Author Topic: Bodum Bistro Brewer - 1st look  (Read 1491 times)

EricBNC

Bodum Bistro Brewer - 1st look
« on: April 18, 2012, 05:48:37 PM »
I got offered the chance to play with one of these and didn't want to pass up on that opportunity.  The Bodum Bistro brewer came in the mail today - since I am off from work and it's rainy here in my part of North Carolina the timing couldn't be better. Also, my wife just received a visitor so I have been dismissed to the coffee den while she catches up with her friend Christine - it's good time for me to play with this new toy!

Some neat features include a gold filter that looks to be woven from the same quality material you would find on a Swiss Gold filter.  The Carafe is not glass lined but does hold heat well. The overall size is a bit hard to get used to though since it is very tall.  Still the rectangular shape with a cut out in the middle for the carafe and filter does have a certain visual appeal. This one is matte black but I think they come in many colors too if you can find one in stock anywhere.

The fit and finish is a bit more plasticy than I would prefer for an item that retails for $249.99, but the looks do not make coffee so I will hold off on any criticism for now.  The water tank is clearly marked and easy to remove - one nice feature mentioned in the manual is the safety shut off - the brewer will not cut on if there is no water to heat or if the tank is not seated properly. You can not kill it through neglect - I like that feature.

Also unusual but nice in the feature department is a removable shower head - now clean up is a breeze.  Last but not least, the entire back panel is transparent plastic - you can watch this thing bubble away while brewing if that is your thing. I will post more about it after I have more time to brew but I am excited to put this thing into the rotation.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Bodum Bistro Brewer - 1st look
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 07:59:13 PM »
How does it stack next to the new Behmor brewer?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

EricBNC

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 02:42:39 AM »

???
I haven't seen that one's box so I am not sure how they stack! ;D

Lol - honestly I don't know - I only comment on cup quality with what I have used - this one is no slouch in cup quality though. ;)

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:17:24 AM »

???
I haven't seen that one's box so I am not sure how they stack! ;D

Lol - honestly I don't know - I only comment on cup quality with what I have used - this one is no slouch in cup quality though. ;)

That is the bottom line ... cup quality.

He who brews the best cup with the least cost wins.

;)
lp, 7-Ski

EricBNC

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 05:28:07 AM »
This one retails for $249.99 according to the sticker - it is not mine though, I was sent one to give my impressions of what I think about it. :)

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 07:45:30 AM »
This one retails for $249.99 according to the sticker - it is not mine though, I was sent one to give my impressions of what I think about it. :)

It's not yours for how long?

;D
lp, 7-Ski

EricBNC

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:09:58 AM »
I get to play with it a couple weeks and then I send it back - long enough to try so kind of like our road show here minus the lottery and freight. :)

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 01:28:55 PM »
I get to play with it a couple weeks and then I send it back - long enough to try so kind of like our road show here minus the lottery and freight. :)

that could be a good deal for manufactures to have us 'road show' their equipment through our hyper critical scrutineers..  or maybe a bad thing  (I know, I am using the word 'scrutineers' loosely :P but if the shoe fits...)

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 01:55:59 PM »

Sweet deal!

:)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 07:26:14 PM »

that could be a good deal for manufactures to have us 'road show' their equipment through our hyper critical scrutineers..  or maybe a bad thing  (I know, I am using the word 'scrutineers' loosely :P but if the shoe fits...)
Better yet, let us get the prototypes so we can add our input before yet another average product hits the shelves.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Im sorry but at that price, it better be something 'better' than just another coffee drip brewer, and 'better' does not imply just fancier or prettier.
Im not that into artsy fartsy stuff and honestly, it doesn't seem to be doing anything really 'new' when it comes to making coffee,  they just reshaped the pot thingie a bit and are selling it for high dollars.

what temperature does it brew at?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 07:46:23 PM »
Change of plans. Heading to this place:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/nicholas-restaurant-portland

318 SE Grand Ave
Portland, OR 97214

Then going to this place:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cascade-brewing-barrel-house-portland

939 SE Belmont
Portland, OR 97214

tyme

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 08:19:36 PM »
Change of plans. Heading to this place:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/nicholas-restaurant-portland

318 SE Grand Ave
Portland, OR 97214

Then going to this place:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cascade-brewing-barrel-house-portland

939 SE Belmont
Portland, OR 97214

Did you stop by Cascade before posting? ;D

Nicholas is good,  I liked Hoda's farther east on Belmont.  I think Nichola's is Hoda's son or brother or vice versa 

EricBNC

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 02:26:02 AM »
This shower head design seems solid - I notice a very interesting dispersion and saturation using the OE Pharos 68mm conical burr grinder:

EricBNC

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 12:08:59 AM »
Looks like my fun with the Bodum is coming to an end soon - I am sending this one out west this week.  I did like the coffee though.  The carafe is a bit difficult to clean and once the grounds basket and the pot were not mated up correctly resulting in some spillage - this would have been a mess if I had left the room for a while.  Not sure I would drop $250 on one, but paying much over $100 isn't something I would do without spending some serious thought about the purchase - as always, ymmv.

Here is what it is not better than (nor is it worse to be fair):
  • Technivorm
  • Bonavita
  • Capresso MT-500
  • Melitta Clarity
Except for the TV, these are cheaper and perform the same function.  The guts look impressive on the Bodum, but the plastic body cheapens the over all look while the tall, wide footprint create placement problems where cabinet clearance is limited.

It has some nice qualities, but I can't say I will miss it.