Author Topic: Recommendations for an Electric Kettle?  (Read 15009 times)

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
Re: Recommendations for an Electric Kettle?
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2011, 07:51:15 AM »
+1 on the Pino.  Mine has worked flawlessly since last summer.  Of course, if you're looking for a "pour over ready" kettle, the recent travelling road show Bonavita is a good choice IMHO.

+2 on the Pino.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2011, 07:53:31 AM »
Interesting bit of news. It would seem that the Saeco kettles have been discontinued. I called the company today and the lady on the phone told me Saeco was bought by Phillips back in September. Phillips decided to discontinue all Saeco kettles and drip makers. The lady on the phone was very nice and will be refunding the purchase price of the kettle.

EricBNC

« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2011, 08:13:04 AM »
Buy the Pino and forget the rest.

B|Java
Pino kettles die just like their cheaper counter parts - it is just more painful when it happens.  The Aroma AWK is so much cheaper with as good a track record.  For tea lower temps matter but with coffee the optimal temp is so close to boiling that precision can be replaced by a thermometer and a few moments of time with a standard kettle.  If you are boiling water for pour over coffee I think the spout shape trumps the PID controller too.

BoldJava

« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2011, 08:17:53 AM »
... I called the company today and the lady on the phone told me Saeco was bought by Phillips back in September...

Old news. Phillips (Dutch) needs to increase their lines to expand revenue so they are in gobbling mode.  They bought a company I had stock in -- I immediately dumped it on the news.  Too big of a conglomerate and their business lines aren't integrated.

Tex

« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »
... I called the company today and the lady on the phone told me Saeco was bought by Phillips back in September...

Old news. Phillips (Dutch) needs to increase their lines to expand revenue so they are in gobbling mode.  They bought a company I had stock in -- I immediately dumped it on the news.  Too big of a conglomerate and their business lines aren't integrated.

Very old news - like it happened in mid-2009. This made Philips the parent company of Gaggia of Italy.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2012, 05:30:46 AM »
Has anyone tried the Kalorik kettle. I Bought the Pino but this might be another option for those that still need one.

http://www.amazon.com/Kalorik-JK-28345-Cordless-Electric/dp/B003FGWA5O

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2012, 07:34:24 AM »
Has anyone tried the Kalorik kettle. I Bought the Pino but this might be another option for those that still need one.

http://www.amazon.com/Kalorik-JK-28345-Cordless-Electric/dp/B003FGWA5O

It has 1440 watts ... that should do a nice job heating your water quickly.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

EricBNC

« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2012, 07:59:13 AM »
I figure I will recommend my favorite - a Zojirushi Electric Dispensing Post.  Expensive, yes.  Could not live without it.

Has 3 electronic temps 175F for Green Tea, 195F for Coffee, 208F for everything else (like soup, cocoa, etc).

And of course if you buy it at my favorite place, Costco, you can take it back anytime:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11280592&search=zojirushi&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=zojirushi&Ntt=zojirushi&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Go ahead and indulge yourself - you deserve it.

I had the chance to use one of these at CoffeeCon.  It is on my short list of items to buy - works great.

jbviau

« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »
I'm periodically tempted by the Zojirushis. Seems like 208 degrees would actually be better for coffee than 195, right? Cooling en route to the grounds and all...

EricBNC

« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2012, 09:50:37 AM »
We used it with the non electric Bonavita Kettle - one touch dispensing is nice - here is a link to the one we used:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-CD-WBC30-Electric-3-Liter-Champagne/dp/B0011528S0

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2012, 10:40:49 AM »
I've been using this type of appliance for 20 years, popular in Asian households. I bought the 3L Zoe several years ago; it's a little short for coffee IMHO, get the 4L for the extra height. The CCD on a scale is too tall for the one in my kitchen.

EricBNC

« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2012, 08:30:41 PM »
Bonavita is coming out with a new one liter PID kettle - no plastic/water contact, goose neck pouring spout, and good temp stability even with only 250 mL sitting in the kettle.  Here is a couple links for those who are curious:

http://www.home-barista.com/brewing/bonavita-pid-kettle-1st-look-t21603.html

http://www.clivecoffee.com/learn/2012/04/bonavita-variable-electric-kettle-a-first-look/

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
I saw that Bonavita at SCAA and was told it will be coming out this Summer, which might mean this Fall. Either way it's what I'm planning on getting.

BoldJava

« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2013, 06:47:46 AM »

B|Java

My Pino lasted 13 months.  Heating system quit.  I have a call into tech support to see if we can troubleshoot it but I am doubtful.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »

B|Java

My Pino lasted 13 months.  Heating system quit.  I have a call into tech support to see if we can troubleshoot it but I am doubtful.

My Pino is on the verge of failing also. Temperature readings are eradicate at times and the when setting the unit to a predetermined  setting, say 200*F, it blows past it to a boil and then the temp will drop way past the preset before the heat kicks back on. The ability to hold a temperature has never been as precise on the Pino as some of the other kettles I have owned, but it has never been that bad.

This makes probably the 8 or 9th kettle that has gone belly up on me, all various brands. Sadly, my first kettle, a $24 Melitta that came from target, which was sold to a friend and ended up back at work, is still going strong. It seems the more expensive the unit, the less reliable.

I'm thinking that I may forgo the electric kettle on my next purchase and go with a hot water dispenser similar to this:

It does not have the fine temperature control as some of the kettles I have owned but it has good ratings, almost twice the water capacity of  most the kettles out there (a big plus when you fill a kettle as many times a day as I do), and is cheaper than kettle with temp control.

I've also been looking at sink/counter mounted hot water systems similar to what is pictured below, but I have not done enough research to take the plunge on such a unit.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:26:29 AM by headchange4u »