Author Topic: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 93845 times)

Offline Joe52

• Standard User
Re: Behmor 1600 - Q's and A's, Roasting Tips and Suggestions
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2008, 09:54:49 PM »
Howdy Folks,
I bought my Behmor last Dec.,and have had fantasic results until tonite.I just got a pile of Sumatra from Joe and did about a 1# roast on P5 and maxed out the time at 25 or so minutes.Barely got a FC and beans were not even close to done.Tried P3 maxing time out again and got a little more of a FC but not enough.My roaster is on a dedicated 20 amp circuit with nothing else on it so I don't believe its not enough go go juice.Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks,
Joe
Fear not,O land;be glad and rejoice:for the Lord will do great things. Joel 2:21

kuban111

« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2008, 11:20:48 PM »
Hola Joe,

I would just get in touch with Behmor and explain to them what's going on with your machine.
I wouldn't dough if you get a call from the man himself, Joe Behmor to help you out.

There customer service is awesome.

No guess work,  ??? go to the man direct.

Michael.

BoldJava

« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2008, 03:08:54 AM »
>>>Any suggestions would be welcome...>>>

Lots of possibilities.

1)  Your voltage could have dipped for a variety of reasons.  I have been monitoring our house voltage (with Kill-a-Watt) and I am fascinated how it jumps around.
2)  P5 is for low grown, island beans:  http://www.behmor.com/manual.html.  I only use P5 for Konas. I use P3 Brazils only.  Joe's Sumatran are probably high grown.  P1 P2.  Try reducing the load to 375 grams (13.3 oz) and using P2 or P1. 

If that doesn't work, call Joe.

B|Java

Offline comptrguru

• Standard User
  • I thought I had a handle on life....then it broke.
« Reply #153 on: February 27, 2008, 10:10:35 AM »
Joe...  Reduce the quantity of beans/roast.  I use 12 oz. of beans on the 1# setting.  With a little care, I can take the roast to any end point I wish to.  Make a couple notes on the particular bean, time and voltage.  You can then do 'no brainer' repeat roasts.  The 12 oz works well for me in that amount almost exactly fills a 1 quart Mason jar, my vacuum storage vessel of choice.

Phil

Offline Joe52

• Standard User
« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2008, 04:50:57 PM »
Hey Guys,
Thanks guys for the info.I will try P1&P2 before I call Joe.I am totally ignorant about soft beans,hard beans etc.I know beans from Brazil are soft but am at a loss on any other beans.
Thanks.
Joe
Fear not,O land;be glad and rejoice:for the Lord will do great things. Joel 2:21

BoldJava

« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2008, 05:26:05 PM »
Joe...  Reduce the quantity of beans/roast.  I use 12 oz. of beans on the 1# setting...

I use 13.3 oz because 5#s gives you 6 equal roasts of 13.3 oz.

B|Java

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2008, 06:12:54 PM »
I roast 15 oz. of most hard beans using the following settings...

1#, P3, D, +30 sec., Start, -2:00min, = 21.30min.

I then start listening for the 1st crack between 4 & 5 minutes and then go to a manual cool just before the start of 2nd crack.
This profile draws out the beginning and middle of the roast a little while shortening the end of it.

Rodney

Offline comptrguru

• Standard User
  • I thought I had a handle on life....then it broke.
« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2008, 10:38:52 PM »
I use 13.3 oz because 5#s gives you 6 equal roasts of 13.3 oz.

B|Java

Ahhh....  More logic than my madness.  Yup.... I end up with an 8oz. batch at the end of 5#.  I still can only get 12 oz. of roast in my 1 qt. Mason jars, though.  Do you suppose I can convince the good folk at Mason to do a three pinter??    ::)

Phil

kuban111

« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2008, 08:21:04 AM »
I roast 15 oz. of most hard beans using the following settings...

1#, P3, D, +30 sec., Start, -2:00min, = 21.30min.

I then start listening for the 1st crack between 4 & 5 minutes and then go to a manual cool just before the start of 2nd crack.
This profile draws out the beginning and middle of the roast a little while shortening the end of it.

Rodney

I just gave your profile a tried with my 13 lb. Yirg/Sid blend ...stooped it 1min 11 sec into 1st C....looks great, I'll let you know after 5 days.

I really like p2 & p3 & .......(p1) when I get the ???? What do I do with this bean look on my face.

Thanks for the profile.....I like how "This profile draws out the beginning and middle of the roast a little while shortening the end of it."  This with a gentle cool down could be very nice for those very delicate cases.

Michael.

Offline scumgrief

• Standard User
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2008, 09:37:16 AM »
Hey guys, wanted to see if anyone knows the best (cheapest) place to buy a Behmor.  Thanks!

scum

thejavaman

« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »
Hey guys, wanted to see if anyone knows the best (cheapest) place to buy a Behmor.  Thanks!

scum

I got mine a couple weeks ago from www.burman.com with the smaller drum and 3 lbs. of greens for $309.95 shipped to my door.  It was the best deal I could find and I looked at quite a few places.

kuban111

« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2008, 10:36:00 AM »
Hola Joe,

I would just get in touch with Behmor and explain to them what's going on with your machine.
I wouldn't dough if you get a call from the man himself, Joe Behmor to help you out.

There customer service is awesome.

No guess work,  ??? go to the man direct.

Michael.

Wow I can't believe that I'm quoting my own post so just for the record. ;D

Last night I guess the planets & stars weren't lined up right over New Jersey so while I was roasting I notice something small and odd about the way the Behmor reacted. To me it wasn't that big of a deal to think about since I had no problems with finishing my lovely 13 lb Yirg/Sid blend roast that I so wanted to try out the profile that kelppaddy posted  above.

But I had some  ??? On my mind so sure thing I fired up and send out an e-mail this morning out to the Behmor customer service dept. Well what do you think happened next...about an hour later I had a guy name Joe from Tahoe calling me on my cell phone.
After a quick discussion about my odd observation last night, Joe was so helpful and quick to diagnose the situation.

Talk about a quick turn around  time.

This guy is better then Satan Claus & the Easter bunny put together......IMHO, so don't be too surprise if you send out a cry for help to the Behmor Company.
& the next person on your phone could probably be Joe the man himself........

Now if I could only get that kind of service from my local Chinese take out I would be so happy.

Enjoy

Michael.
 ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 02:41:20 PM by kuban111 »

Glacier

« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2008, 12:57:29 PM »

scum

http://www.freshcoffeebeans.com/roasters/Behmor.asp

Offline scumgrief

• Standard User
« Reply #163 on: February 29, 2008, 05:07:25 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I did end up ordering one from Sweet Marias.  Price was about the same 315 total with a shipping discount, but it came with 8 pounds of coffee.  Can't wait to get it!  I'll be browsing through the forums for tips......

scum

BoldJava

« Reply #164 on: February 29, 2008, 05:30:05 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I did end up ordering one from Sweet Marias.  Price was about the same 315 total with a shipping discount, but it came with 8 pounds of coffee.  Can't wait to get it!  I'll be browsing through the forums for tips......

scum

Here are my thoughts on Tips and suggestions.

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=2757.msg41286#msg41286

B|Java