Author Topic: One Pound Roaster For under 100  (Read 15457 times)

Offline sea330

• Standard User
Re: One Pound Roaster For under 100
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2013, 10:46:03 AM »
Test run things for about and hour so far works perfect, hooking up the bottom heating element with a dimmer to manage temps. I will report back after I run my first load. As robust the motor runs the stirring arm really spins fast 50 RPMs might be to fast, I may need to install some speed control to find the sweet spot on rotation speed. They sell these motors at 20- 30- 40 and 50 RPMs. they also have them slower then 20 RPMs but who would want to go any slower, The 100 watt transformers are the bomb, they pair with the motor very well. I paid $9.50 plus a buck shipping. Received from China a little over a week shipping time
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:22:25 AM by sea330 »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2013, 12:52:35 PM »
Would you mind supplying a link for your motor?

Thanks.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

rustic_roaster

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2013, 07:26:35 PM »
Pic of the pan with Teflon removed
The surface looks pretty smooth, how do you get the Teflon off?

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2013, 10:48:35 PM »
100 isn't deal breaker but a cheaper 1/2 pound roaster is better. im thinking of going with the sc/to

I roast 10 oz (green weight) in a Wearever Popcorn Pumper (the 1400w version). Variac. There are less expensive alternatives to boost the fan, which would bring a half pound roaster under $50. Oh, and buy a pair of Corning "Duo" bread tubes on e-bay. Cheap.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2013, 05:37:37 AM »
Teflon removal can be very easy if you get the right sand blasting media I used the glass cutting blasting material ordered from a outfit in Tacoma Wa,  If you interested I will try to find the paper work on it and get you a number. If your teflon pan on your roaster starts getting black and flaking off I would get it removed asap. I have about 45 lbs of this stuff left after doing 3 or 4 for my self and friends that I built roasters for.

Rich

rustic_roaster

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2013, 08:01:05 PM »
Teflon removal can be very easy if you get the right sand blasting media I used the glass cutting blasting material ordered from a outfit in Tacoma Wa,  If you interested I will try to find the paper work on it and get you a number. If your teflon pan on your roaster starts getting black and flaking off I would get it removed asap. I have about 45 lbs of this stuff left after doing 3 or 4 for my self and friends that I built roasters for.

Rich
Thanks Rich.  I dont have a sandblaster and not sure I would buy one for one roaster, but I guess I could get a auto body or machine shop to do one.   
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:33:43 AM by rustic_roaster »

kaotep

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2013, 08:57:54 AM »
will a #60 sandpaper cut it for removing the teflon coating? going to #120 after most of it is gone?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2013, 09:04:44 AM »
I'm wondering if a propane torch would work to just burn it off; sounds easier than scraping and more fun too.

That said, I never bothered w/ mine, and don't think it's a hazard.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

rustic_roaster

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2013, 10:32:04 AM »
I'm wondering if a propane torch would work to just burn it off; sounds easier than scraping and more fun too.

That said, I never bothered w/ mine, and don't think it's a hazard.
The torch should work, but if you believe the stuff about toxic fumes if you over heat teflon it seems to defeat the purpose of removing it.

You are probable right that it is nothing to worry about.  I do know first hand there is a stink that comes off teflon pans if they are over heated,  not sure how hazardous it is, just not sure I want find out either.       

There is information on the internet about removing teflon that says use lye or oven cleaner then steel wool it off.    As easy as the stuff scratches off, a little elbow grease and steel wool should work by itself. 

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
I just use a silver high-heat paint designed for exhaust manifolds, and when the crud from roasting accumulates I give it a fresh coat to keep it looking new.  It must have about 15 coats on it by now. 

;)

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2013, 08:42:08 AM »
With all the blasting media I have left over I would be happy to send one with the teflon removed to anybody that needs one for $20.00 shipping included. I should have enough to do about 15 more, maybe a way for me to get rid of my left over stuff, Just personal email me if I can help.

Rich

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2013, 03:08:42 PM »
We are huge on healthy cooking, I have read allot on Teflon and in my opinion it is very toxic over  time when it starts flaking off and burnt,  using chemicals to remove it???, seems to me the chemicals can get into the porosity of the metal and cause health hazards. I have never heard of any coffee roaster manufacture using Teflon coated devices to roast coffee. None of my hobby roasters have any Teflon on it. I do know even Aluminum at temps over 700 deg can be unhealthy. It is fun building these things on the cheap but we need to be aware of health issues.

Rich

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2013, 03:40:15 PM »
I'm conscious too, of healthy eating/living, and not ingesting toxins.  I just don't think the temps in a SC/TO get high enough that the teflon is an issue, and don't think there's a mechanism for any toxicity to migrate into the beans and then back out of the beans during brewing.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2013, 04:08:10 PM »
Hope your right, I think the pan can get very hot next to the heating elements, What effect it could have on the teflon???. Maybe when the pan starts looking ugly and looks like the teflon is flaking off it is time to change it out or remove the coating. It is very cheap to purchase a siphon sand blaster about $20 bucks off ebay and and go to Ace hardware and get a bag of fine Silica sand and be careful not to blow threw, the glass blasting media is the best.

Rich

rustic_roaster

« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »
Hope your right, I think the pan can get very hot next to the heating elements, What effect it could have on the teflon???. Maybe when the pan starts looking ugly and looks like the teflon is flaking off it is time to change it out or remove the coating. It is very cheap to purchase a siphon sand blaster about $20 bucks off ebay and and go to Ace hardware and get a bag of fine Silica sand and be careful not to blow threw, the glass blasting media is the best.

Rich

here is some information regarding the temp range of Teflon.  Looks like under 500 is not a problem, over 660 is not good.   In normal roasting situation that is most likely OK.
http://www2.dupont.com/Teflon/en_US/products/safety/cookware_safety.html

Be careful with the silica sand. 
http://www.osha.gov/dsg/etools/silica/protect_against/stopsandblasters/stopsandblasters.html