Author Topic: Recommendations for an Electric Kettle?  (Read 14791 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Recommendations for an Electric Kettle?
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2013, 06:33:45 AM »
Well, the Pino bit the dust this morning, and it about took my house with it.

As per my normal morning routine, I go to the kitchen, feed the cats, fill the kettle, and turn it on to my preset temperature of 201*F. I went back upstairs to continue getting ready for work. I come back down the stairs about 15 minutes later and I hear what sounds like running water as I approach the kitchen. What I had mistaken for running water was in fact my Pino kettle at a ROLLING boil. It was boiling so hard that water was spraying out of the spout (kettle was only about half full). There was also a thick smell of ozone in the air, and the display on the base unit was off, but still the water continued to boil. I ran over and grabbed the kettle of the base. Once I got the kettle removed I could see smoke wafting out of the base around the area where it makes contact with the kettle. I sincerely believe that the unit would have been on fire if I had not gotten to it when I did.

So now I'm off to Amazon to find a new kettle. I will not be a Pino. Thanks goodness for my Prime $3.99 overnight shipping.

BoldJava

« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2013, 06:56:17 AM »

I attempted to contact Pino, without success both via email and phone, when mine bit the dust.  I have little good to say about them.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2013, 07:02:57 AM »

I attempted to contact Pino, without success both via email and phone, when mine bit the dust.  I have little good to say about them.

I thought about contacting them, but it would be nothing more than a bitch session. I don't want another Pino product in my house.

BTW,

If anyone wants an extra kettle for their Pino you can have mine. I think the kettle is fine. It was the base that malfunctioned IMHO.

Offline fore

• Standard User
« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2013, 07:29:12 AM »
Boy, am I glad I went for the Bonavita!  Lucky HC4U that you caught that in time!

JW

« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2013, 07:36:22 AM »
I have the Kalorik. I bought it last August when my very old Phillips bit the dust. I have never owned a Pino. I really wanted something that held more than 1L or 1qt though, so many of the kettles out there were not the correct volume.

http://www.amazon.com/Kalorik-Cordless-Electric-Kettle-Stainless/dp/B003FGWA5O/ref=pd_sbs_k_7

It is a rugged beast. This thing has travelled with me many times as well as being my household kettle. A few caveats. It is single wall stainless, so if you grab the outside when the water is 200F , you will burn yourself. The ergonomics of the handle  are great and while you are stuck with preset temperatures, I have checked them via a thermoprobe and they were right on. The temperature sensor is a metal thermocouple, which is really nice too. I really only use it to boil anyway. It does have a keep warm function to maintain a temperature, but I have never used it. The so called filter screen is not a filter screen at all. Not a problem for me though as my water is really good where I live and I really don't have a scale problem (I have never had to descale it).  Reviewers on amazon have complained about the top button for opening the kettle, but I haven't had the slightest problem with mine. I would buy another one assuming it didn't almost catch on fire like your Pino did.

Edit. One thing I forgot to mention is that the water does not come in contact with plastic during the boil. This was important for me.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:42:46 AM by JW »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User

SJM

« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2013, 08:45:49 AM »
The Aroma Kettle is a workhorse !!!!
Cheap.  Attractive. 

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-AWK-115S-X-Press-2-Liter-Cordless/dp/B000KDVTJI

I tried the Bonavita temp controlled kettle and thought it was just totally annoying. Bells and whistles that all have to be trained and dealt with.  Give me fast boiling water and I can manage the rest.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2013, 08:57:16 AM »
The Aroma Kettle is a workhorse !!!!
Cheap.  Attractive. 

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-AWK-115S-X-Press-2-Liter-Cordless/dp/B000KDVTJI

I tried the Bonavita temp controlled kettle and thought it was just totally annoying. Bells and whistles that all have to be trained and dealt with.  Give me fast boiling water and I can manage the rest.

I know it's sad, but I really have become accustomed to a kettle with some type of temp control/display. It has become a must have feature for me.

Tex

« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2013, 09:36:58 AM »
My daughter has this one: http://www.costco.com/Jura-Capresso-H2O-Pro-Kettle.product.11747743.html

It's programmable, which she like for baby formula, and I like for her AP I use. It has a easily directable stream from the spout.

SJM

« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2013, 09:38:28 AM »
I know it's sad, but I really have become accustomed to a kettle with some type of temp control/display. It has become a must have feature for me.

Are you surprised that I still insist on driving a car with a manual transmission too????
 :-[

Susan

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2013, 09:59:02 AM »
My daughter has this one: http://www.costco.com/Jura-Capresso-H2O-Pro-Kettle.product.11747743.html

It's programmable, which she like for baby formula, and I like for her AP I use. It has a easily directable stream from the spout.

I've had one of the Capresso glass kettles and was on my 3rd unit when I sold it to a friend. The last unit I sent back for replacement had arcs of blue electricity coming out of it. The guy I sold it to has had to replace it once. His current one seems to work fine.

Capresso has great customer service, but I'm a little wary of their products now.

I ended up getting the unit JW suggested. I skipped the Hamilton Beach because some of the reviews stated there were rubber pieces inside the kettle that come in contact with the water.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2013, 01:49:31 PM »
I went home an cracked open the base of the Pino, just to see if I could figure out what happened. It was pretty obvious once I got the case apart: exploded capacitor, burned/melted wiring, and 2 different sections of circuit board fried, including a bank of diodes. Shots of the carnage:

JW

« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2013, 01:57:55 PM »
Wow. I'm surprised you didn't hear that capacitor explode even upstairs. I had one pop on me a few years ago and my ears were ringing for days.

ecc

« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »
Double wow!  Good thing you caught that when you did.