Author Topic: Presto Scandinavian rewire help  (Read 1127 times)

fergusburger

Presto Scandinavian rewire help
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:38:29 AM »
I purchased a Presto Scandinavian at a thrift a month ago.  It worked fine the first three times, then the electronics flaked out, the clock failed and it stopped responding to any of the switches.  Similar problems have been reported by others so I wasn't surprised at this outcome.  I'd like to rewire the machine to circumvent the electronics and manually switch the heating elements.

The bottom of the casing is easily removed by screws to expose the circuit board that controls switches, clock and relays, but I can't figure out how to disassemble it any further.  The main relay that switches the AC current to the heating elements is up in the throat of the housing where I can't reach.  Do any of you have experience in rewiring this machine that you would be willing to share, or could even give me some tips on how to take the housing apart so I can follow the wires and work out the logic?

Thanks,

Tom

Jasonian

Re: Presto Scandinavian rewire help
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:55:55 PM »
I had issues with mine, and after it sat there for a year, I ended up throwing it in the trash. 

I'd rather resort to manual brew methods anyway.

Roasting Realtor

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 10:09:18 PM »
I bought 4 of these new at Kmart when they sold them for $20.  I am on the 2nd one so far.  The other two are stored in the basement as backups.  I tried to part out the one that died (electronics flaked out on it too), but it ended up being more trouble than it was worth.

Glacier

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
Great coffee pots as far as the coffee goes.

However, both of mine the electronics died as well.

The second one smelled like it was going to burn the house down.

:o

Offline dsil

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:13:04 PM »
Two Words: CHEMEX TECHNIVORM

fergusburger

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 08:47:50 PM »
Yeah, I guess I should just give it the heave-ho.  Its not like there aren't a million other things I should be doing around the house.  But you know, there are so many dead Prestos around there might just be a Nobel prize in it if you could figure out a quick and easy fix.

FB