Author Topic: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 93891 times)

BoldJava

Re: Behmor 1600 - Impressions and Tips
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2008, 06:04:11 PM »
Behmor 1600 - 1st Impressions
January 2008

Bottomline?  In a quick hour, you can begin to roast some of the finest coffee in the world in your own kitchen.  Read on but I warn you:  You are about to step onto the slippery slope of a hobby that will ?hook and hold? you.  You have been warned.

Positives:
1)Quiet
2)Able to roast 13-14 ounces at a crack
3)Smoke suppression system vastly reduces smoke (less smoke, not smokeless)
4)Handles back-to-back roasts
5)Does a great job of bringing out the nuances of the bean
6)Very even roasts
7)Best price:value of any "off the shelf" roaster out there for the homeroaster
8)Easy to learn how to use it

Drawbacks:
1)Limited visibility of roast
2)Limited ?on the fly? adjustments for the ultra-geek or perennial tweaker
3)Minimal aroma for those who roast by aromatics

Machine is Best for:
1)Beginners
2)Those desiring larger roasts
3)Connosieurs
4)Advanced roasters without a need to tweet a roast to death

Machine is Not Recommended for:
1)Those advanced roasters with an insatiable need to tweek and modify

Product:            Behmor 1600
Model:                         December 2007 release
Manufacturer:              Behmor Inc. (http://www.behmor.com)           
Average Price:            $300
Where Obtained:         CoffeeProject.com
Owned for:                  2 months

Tips:

First, never, ever leave the roaster unattended.  The heat retained by the beans is more intense than most homeroasters realize. 

Second, buy a fire extinguisher and have it within arm's length while you roast.  This is just common, household sense.  OK, with that out of the way, here are some suggestions to speed you along:

1)Prior to anything, read the manual.  You may download it at www.behmor.com.  Read it again.
2)Before roasting any beans, take the Behmor outside.  Do a 'burn-off' roast, outside or in the garage, which takes off residual manufacturing oils.  Put the bean cylinder and chaff tray in before doing this 1st step.
3)When you finish a roast, clean the chaff tray.  Place it on top of the unit so that you will remember to put it back in for the next roast.  It is very easy to forget.
4)Start learning the machine by using ? pound amounts until you are comfortable with the machine, its processes, and its capabilities.  Then step up to ? pound roasts until you are comfortable.  Then move up to a full pound.
5)If using the larger mesh bean cylinder, prior to roasting, run the beans through a 3 minute cool cycle to 'shake out' the smaller beans that might fall through the mesh and burn on the floor of the chaff collector.
6)Keep a log of bean roasted, weight of roast, settings.  My log is very simple.

Country of origin
Process type
Finca/Estate/Bean Name
Amount roasted
Settings
Time of 1st crack
Time of 2nd crack, if any
Time when cool initiated
Roast Level
End Weight
Comments

7)Buy a $10 stopwatch and toss it in your roasting box.  Behmor uses a descending clock.  It is so much easier to write down in your log ascending actual times (your stopwatch) elapsed rather than doing the mental math.
8)Keep a log.  Getting the drift?
9)Make sure that you do a ?maintenance/cleaning? run every 6th roast.  Just place an empty cylinder in, hit ?1/2? and ?Start.?  It will add to the life of the machine in the long run.
10)Wipe off the inside of the glass window with a barely moist paper towel after every roast.  It adds to the limited visibility.
11)For the most even roasts, and to reach 2nd crack consistently, consider roasting 13.3 ounces (378 grams), using 1 pound settings.  You will get six roasts out of a 5-pound bag of greens.  One-pound amounts don't seem to get close enough to second crack on setting P2 for my tastes.
12)When you dump the beans after the roast, thoroughly examine the bean  cylinder to ensure that no beans are stuck in the vanes or screening.  Don't worry about a bit of chaff getting recycled, but a roasted bean joining the greens in the next roast will ruin your day.
13)Think about purchasing the spare bean tumbler with the finer mesh.  I use it for all Yemens, some Ethiopians, and all peaberries.  It does a fine job of bean retention.
14)Play with all the profiles.  For me, extended P2 (a profile) is great for all the high grown beans.  But, I have to be on my toes to catch the first crack as it is abbreviated.  Merely add 3:00 minutes to the first crack time and you will be right on the edge of second crack (with a 13.3 ounce roast), bumping up against a full city roast.
Use Behmor's guide for time between 1st and 2nd crack.   It is right on the money for me when I am using P2:
a) ? lb - 1:40 minutes
b) ? lb - 2:20 minutes
c) 1 lb?  3:20 minutes
15)Don't go past 10 seconds into the 2nd crack.  Too much smoke and aroma with which to contend.
16)P3 works very nicely for the Brazils and Puerto Rican beans I have roasted,  as well as any pre-blended espresso blends I have bought (rarely do I preblend prior to roasting).  P5 does a bang up job on the Konas I have roasted. 
17)Find an inexpensive shopvac and keep it in the closet.  It speeds up chaff cleanup from the chaff tray and the insides of the roaster.  I picked a mini for $25, which is a great size, from the place with helpful hardware man.  He was an Ace.

Roast on!

B|Java
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 02:25:33 PM by BoldJava »

FinerGrind

« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2008, 03:20:58 PM »
<snip>
Tips:

First, never, ever leave the roaster unattended.  The heat retained by the beans is more intense than most homeroasters realize. 
Second, buy a fire extinguisher and have it within arm's length while you roast.  This is just common, household sense.  OK, with that out of the way, here are some suggestions to speed you along:

<snip>
Roast on!

B|Java

Pay very close attention to this tip.  Just yesterday, I stepped in / out to the deck while a lovely batch of BOP Panama Nono Crespi - a BW/GCBC exclusive - was roasting.  I missed the first crack, I looked in and the beans still looked in progress, however, when I checked not 2 minutes later, they were 4 alarm into 2nd (is there really a 3rd crack? :-)).  I really don't know what happened, because I took careful notes the two other times I roasted this, and it should have just finished 1st, but then again, I may have set the timer wrong.  Either way - Dave's sage advice is golden - stick close while roasting.

Woody

Bud

« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2008, 11:11:47 PM »
Behmor 1600 - 1st Impressions
January 2008

Bottomline?  In a quick hour, you can begin to roast some of the finest coffee in the world in your own kitchen.  Read on but I warn you:  You are about to step onto the slippery slope of a hobby that will ?hook and hold? you.  You have been warned.

SNIP-SNIP-SNIP

Roast on!

B|Java

Daves "Impressions and Tips"  is Right on the money in every sense of the post! As I was reading it I was trying to find somthing I disagreed with, and couldn't.  If you are thinking about a Behmor read this, If you are new to the roaster, you will pick up useful needed tips. 

Well Done B|java!

Bud

PS- OK,  If I was being real picky; I would debate a bit about ?limited visibility? as you can mod it; by cutting a window in the Chaff tray, that will give you very good visibility

kuban111

Re: Behmor 1600 - Q's and A's, Roasting Tips and Suggestions
« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2008, 06:51:54 AM »
Bold Java,

Thanks for the tips; I have to agree clear to the point & very helpful to anyone that is new to this roaster or to anyone looking to buy it.

Just my 2 cents on things.

I?m coming from a sc/to and at the beginning because I?m so use to having temp controls, temp meters and all the other toys along side to monitor a roast, it was very difficult for me to just grasp the concept that I was able to achieve a good roast from the start if I followed the instructions set in the manual.
?Without any song or dance routine?.

I thought ?no way there has to be more to this, it can?t be that easy?. But as you simple pointed out from your post that yes, one can achieve something good from this roaster.

This past weekend a friend called me over his home to see if I could bring over my new behmor.
A fellow co worker of his wants to get into home roasting so he wanted to see the behmor and my friend?s hot top at work. So we got together to see how these 2 roasters worked. Now this wasn?t any official behmor  vs hot top challenge. We just simply wanted to show this guy how we roast coffee on our machines.

This was my first time seeing a hot top at work & was very impress by it. Wow very nice, love the way it?s built and the nice controls. The geek in me loved it.

So just for the record I?m going to say this, in the end we all notice & were very much impress by how the Behmor coffee had roasted more evenly. This was the very first thing that I had notice too after my first roast & this is something that the Behmor is very, very, extremely very good at. ;D

Michael.
 Ps: Nice place you have here, I'll stick around
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 06:54:08 AM by kuban111 »

BoldJava

« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2008, 07:02:31 AM »
>>>So just for the record I?m going to say this, in the end we all notice & were very much impress by how the Behmor coffee had roasted more evenly. This was the very first thing that I had notice too after my first roast & this is something that the Behmor is very, very, extremely very good at. Grin

Michael.
 Ps: Nice place you have here, I'll stick around>>>

First, welcome.  This is a solid group of folk.  .  . glad you found us.

Second, I would love to hear how the Hot Top and the Behmor compared in the cup because at the end of the day, that is what counts.

Give a shout if you need any help understanding the boards or the ordering processes.

B|Java

kuban111

« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2008, 07:47:48 AM »
Bold Java,

Thanks for the warm welcome....

Will do

Michael.

dbcoffee

« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2008, 12:20:39 PM »
I roasted some PNG Kuta this morning. Roasted 9oz at the 1lb p3 c setting.  I preheated the beans to see if I could shorten the roast cycle and it worked.  I didn't get a temperature of the preheat of the beans, and I was still able to hold the beans in my hands, so I'm guessing I heated the beans to right around 100F or a tad bit more.  I'm not sure how this will effect the cup, but the beans made to first crack with 6:30 min left and was in second crack full speed with 3 minutes left, I stopped it at 2:45min.  I would say Full City++ or Light Vienna...  Initial aroma with only 6 hours rest was smoky and ashy.  However, I usually notice a dramatic improvement around 24 hours....

BoldJava

« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2008, 02:30:13 PM »
New Qs and A sheet out by Joe:

http://www.behmor.com/manual.html

Note:  I am on my 3rd Behmor.  Joe has been extremely responsive.

Unit 1:  Motor began turning in fits and jerks, labored.  Err 6 messages recurring.
Unit 2:  Arrived with the shield that protects the roasting bulbs unanchored.  Joe played around with a unit for two hours to see if I could simply remedy.  Inaccessible, for all practical purposes.  Joe said, "Unit 3 is in the mail."
Unit 3:  Arrived via Fedex this morning.

B|Java

FinerGrind

« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2008, 02:53:28 PM »
New Qs and A sheet out by Joe:

http://www.behmor.com/manual.html

Note:  I am on my 3rd Behmor.  Joe has been extremely responsive.

Unit 1:  Motor began turning in fits and jerks, labored.  Err 6 messages recurring.
Unit 2:  Arrived with the shield that protects the roasting bulbs unanchored.  Joe played around with a unit for two hours to see if I could simply remedy.  Inaccessible, for all practical purposes.  Joe said, "Unit 3 is in the mail."
Unit 3:  Arrived via Fedex this morning.

B|Java

Wow - I'm reading the updates.  I usually do 3-4 lbs, in a row, allowing the unit to go through the full cooling cycle; I dump the beans, measure out another 12-14 oz, start the roast again.  I see now that the recommendation is 1hr between roasts... hmmmm... no problems so far, but it's more like 15 mins. between roasts post cooling, and I do open the door 2-3 mins once the cooling cycle starts.  When I remove the beans, the inside of the unit is cool to the touch.

Without looking at my log, I've roasted about 25lbs so far.  I really like this roaster, and am meticulous in its care.

Woody
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 02:55:48 PM by FinerGrind »

Offline bwilson

• Standard User
  • Hi - My name is Bruce and I'm a Coffeeholic
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2008, 08:30:45 AM »
It's really great to see how responsive Joe has been with design, manufactoring issues.  I've had my Behmor about a month and a half now, have not had any issues (knock on wood), but like to see that if I do have any problems, Joe stands behind the roaster 120%.  I have been doing 2 - 4 roasts in a row allowing the the cooling cycle to be my wait time.  May have to rethink that now.  Hmmmmmmm.
As a man sows, so he shall reap - Law of Karma

BoldJava

« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2008, 08:44:08 AM »
... I have been doing 2 - 4 roasts in a row allowing the the cooling cycle to be my wait time.  May have to rethink that now.  Hmmmmmmm.

Certainly speaking for myself, but if the cooling takes the beans and hopper down to a temp where I can do that step with bare hands, my guess is that is a sufficient cooling for the circuitry.  Again, only an opinion, but I think Joe needs to emphasize this isn't a commercial roaster and suggesting a one hour wait helps emphasize that.

RE:  Joe's responsiveness.  I find Joe is after whatever ails the machine so that he himself can repeat the error/problem.  He would like to eliminate that presenting difficulty in version 1.02 so that the unit doesn't have the same hiccup.  He has been all over my difficulties like flies on a July picnic.

B|Java

dbcoffee

« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2008, 02:58:11 PM »
I was reading the new FAQ and it mentioned to keep the area around the thermocoupler clean to ensure an accurate temperature reading.  So when I roasted some coffee today and looked at the inside of my behmor I noticed how dirty, oily, greasy it is.  I wonder if the baked on oils on the inside of the behmor is giving the thermocoupler a cooler than normal reading, because my roasts have been finishing right where I want them and quicker....   

vsp

« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2008, 03:37:06 PM »
I was reading the new FAQ and it mentioned to keep the area around the thermocoupler clean to ensure an accurate temperature reading.  So when I roasted some coffee today and looked at the inside of my behmor I noticed how dirty, oily, greasy it is.  I wonder if the baked on oils on the inside of the behmor is giving the thermocoupler a cooler than normal reading, because my roasts have been finishing right where I want them and quicker....   

Do you do a cleaning run? I run 1lb, PI after every 4-6 roasts, which seems to keep it pretty clean throughout.

dbcoffee

« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2008, 04:22:52 PM »

Do you do a cleaning run? I run 1lb, PI after every 4-6 roasts, which seems to keep it pretty clean throughout.

I do, just about every 5-7 roasts (9oz roasts)....  I only do a 1/2lb on P1 to clean it. Sometimes I take a mild cleaner like Joe Glo or PBW to help clean it.

Frankly I don't mind about the inside.  I haven't had any flare up and my coffee tastes wonderfully.  I just figured the gunk on the inside is just part of the "seasoning."  I'll try to take a picture, it's not that bad, just a build up in the corners....

thejavaman

« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2008, 06:30:38 PM »
My Behmor arrived in the mail today!   ;D ;D ;D   First impressions are that it's a very well built roaster, it's very easy to operate and the roast is incredibly even and thorough.  I started out with a 1/2 lb. batch to get used to how it roasts and then I proceeded to do a couple 1 lb. batches after that.  I can't wait to see how the cup is!