Author Topic: My latest Craig's List Score!  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
  • Proud Member of the Wisconsin-Illinois Cabal
My latest Craig's List Score!
« on: April 03, 2013, 06:47:04 PM »
I've upgraded our coffee service for BBQ competitions this year...

A Bunn commercial airport brewer (pour over model) and a 3.8 liter airpot in almost perfect condition for $80! 

I tested it and the water coming out of the cone was at 192 degrees, so I expect it ot be a couple of degrees hotter from the shower head.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
Re: My latest Craig's List Score!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 07:00:40 PM »
Sweet buy. A double at the church and a single at work, same basic family of machine.

But shell out a bit more for the "gourmet basket," and use the fast-flow deep filters. They'll give you headroom for bloom.

Depending on grind, filters, and flow rate though, you might be OK with the stock basket.

Excellent price. The double I got for the church was a Craigslist find. The owner actually made a decimal error when we agreed on a price -- then honored it. Yep. 1/10 price for a new one. And the error was on the phone -- so I guess he didn't have a good feel for his various hardware (failed business).

Tip for Craigslisters: Use http://www.ifttt.com/ and get alerts via SMS. If you're a long-term shopper for items on Craigslist in a bit metro area, it's perfect.

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 07:11:22 PM »

But shell out a bit more for the "gourmet basket," and use the fast-flow deep filters. They'll give you headroom for bloom.

Depending on grind, filters, and flow rate though, you might be OK with the stock basket.

Thanks... So far I just tested it with water, no coffee. I'll probably do a batch over the weekend to see how it goes.

How much coffee have you been using?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:12:15 PM »
Well done Ron.

Enjoy the brewer.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:45:35 PM »

That's a 3 liter pot? 5.5 to 6 oz. I vary it depending on origin and roast level. It's tough to find a happy median for the church crowd. A fairly coarse grind; I could probably go finer. I did have problems with bloom before I got the "gourmet" baskets. Bunn bills them as being useful because folks who use better coffees tend to brew using more coffee. That has some sense to it. I tend to think of it as a bloom issue though, myself -- though kind of for the same reason that Bunn expresses it differently.      ;)

At work we use a 2.2 liter pot, with a finer grind (obviously). I don't recall how much I set the grinder for for that. Come to think of it, I think the reason I don't recall is because I tweaked the timer knob on the grinder over time without using a scale at all, just going by results in the pot.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:48:33 PM by rasqual »

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 07:52:37 PM »

That's a 3 liter pot? 5.5 to 6 oz.

3.8 liter.  So maybe a little more? I'll have to adjust as it goes, but that gives me a starting point.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 09:04:39 PM »
yeah, come to think of it I wondered whether there was an aspect ratio issue with the photo.  ;-)

Roger the larger capacity. Report back on results! Also divulge grind particulars when you're satisfied.

Bunn is an interesting world.

Dude, can you make CoffeeCon this year? I would be so happy if you'd be among the demonstrating home roasters on May 4. You changed my life when you brought that Sidamo to the Oak Park meet-up so many years ago.   :-)

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 05:44:46 AM »
yeah, come to think of it I wondered whether there was an aspect ratio issue with the photo.  ;-)

Roger the larger capacity. Report back on results! Also divulge grind particulars when you're satisfied.

Bunn is an interesting world.

Dude, can you make CoffeeCon this year? I would be so happy if you'd be among the demonstrating home roasters on May 4. You changed my life when you brought that Sidamo to the Oak Park meet-up so many years ago.   :-)

It's an iPhone picture that I cropped to not show the clutter of my coffee bar :D

I am planning on coming, so I can bring the roasters. Let me know the logistics as we get closer.

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »
That's the exact model basket we're using.

The filters are 20100.0000

Also, here's a shot of something I've found important. Seems like I'm always seeing folks leave their filters lying out in the open. The things flatten gradually, over time, and the fluting loses its crispness. Then when you go to basket the filters, they flop about and just aren't all that easy to work with any more. Seriously. So a few years ago I just refused to do that. I always put 'em in some kind of a container to keep the sides from splaying outward and losing their edge. Definitely makes a difference for any size coffee maker.

You know how they come in the case -- with little bundles stacked. Not sure how many in a bundle. I just pull out a bundle at a time, and leave the rest in the box. Works well.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »
If you want to be sure, here's a measurement:

(parallax on left, not on right)

Tex

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 03:11:07 PM »
That's the exact model basket we're using.

The filters are 20100.0000

Also, here's a shot of something I've found important. Seems like I'm always seeing folks leave their filters lying out in the open. The things flatten gradually, over time, and the fluting loses its crispness. Then when you go to basket the filters, they flop about and just aren't all that easy to work with any more. Seriously. So a few years ago I just refused to do that. I always put 'em in some kind of a container to keep the sides from splaying outward and losing their edge. Definitely makes a difference for any size coffee maker.

You know how they come in the case -- with little bundles stacked. Not sure how many in a bundle. I just pull out a bundle at a time, and leave the rest in the box. Works well.

Margarine tub?

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 03:13:44 PM »
Looks more like an ice cream bucket.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 06:38:54 PM »

I loathe margarine.

Has happened: I'm at someone's house for a meal and they ask if I'd like some butter. I say "why yes, that would be delicious on this!" and then they bring out the margarine.    :-\

Because, of course, sex with a blow-up doll is the same as sex with a real person.    ;)

Aromajunkie

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 09:19:08 PM »