Author Topic: Now I've gone and done it: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Thread.  (Read 25241 times)

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
Re: Now I've gone and done it: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Thread.
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2014, 11:17:14 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what is the pressure setting that you PVL owners prefer? Mine is at a little over 1.
Looks like my pressure may be WAY too low. I waited 40 minutes, and it never got above 0.5
With the top removed, I'm barely able to see two screws on the back of the pressurestat. I assume that is what I need to adjust - but which one?

I can barely touch them with a screwdriver. Probably need to remove the "shell" of the PVL. Can anyone give me some hints of how to do that?
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »
Jason,

A few thoughts that may or may not be of interest?

The situations that you describe may only be grind, tamp, and pressure issues.... Everything except the zero pressure issue I have seen with my machine as I change greens, grind, and tamp..... Especially on the first pull of the morning. I will drink the first pull but the second and others are always better. Patti gets the first one.....!  ;)

I'm quite sure that those are factors. The guy I spoke to at 1st line said the same thing, but my machine at home does not have the same issues. If I grind to fine or tamp to hard the lever either won't rise or moves up very slowly. My coworkers machine is much more fickle; if you don't get the grind or tamp just right, the levers jumps up and you can hear water rushing back through the group head and you lose the pressure on the coffee. I assumed that mine was working correctly, but I could be mistaken.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2014, 12:42:29 PM »

Looks like my pressure may be WAY too low. I waited 40 minutes, and it never got above 0.5
With the top removed, I'm barely able to see two screws on the back of the pressurestat. I assume that is what I need to adjust - but which one?

I can barely touch them with a screwdriver. Probably need to remove the "shell" of the PVL. Can anyone give me some hints of how to do that?

To remove the case, look at the bottom and you will see 2 large nuts and 2 smaller bolts. Remove the smaller bolts and the case will come off.

The small screws aren't your adjustment. The adjustment screw is recessed in the end of the stat that points toward the case. There's no clearance to adjust without taking off the case or drilling a hole like staylor suggested.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »
I'm quite sure that those are factors. The guy I spoke to at 1st line said the same thing, but my machine at home does not have the same issues. If I grind to fine or tamp to hard the lever either won't rise or moves up very slowly. My coworkers machine is much more fickle; if you don't get the grind or tamp just right, the levers jumps up and you can hear water rushing back through the group head and you lose the pressure on the coffee. I assumed that mine was working correctly, but I could be mistaken.
Jason, mine seems to operate like yours. This is based on the few espressos I tried (decided the water was not hot enough).

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction re: adjusting the pressurestat.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2014, 02:28:38 PM »
You'll also need a 20mm box wrench to remove the steam and hot water valves. You can't remove the case without taking those off.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2014, 02:49:42 PM »
fwiw, I have an Export and when the lever jumps like that it's the piston seals needing a lube job, at least
that's the case with the Export.  Removing the piston on the PV is not super fun...

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2014, 07:01:33 PM »
You'll also need a 20mm box wrench to remove the steam and hot water valves. You can't remove the case without taking those off.
Yes, I noticed that. I can see where to remove the hot water valve, but the steam valve is covered up.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2014, 01:31:16 PM »
So, after 3 phone calls and 2 emails to 1st line, I finally got them to send out a set of seals for my coworker's PVL. I switched them out today, and it was pretty obvious that the old seals were the root of my problem. The top seal, or the one closest to the lever, was torn. Upon closer inspection it looked like it may have been damaged during installation. As you can see in the second pic, there was a mark/cut on the inside of the seal that led me to think this.

The edges of the middle seal were also chewed up.

After the installation of the new seal everything was working as it should. The lever operation was slick as snot on a door knob, and the machine pulled a great shot with no indication of lurching or slipping.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 01:35:37 PM by headchange4u »

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2014, 07:07:25 PM »

There are some fairly detailed instructions (including pictures) on this page:
http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-equipment-pointy-end-1500-3000/28916-ponte-vecchio-lusso-club-spring-lever-espresso-machine-3.html

SJM

« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2014, 11:07:51 AM »
Where/from whom have you PVL owners bought yours?

And did you get a one- or two-group?

Susan
yup.....checking out the piggy bank again....

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 11:16:25 AM by SJM »

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2014, 11:58:39 AM »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2014, 12:06:28 PM »
The saga continues ...

Co worker's espresso machine worked great yesterday. Turned it on this morning and again it would not heat up. Light came on but nothing happened. Sending it back to 1st line for repair :(

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2014, 12:18:33 PM »
The saga continues ...

Co worker's espresso machine worked great yesterday. Turned it on this morning and again it would not heat up. Light came on but nothing happened. Sending it back to 1st line for repair :(
Jason, I'm very sorry to hear that  :o

Still haven't adjusted my pressurestat yet ... maybe Sunday. In the interim, I'm appreciating the virtues of my Gaggia Classic.

SJM

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2014, 12:38:03 PM »
I got the one group PVL from 1st Line:
https://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3837

As do most people, I assume.
I have been under impressed with 1st line.
I think I will call Joe at The Good Coffee Company in Seattle.

Susan

SJM

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2014, 01:06:21 PM »
I just had a nice chat with Joe (The Good Coffee Company, Seattle)

He says that he has stopped ordering the Ponte Vecchios because the quality has been so bad that he has had to entirely rebuild them before selling them.  That put paid to my fantasies of buying one. 

He also mentioned that the only way to go when buying a Lusso is the one-group because the addition of the second group exponentially increases the problems with the builds.

I think I will send my SAMA to him for an overhaul instead of buying a new one..