't stand squeaking of any kind.

Offline 7over

• Standard User
  • I'd rather fight, than switch!
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2010, 03:23:52 PM »
+1
but what you want is a Lovejoy Jaw Coupling.

Back in the day, that's exactly what I used. Worked like a charm, never wore out, never lost one, allows for a quick disengagement of the spit / shaft from the motor when bean dump time comes.
Passion + Purpose. It's a beautiful thing.