Author Topic: Now I've gone and done it: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Thread.  (Read 25053 times)

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
Re: Now I've gone and done it.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »
Best advice ever... throw out all the rules and just play around with it.

I've changed my extraction routine a bit over the years, depending on updose or regular dose, and my mood, and The Espresso Force. Don't sweat the extraction time, the PVL is more forgiving than the generally accepted standards. Not to say you should always do big updoses with super long extractions in order to get the best tasting coffee, but pushing the envelope to see what happens is a good way to get a sense of things.

This video was a pretty big updose, and slow extraction, still tasted good:

Ponte Vecchio Lusso updose

A classic example of playing around with the extraction style:

Ponte Vecchio Lusso 1 ounce lever pull

One ounce result:

Ponte Vecchio Lusso 1oz Bodum

And more completely amateur goofy pulls:

Ponte Vecchio Lusso 14.1gms (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Getting tired of videos yet?

Ponte Vecchio Lusso 15gms (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Milk:

Ponte Vecchio Lusso microfoam (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Finally, a chopped PF:

.75oz espresso from the Ponte Vecchio Lusso (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:32:38 AM by headchange4u »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 08:32:46 PM »
Fancy two handed shots.... :P

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 09:33:03 AM »
Thanks for the videos Shaun. Very nice.

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 10:25:18 AM »
Just found this thread.  Congrats on the PV.  I think the lusso is a great choice, and everyone here has lots of great suggestions.
LMWDP #440

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
Now I've gone and done it.
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »
So how much does boiler insulation matter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 07:34:45 PM »
Are you gonna run it all day?
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
Now I've gone and done it.
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 07:58:30 PM »
I'll keep it at work for a while, so yeah it will be on most of the day. Once I get it home it will be turned on less frequently.

I also need someone to explain like I'm five. I know there are two types of lever espresso machines: full manual lever and spring loaded lever. I get how a manual machine works. But I'm a little fuzzy on exactly how the spring-loaded mechanism operates. Can someone help me out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 08:07:38 PM »
On the spring...

If you didn't have it you could think of your arm as the pump on a pump driven machine. You would be applying the shot pressure by feel. Your consistency would take some practice....

With a spring there is a point where you let go and the spring delivers the consistency portion of your shots. You can manipulate this but for now it's best you don't fiddle too much before you get to know your PVL... They are active partners in your espresso, you'll see.  ;)

Lee Morrison

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »
The Lusso has landed. Been pulling shots all day, and slowly overcoming the learning curve. Last couple of shots that came out of the machine were pretty good. I'm extremely caffeinated at the moment.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 12:58:21 PM »
Very nice!

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 04:05:31 PM »
The Lusso has landed. Been pulling shots all day, and slowly overcoming the learning curve. Last couple of shots that came out of the machine were pretty good. I'm extremely caffeinated at the moment.
Photos or it didn't happen!

jspain

Re: Now I've gone and done it: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Thread.
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 05:27:56 PM »
Video would even be better!!!!!!!!!   ;)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 02:29:05 PM »
I've been pulling shots for a couple of days now, and I think I got the hang of the basics. I'm found that a bit of a hybrid technique works best for me. I do a short preinfusion and the let the lever start to rise slowly, controlling it with my hand. I will let it come about half way up and then bring it down again for a second time. Seems to work well. I'm using 12-13 grams in the double basket, with a fairly firm tamp.

My only real complaint with the machine is that I'm not getting the volume in the shots that I got with the Gaggia. With the double basket, I get maybe a little over an ounce, whereas the Gaggia game me close to 2 ounces. Not a huge deal, but I would like to see more volume off of 2 pulls.

I did wonder:

How do I backflush/clean the machine? I didn't get a blank basket with the machine.

After I pull a shot, with the portafilter removed, I will pull down the lever to clean the group screen. When I do this I not only get water coming out of the group head but also some steam. Is this normal? I would this that actual steam would produce bitter espresso. My first few shots were very bitter.

I had other question, but they will have to wait until I can remember them.

Here's a little eye candy. I had my cousin turn me out a tamper on his lathe. I had originally wanted stainless, but he was out of that stock so me made me one from Teflon. I really like it.

milowebailey

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 02:34:16 PM »
Backflush?  It's a lever....no 3 way valve to worry about.  Just pull the handle with no coffee in it after each shot, it will stay prety clean.  Pull the shower screen off once in a while and soak it in citric acid.

Leverland is like paradise in the espresso machine world ....

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 02:37:46 PM by milowebailey »

BoldJava

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »

My only real complaint with the machine is that I'm not getting the volume in the shots that I got with the Gaggia. With the double basket, I get maybe a little over an ounce, whereas the Gaggia game me close to 2 ounces. Not a huge deal, but I would like to see more volume off of 2 pulls.

In 3 weeks, you will be past that as an issue.  Remember that you are using a much smaller mass to extract from.