Author Topic: Recommendations for an Electric Kettle?  (Read 14787 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Recommendations for an Electric Kettle?
« on: September 30, 2008, 03:03:13 PM »
I've been using the ol' stove top tea kettle for a while now but lately I have been thinking about getting an electric kettle. I've read that they can heat water wicked fast; faster than a microwave. Right now the slowest part of the whole brewing process for me is waiting for the water to heat up. If I had to guess it takes 8-10 minutes to heat up a full kettle on my electric stove and 4-5 minutes in the microwave.

I almost bought a 1 liter kettle that Big Lots had for $13.00, but I decided to wait because I would like to have something slightly bigger in volume. I think 1.5 liters would be the optimal size for me. I have also seen them for sale at stores like Marshall's, TJ Max, and Tuesday Morning.

I'll be using the kettle for press, pour over, Aeropress, and pre-heating the water for my vac pots. With some of these methods water temp is going to be pretty important, probably more important that the time it takes to heat the water.

I'm also looking for something that's pretty reliable and won't break the bank.

Any recommendations?

BoldJava

Re: Recommendations for an Electric Kettle?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 03:09:26 PM »
I like my Braun, 7 cup electric kettle.  Very quick.  Well designed and well built.  German made.  I would buy it again.  I paid $40 at Bed Bath and Beyond or one of the kitchen stores.  Cordless once lifted from base and automatically shuts off.

http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0069704.html

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 03:24:53 PM »
Once you start using one of these, you'll never regret it.  By the time I have my beans weighed out and ground, the water's about ready to pour.

I've seen B|Java's in action, and it's faster than mine.  I found a no-name unit on fleabay for $10, and love it.  You can find good deals if you're patient.  Cuisinart CJK-17 might fill your bill.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

garybt3

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 03:32:51 PM »
I've been using a Krupps Cordless model for over a year.

I think that my wife picked it up at Target for around $40 to $50.

Stainless steel construction, huge heating element, 50 oz capacity.

I'd say it does the job well enough, it just heats up water, ya know?  ;D

Gary

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 04:17:49 PM »
I use a Braun that I purchased from Bed Bath & Beyond. However, I was just in there the other day and they were selling the Bodum Mini (I forget the amount it holds), regularly at $19.99, for only $9.99. I bought one for the shop. It is plenty big enough for cupping & my small Chemex or small French Press.

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

FinerGrind

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »
I have an english made Russell Hobbs that we got as a wedding present (low, 20 yrs ago) and it's still going strong.  I descale when I see a film start on the element.  I like the old style - just checked http://m.ebay.com/bid/slideshow.asp?emv_id=110293480691&emvsid=r3797T193OC51.2e23&emvAD=309x219 and if you don't bid on it, I might.  I use it for coffee cupping and tea.

Woody

Stubbie

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 04:23:38 PM »
I have the same Braun that B|Java recommended, only in White/Grey.  Bed Bath & Beyond had it marked down to $11 or something because the box was mangled up *really* badly.  I almost didn't buy it, but the cheap bastard in me won out and man am I ever glad I did!  We have used it far more than we ever thought we would, and it heats up to 7 cups in fairly short order.

-Stubbie

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 05:31:34 PM »
I have an english made Russell Hobbs that we got as a wedding present (low, 20 yrs ago) and it's still going strong.  I descale when I see a film start on the element.  I like the old style - just checked http://m.ebay.com/bid/slideshow.asp?emv_id=110293480691&emvsid=r3797T193OC51.2e23&emvAD=309x219 and if you don't bid on it, I might.  I use it for coffee cupping and tea.

Woody

I was watching a TV show the other night that was talked about sudden electricity demands that can be put on a power station. The power plant was in the UK and they were anxiously awaiting the 3 million+ people that would be firing up their electric kettles for a cup of tea after the finish of a soccer match. It was within minutes of the finish of the match when the power demands started to spike, right on schedule.

I checked shipping on the kettle you linked to and it was like $33. YIKES. The bidding is all yours, sir.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:35:10 PM by headchange4u »

FinerGrind

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 06:00:57 PM »
Ha - love that story... UK is fanatic for tea.  I like the Marks & Spencer store brand - bright and malty.

33 bucks for shipping - didn't see that in my little blackberry screen - I'll pass as well...

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 06:18:05 AM »
I like this one for the spout. I'd rather have a nicer looking SS one but I prefer the tight spout this one because I do a lot of pourover with it and use that feature to control things.

If you don't plan on doing that or you are using a different prep like AP or FP it won't matter but I like this one and you will find for less than MSRP at Target stores.

https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=66+320&Cat=
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 07:24:29 AM »
I figure I will recommend my favorite - a Zojirushi Electric Dispensing Post.  Expensive, yes.  Could not live without it.

Has 3 electronic temps 175F for Green Tea, 195F for Coffee, 208F for everything else (like soup, cocoa, etc).

And of course if you buy it at my favorite place, Costco, you can take it back anytime:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11280592&search=zojirushi&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=zojirushi&Ntt=zojirushi&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Go ahead and indulge yourself - you deserve it.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 08:06:52 AM »
I figure I will recommend my favorite - a Zojirushi Electric Dispensing Post.  Expensive, yes.  Could not live without it.

Has 3 electronic temps 175F for Green Tea, 195F for Coffee, 208F for everything else (like soup, cocoa, etc).

And of course if you buy it at my favorite place, Costco, you can take it back anytime:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11280592&search=zojirushi&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=zojirushi&Ntt=zojirushi&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Wow, 5L. That thing has to be huge. How long does it take to heat the water?

You do raise a good point: none of the other units that I have looked at say anything about the temps they heat the water. I assume it's boiling or very close. Anyone ever measured the water temps in their kettle?

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 08:10:25 AM »

Wow, 5L. That thing has to be huge. How long does it take to heat the water?

You do raise a good point: none of the other units that I have looked at say anything about the temps they heat the water. I assume it's boiling or very close. Anyone ever measured the water temps in their kettle?

Well, you typically keep it on all the time (or put it on a timer), so heat up time is not a big deal, and you don't have to fill it completely.

All kettles will boil to 212F, and most people have some formula where they count while they wait for it to cool down, and hope the temp is somewhere between 195-205F (ideal for coffee).  Or have a thermometer nearby.

I just the Zojirushi, and there is no guesswork.  It is like high-speed internet - once you have one, you can't live without it.  Seriously.

BoldJava

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 08:23:11 AM »
>>>
>>>

I don't have a dispensing pot but do have 3 other Zojirushi appliances.  All are top notch.   The dispensing pot wouldn't work that well for me as I do alot of pourovers.  Prefer the tight pouring point that John references and don't need all that water.

RE:  Braun kettle.  Boils quickly (2 Cups in 2:00, 30 seconds later I pour for a 195 steep).  Used a thermo to check temps.

B|Java

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 09:09:05 AM »
Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

I found some smaller Zojirushi units, but I have decided a pour spout is a must.

I found these on Ebay, all under $40 shipped (except for the Capresso unit):

De'Longhi DSJ900 Nice looking unit. I like the aluminum body, but I don't see a pour spout.

Kenmore 1.7 L Nice stainless steel body and it looks like a pour spout similar to the one John linked to. Currently close to the top of the list.

Hamilton Beach Also nice.

Capresso 259.03 H2O Plus Cool looking glass unit but pricy.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 12:04:32 PM by headchange4u »