Author Topic: Brewers that operate at 195-205 F  (Read 22927 times)

slurp

Re: BUNN STX
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2009, 01:30:43 PM »
Anybody got any feedback on the Bunn STX?  Bunn's website says "Available Soon", but several on-line vendors have them - looks like about 4150 shipped.  Bunn claims it brewa at 200 and does 10 cups in 3 to 4 minutes.   It also has a thermal carafe instaed of the warming plate that so many of us love.

I considered waiting for the STX but instead bought the Bunn GRX with glass carafe and heating element. My reasoning, rightly or wrongly, was that the STX thermal carafe, being made of stainless steel, (a) would not hold temperature as long as a traditional double-walled glass thermos, and (b) a steel vessel was more likely to adversely affect taste than glass would.

Also, I didn't think the warming plate would damage the coffee as long as I removed the glass carafe from the warming plate immediately after the brew completed and transfered its contents to the thermos.

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2009, 09:45:55 AM »

Tex,
Sorry to be dense, but are you saying that the Bunn STX has an electronic thermostat or one of those bi-metal tstats?.  The specs that are on the link you provided say only "internal thermostat" without describing the type.
Bob Feuker

Steve7

Re: Brewers that operate at 195-205 F
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »
what do technivorms have? They ae supposedly superb for temp?!

Tex

« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2009, 11:37:34 AM »

Tex,
Sorry to be dense, but are you saying that the Bunn STX has an electronic thermostat or one of those bi-metal tstats?.  The specs that are on the link you provided say only "internal thermostat" without describing the type.

I've been told (no parts catalog available yet) that the STX has a bi-metallic tstat. These can be made to a very high degree of accuracy if a company is willing to spend the money. Unfortunately, cost is the sticking point with consumer brewers. That's why the TV & Bunn commercial machines cost so much - higher quality parts. The good thing about Bunn machines is the water is kept hot. This lets the brew temps normalize, eliminating a lot of the dead-band problems of tstats.

Myself, I prefer my cheap Melitta Clarity - great brew temps and fine for 1 cup or 10. I used to have one of these1 & 2, but gave it to the church once my tail gating days ended.

edited1: Here's why I like the Bunn VPR: adjustable tstat (pg #8). I wouldn't bet on the consumer machines having a capillary tstat.

edited2: This would be a very simple brewer to PID if one wanted total control over brew temps!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:52:14 AM by Tex »

Tex

« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2009, 01:15:08 PM »
I've just been told that Bunn consumer brewers DO have capillary tstats. Can someone confirm this?

Offline nimbus

• Standard User
« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
+1 for Technivorm....

I sent my Technivorm back unused for a refund the same day it arrived after noticing how much of its plastic was exposed to hot steam and thus especially vulnerable to toxic bisphenol-a leaching -- and confirming my suspicions by conversing to a technician in the Technivorm U.S. support team who conceded the possibility.

Having done no research on bisphenol-a leaching, are you saying I'm gonna die because I use my Technivorm?
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
Associate Professor of Physics
Ivy Tech Community College
Bellarmine University

slurp

« Reply #156 on: December 14, 2009, 02:50:45 PM »
+1 for Technivorm....

I sent my Technivorm back unused for a refund the same day it arrived after noticing how much of its plastic was exposed to hot steam and thus especially vulnerable to toxic bisphenol-a leaching -- and confirming my suspicions by conversing to a technician in the Technivorm U.S. support team who conceded the possibility.

Having done no research on bisphenol-a leaching, are you saying I'm gonna die because I use my Technivorm?

Here's the beginning of an answer to your question, mattquist:

"Health Effects

"Bisphenol A is an endocrine disruptor, which can mimic the body's own hormones and may lead to negative health effects.[15][16][17][18] Early development appears to be the period of greatest sensitivity to its effects.[19] Regulatory bodies have determined safety levels for humans, but those safety levels are currently being questioned or under review as a result of new scientific studies. [20][21]

"In 2009 the The Endocrine Society released a scientific statement expressing concern over current human exposure to BPA.[22]..."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #157 on: December 14, 2009, 04:19:50 PM »
+1 for Technivorm....

Here's the beginning of an answer to your question, mattquist:

"Health Effects

"Bisphenol A is an endocrine disruptor, which can mimic the body's own hormones and may lead to negative health effects.[15][16][17][18] Early development appears to be the period of greatest sensitivity to its effects.[19] Regulatory bodies have determined safety levels for humans, but those safety levels are currently being questioned or under review as a result of new scientific studies. [20][21]

"In 2009 the The Endocrine Society released a scientific statement expressing concern over current human exposure to BPA.[22]..."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

Note that BPA is not present in most plastics...  Polycarbonate is the main offender - especially poorly produced polycarbonate (sounds like something out of 'Hairspray', don't it? - "Penny Lou Pingleton, you are positively, permanently punished!").  And if you have been using your Technivorm for any length of time, and it actually had plastic originally containing BPA, the leachable BPA has probably already seeped out...   

It has been hypothesized that much of the actual human BPA exposure comes from canned foods.  Cans with plastic interior coatings may contain BPA, and the canning process heats them up and disperses BPA into foods, especially acidic foods... 

And again, the jury is still out on BPA - most studies are using gavaged solutions that would not be experienced in real life unless you were recklessly drinking out of freshly-made polycarbonate at every meal...  I certainly wouldn't want my grandkids drinking hot liquids out of polycarbonate (or eating canned spaghetti for that matter), but when you look at the worst reputed effects, they are minimal on mature adults.

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2009, 08:54:31 PM »
I got an Aquabrew TE-118 on eBay last Firday for $49.  It arrived today and I just ran a pot of water through it to try it out.   192* into the pot.  It needs a little minor cleaning and then it will be time to brew.

kp

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2010, 10:38:36 AM »
I got an Aquabrew TE-118 on eBay last Firday for $49.  It arrived today and I just ran a pot of water through it to try it out.   192* into the pot.  It needs a little minor cleaning and then it will be time to brew.

kp

Great buy ... those things go for $490 brand new.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2010, 03:56:58 AM »

[/quote]

Great buy ... those things go for $490 brand new.

[/quote]

There is a site that sells them new for $299.  So far mine is working great!  The only problem was that it came with a 1.5 L glass thermal carafe.  I ordered a 2 L stainless thermal carafe from Aquabrew that came in last Friday.  Now I'll be able to make what I consider a full pot.   :D

kp

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2010, 07:13:04 AM »
There is a site that sells them new for $299.  So far mine is working great!  The only problem was that it came with a 1.5 L glass thermal carafe.  I ordered a 2 L stainless thermal carafe from Aquabrew that came in last Friday.  Now I'll be able to make what I consider a full pot.   :D
kp

How much did that one set you back ... if you don't mind me asking?

lp, 7-Ski

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2010, 04:08:59 PM »
The carafe was $45...couldn't find it much cheaper then that.  The coffee maker makes however much water is added, so I use the 60oz mark on the water pitcher for the new carafe, and a 48oz. mark I added for the smaller carafe.  I use 3 1/2oz of coffee for the larger carafe, and just under 3oz for the smaller one.

kp

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2010, 04:39:48 PM »
The carafe was $45...couldn't find it much cheaper then that.  The coffee maker makes however much water is added, so I use the 60oz mark on the water pitcher for the new carafe, and a 48oz. mark I added for the smaller carafe.  I use 3 1/2oz of coffee for the larger carafe, and just under 3oz for the smaller one.

kp

Sounds like you've got this figured out to the nth degree.  Good for you.  Enjoy!

lp, 7-Ski

chancuff

« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2010, 01:17:45 PM »
I like how Delonghi's site has them for $149, and the Buy.com says they retail for $350.

Yeah, Amazon has the list price at $350 as well.  Go figure.

If you want to see something real "off" though check here:  http://www.factorydirect2you.com/decomabwiseb.html?zmam=3697690&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=DCM900

Wait long enough and opportunity will knock ... $69, including shipping. 

See ebay Item number: 270513140092