Author Topic: One Pound Roaster For under 100  (Read 15466 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: One Pound Roaster For under 100
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 08:03:44 PM »
I have a couple 1200 watt ones that work very good, I prefer GGs, I wouldn't worry about buying used.

I see the issue of the wattage of TO's come up from time to time.  While it would make sense to buy the highest wattage you can, I've never seen a difference in roasts or their duration or their output based on 1200 vs. 1440.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

espressomaker

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 09:13:33 AM »
I don't.  The units that heat w/ a halogen bulb are always cheaper.  I just wish there was a definitive answer on if they work as well as the old standard.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 01:53:35 PM »
Nothing works as well as the older conventional  type TO ovens, they just don't build them well anymore. halogen bulbs won't hold up, they deteriorate kinda fast, and a little expensive to replace. The under $100 bucks TOs for what we use them for will take em out over a short time. I have looked at the heating elements on the newer stuff very cheap compared to the heavy duty older ones. I guess keep the price up and cut quality with light duty parts is the model for profit. Don't wast your money on most of the new stuff out there wont cut it for the demands that we use them for

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 02:41:25 PM »
Nothing works as well as the older conventional  type TO ovens, they just don't build them well anymore. halogen bulbs won't hold up, they deteriorate kinda fast, and a little expensive to replace. The under $100 bucks TOs for what we use them for will take em out over a short time. I have looked at the heating elements on the newer stuff very cheap compared to the heavy duty older ones. I guess keep the price up and cut quality with light duty parts is the model for profit. Don't wast your money on most of the new stuff out there wont cut it for the demands that we use them for

The new Sunpentowns might be the exception.  They hold up well.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 10:23:34 PM »
if you have any extra new ones id be more than interested in buying one.
do you know of any other good brands?

Decosonic made a TO that appears to be a re-branded GG, which I've used and loved.  I just scored this one off ebay; http://preview.tinyurl.com/k7oa2je

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2013, 08:28:07 AM »
is this model is good
http://www.amazon.com/Sunpentown-SO-2000-Multi-Function-Round-Shaped-Convection/dp/B0001NYJP8/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1371740803&sr=8-12&keywords=sunpentown

?

That's great, if you want the glass bowl, racks, etc.  The link in my post above to Sunpentown parts has the same unit, but just the top, for #55 plus shipping.

If it were me, I'd spend the money on one of the clean/lightly used Galloping Gourmets or Decosonics on ebay.  I think they're built better.  But if there were nothing on ebay and you can't wait for a thrift store/garage sale find, there's nothing wrong w/ the S-2000.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 09:40:39 AM »
Peter, they hit ya good on shipping, Just the top shouldn't have been more then $12.50 and that's giving them a couple of bucks for handling.. What is the wattage on it.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »
Peter, they hit ya good on shipping, Just the top shouldn't have been more then $12.50 and that's giving them a couple of bucks for handling.. What is the wattage on it.

Either way, they'll hit you for shipping, whether it's just the top or the whole unit, and if you don't need the big glass bowl, you'll end up w/ 2 or 3 laying around like me.   :-[     I don't know the wattage off hand, but it roasts the same as the GG or Decosonic.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2013, 10:50:05 AM »
Understand I have some bowls laying around. My Wife made me build a solar cooker out of one of them, works great. First time for her thinking outside the box, bravo to here. If you get into a bind and need a T/O let me know, I will throw you one. I may have 4 or 5 laying around.

espressomaker

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »
how bout the nuwave infrared ovens?

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 01:56:56 PM »
Don't know much about the infrared ovens other then what I have heard, know of one guy did not like it if I remember temp issues and prone to failure. I would stay with the GGs they seem to hold up to coffee roasting application. I think when you refer to infrared you mean quarts heating method correct. One thing about the conventional heating elements they can be replaced, lots of fan motors out China that can be had to retro fit. I snag every one I run across in case I need parts or somebody on this site needs something. Good luck

rustic_roaster

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2013, 05:08:02 PM »
It looks like the stir crazy has some sort of non-stick coating, any concern about it flaking off?  Are the temps keep low enough you dont have to worry about off-gassing?   

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2013, 05:29:35 PM »
I removed the teflon from mine just to be safe, a little hassle but worth it.