Author Topic: Show Off your Roaster  (Read 25494 times)

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
Re: Show Off your Roaster
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2008, 08:40:17 PM »
15 kilos! Man, that is a monster machine! Congratulations Woody!
No coffee, No workee!

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2008, 04:06:42 AM »
Woody,

That is awesome! I really wanted a 15k and did find two, but in the end, the 10k swap deal was my best choice financially. The come-along is a good idea but I am going to have to go one step further...heavy equipment! I have to lower mine about 10-12 feet into a landing. I have been using propane also. The YM2 was very economical. It will be interesting to see how the 10 compares. We will be learning together. I have taken my YM2 apart for cleaning/maintenance many times (don't want to burn the house down!), so if I can help any, don't hesitate to call or write.

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2008, 04:50:02 PM »

I also fear propane greatly - let's just say there was a period during my youth where I got interested in thermodynamics and accelerants and I had a bad experience with a propane tank and a .22 long...
......Sweet. :P... unless of course you were to close then  !?!?!? Ouch  :o ?!?!?!

Understand the house burning thing - thus the Roasting Shack I built.......
I have converted the YM-15 to propane, but I have yet to dig the trench to tie in the power to the building.  I'll need to have enough power to run the Behmor and/or SC-TO, an espresso machine, grinder, laptop, lights, air-conditioner, flat-screen TV, in addition to the motors on the YM-15 and booster fan on the exhaust.

That's not a roasting shack?!?!?!? that's a two car garage?!?!  or in Minnesota they call it an ice fishing hut  :-X

sconelady

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2008, 08:47:36 AM »
Here is mine

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2008, 11:13:39 AM »
Understand the house burning thing - thus the Roasting Shack I built.  I also fear propane greatly - let's just say there was a period during my youth where I got interested in thermodynamics and accelerants and I had a bad experience with a propane tank and a .22 long...

Must have been a lucky shot?  My own youthful experiments with an (EMPTY!!) 5 gallon LPG tank and a .357 just resulted in a dented tank. Now a 30-30 on the other hand...

I had a former boss who had to go swimming one time when the guided steelhead fishing boat he was on developed a leaky hose on a propane catalytic heater.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2008, 05:15:42 AM »
Here is my new machine installed. I run on 2, 100 lb propane tanks with a switchover valve so I don't run out.

Shep

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2008, 03:00:45 PM »
Here is my new machine installed. I run on 2, 100 lb propane tanks with a switchover valve so I don't run out.

Shep

Shep, how many roasts can you do on a 100lb tank?  Just curious, because this is what I'm looking to do, until I can find a good deal on a 500lb tank (tho' it might be less expensive for me to carry the 100lb tanks to be refilled, than to have a truck deliver).  Also, do you monitoring the flow and consider this in your profile?

Thanks,

Woody

Woody,

The YM2 was very conservative. I have filled both tanks once and just filled one of them for the second time. I would guess I have run about 1000 batches or more through those tanks. I have only done about 10 batches on the new machine so I have no idea yet how much it will use, but I will monitor it. I chose to use these tanks and take them to get filled rather than have a big tank in the yard and have a truck come out. We don't use propane for anything else here. I have natural gas at my house, but the house next door, where I roast, does not have it and I did not want to run it right now.

As far as monitoring the flow in my profile, do you mean the pressure? If so, yes, I use the pressure gauge as a point of reference for my roasts. I do not know what year Ambex started adding the pressure gauge and control knob. Mine is an 06 and it only had a "half/full" valve, similar to a gas on/off valve. I had it upgraded so that I now have the pressure gauge and control knob just like my YM2 had. Better yet, I would love to upgrade to the touch screen system...but I'm all tapped out right now!

Shep

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2009, 04:08:19 AM »
My Fresh Roast is on the way out- it is now unable to deliver a really dark bean- and is unable to roast the Costa Rican that I got from a distribution to an espresso dark.

Spend the money-either go way popcorn popper cheap or $495+ expensive- no picture- not proud

SC/TO can be a simple build or a tinkerers dream but cost is low for the volume and control...   ;D

If I didn't like to make things as much as I like to burn things I would get a Behmour for $300

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2009, 09:10:59 AM »
That is some beast mattquest!  So you were roasting commercially?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2009, 09:29:55 AM »
That is some beast mattquest!  So you were roasting commercially?

Perspective... it's a close up.. I think its about a 5lb max roaster.. otherwise that is one monstrous trier :)

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2009, 10:38:55 AM »
Perspective... it's a close up.. I think its about a 5lb max roaster.. otherwise that is one monstrous trier :)

I see your point JJ ... mattquist must have a nice 35mm DSLR to take pictures with.  If I did that with my point and shoot it would come out much too blurry to do it any justice.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2009, 12:00:36 PM »
Thank you for that mattquist ... I know everything is relative ... that looks like a beast compared to my FR8+.

lp, 7-Ski

dennis.keating

« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2009, 12:33:07 PM »
The commercial roasters are truly beautifull beasts.

farmroast

« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2009, 08:03:44 AM »
Here is my hybrid 1kg homebuilt Dreamroast

Offline Nucer

• Standard User
  • about those grandkids.......
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2009, 07:30:13 AM »
I am envious but it is all about our toys.  Enjoy and let us know how your learning curve works out.

(green in Benbrook, Texas)
Nucer B-) Money doesn't buy happiness it just make the misery of work easier