Author Topic: SAMA heater failure  (Read 4454 times)

SJM

Re: SAMA heater failure
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 07:33:04 AM »
Screeching halt while I get my seriously pissed off self around the fact that  the next thing I did last night was to turn the SAMA over the sink to clear the last bit of water out of the boiler from it's most recent failed test of whether it was heating and....it tipped and the sight glass broke.

Now the teardown will be more complete and probably everything will get bench tested....but I guess  the Gaggia Classic will be getting a workout for a whlie....

Of course now I know why I two espresso machines.
It's that fabled silver lining

milowebailey

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 08:16:18 AM »
Screeching halt while I get my seriously pissed off self around the fact that  the next thing I did last night was to turn the SAMA over the sink to clear the last bit of water out of the boiler from it's most recent failed test of whether it was heating and....it tipped and the sight glass broke.

Now the teardown will be more complete and probably everything will get bench tested....but I guess  the Gaggia Classic will be getting a workout for a whlie....

Of course now I know why I two espresso machines.
It's that fabled silver lining
I did a similar thing with my Achilles,  I bought 2 sight glasses so the next time I break it I will have one in-house.

The good thing is you will know the sama inside and out when you are done.

SJM

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 08:40:30 AM »
Well I don't feel like quite such a doofus then.
AND it turns out I only broke the cover, not the glass tube itself.
In my dismay when I saw it broken last night I just assumed the worst, but....
as usual, my good luck has held.

But, it's the busy season, so she will probably be benched until after the holidaze.

Susan

SJM

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 02:13:24 PM »
Oh I so love taking things apart ???

SJM

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 09:21:57 AM »
So now I have just about everything out and strewn around, and everything seems to be testing okay (resistance and continuity e.g).  What I am wondering is if I can use this tester that I made years ago, put it onto the two terminals of the boiler heater and not electrocute myself???  Also, of course, I'm wondering if that would cause the heater to heat up if it's going to????

milowebailey

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 07:19:45 AM »
So now I have just about everything out and strewn around, and everything seems to be testing okay (resistance and continuity e.g).  What I am wondering is if I can use this tester that I made years ago, put it onto the two terminals of the boiler heater and not electrocute myself???  Also, of course, I'm wondering if that would cause the heater to heat up if it's going to? ???

Yep, apply power to the two terminals wait 5 seconds and turn it off.  See if it got warm/hot.

SJM

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 07:58:30 AM »
Thanks.
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that this is the source of my problems, but I am going to do that one more test before putting her back together.

milowebailey

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 09:35:53 AM »
Thanks.
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that this is the source of my problems, but I am going to do that one more test before putting her back together.

Yep, looks like a cruddy Pstat.

Orphan had them on sale last week.... you might just buy one.  I'm sure Doug would tell if if it would work on the Sama

http://www.orphanespresso.com/MATER-Pressurestat-18-Inch_p_2280.html
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:37:47 AM by milowebailey »

SJM

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »
Cool. 
I will ask. 
Actually, I have already asked a few questions from OE and gotten no response at all, so I'm not optimistic.
I will post at H-B and see if Doug picks my question up from there....

And/or....just order one.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:32:25 AM by SJM »

SJM

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 07:19:39 PM »
And here I still are SAMAless..... :'(  :'(

I ordered a new pstat and installed it and that didn't help at all.
I'm back to thinking the heater itself just has to be gone.

Now I'm scaring myself.
I've got the boiler out and the terminals from the heater exposed, but my alligator clips are too small to go around the posts.  So, I've wrapped some copper wire around the posts and attached the alligator clips to the copper wire.  If I turn the power on are my eyes gonna light up????

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 11:38:23 PM »
Are you sure that's the right place to apply current?
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

ecc

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 12:07:34 AM »
Um, those tiny wires are going to get really hot. One of them also looks like it is contact with the metal cap.

Susan, i'm not quite sure how to say this nicely, but you're kinda scary to give advice to.  It would probably be safer to temporarily jumper over the pressurestat to test it, and if your meter saw resistance between fthe terminals you are likely good on the heater anyway.

SJM

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2013, 07:58:46 AM »
Oops, guys, you got it.  I had it all wrong. 
But look at it this way:  I asked before I DID it all wrong :-))))

I think now that the tiny posts in the middle are where the current should be applied, and ....that there is no continuity between those posts.  Those tiny center posts are what the wires connecting the heater to the pstat and the start button and the light are attached, and they have no  continuity between them.  For some reason (scary, I know, Todd), I had convinced myself that those brass parts where I attached the copper wire were the terminals, and I do get continuity there, so I hadn't wanted to order a new heater if mine was still working.  Now I'm quite positive I was right in the beginning:  my heater has failed!!!!

I am ordering parts from Italy today.

Cammie

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2013, 08:55:52 AM »
Susan, if it does not have to be a Sama specific heater, say if a La Peppina one would fit, I have a few extra and could maill you one when I get back into town in a few days. 

SJM

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2013, 09:11:02 AM »
Cammie, I have no idea whether the LaPeppina one would fit or not.
Thanks for your offer, and I will do a bit of research and let you know.

Just one more question (sorry Todd), but if you look at this picture, where do you think I can test whether or not the heater is working?   The next step will be to remove the heater completely....