Author Topic: Hot Top or knock off?  (Read 4581 times)

milowebailey

Re: Hot Top or knock off?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 06:23:13 AM »
Serving      170 gram in 10 minutes.

I know less than a little about Hottops, but they'll do more than 170g won't they?
Yes you do Peter!  Mine says it will do 250 grams... but I normally only roast 200 with it.  although I'm a newbie with a hottop too... I've only had mine a few months.

10 minutes.... no way.... more like 25

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 09:16:29 AM »
Serving      170 gram in 10 minutes.

I know less than a little about Hottops, but they'll do more than 170g won't they?
Yes you do Peter!  Mine says it will do 250 grams... but I normally only roast 200 with it.  although I'm a newbie with a hottop too... I've only had mine a few months.

10 minutes.... no way.... more like 25

That's why I'm wondering why that spec sheet Gary copied says the capacity is 170g.   ???
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 11:14:05 AM »
That's why I'm wondering why that spec sheet Gary copied says the capacity is 170g.   ???

Here's where he got it.

garybt3

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 11:26:29 AM »

Here's where he got it.

Yep, that's the exact same place.... I posted the link as I was wondering myself about the 'specs'.

I'll bet you could do a fast 10 min roast with a 170g load, although I'll stick to exactly 250g on each and every roast...

My green bean leftover's go into my 'Tag' signature blend bag, and I bring it to work to share with the people that like my coffee, the 'as long as it's free crowd'  :P it's all good, as long as it's fresh! ;D

Another thing that caught my eye was the 220V 740watts. ???

Tex

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 11:35:17 AM »
Yep, that's the exact same place.... I posted the link as I was wondering myself about the 'specs'.

I'll bet you could do a fast 10 min roast with a 170g load, although I'll stick to exactly 250g on each and every roast...

My green bean leftover's go into my 'Tag' signature blend bag, and I bring it to work to share with the people that like my coffee, the 'as long as it's free crowd'  :P it's all good, as long as it's fresh! ;D

Another thing that caught my eye was the 220V 740watts. ???

Toss in ~20% Indian Robusta & I'll bet they like your freebs even more. I don't know why, but the uneducated palates seems to prefer a bit of burning rubber in their cup of joe.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 12:59:52 PM »
Toss in ~20% Indian Robusta & I'll bet they like your freebs even more. I don't know why, but the uneducated palates seems to prefer a bit of burning rubber in their cup of joe.

Well Robert ... it just adds to the old adage that ignorance is bliss.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 01:04:48 PM »

D.U.M. assumption, Robert.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 01:12:27 PM »
D.U.M. assumption, Robert.

In my experience with people who are used to their brand of coffee (Maxwell House or similar) they form an opinion about how a "good" coffee should taste like and when they are given the chance to sample specialty coffee which is out of their realm of experience you may get a comment like "That doesn't taste like a real cup of coffee" or "I prefer my vanilla/hazelnut infused Costa Rican".  They just don't know when they are getting the genuine article.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

garybt3

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 01:19:46 PM »
I can smell Robusta whenever I visit the indy shops... :-X
It reminds me of Fri night street racing back in my youthful reckless daze.

Since I got hooked on homeroast, It's hard to like any blends with any robusta in it. I think for the last 4 years, since I got my Livia 90S ,mostly what I've had is mostly SO espresso. I had at one time really liked SM Monkey Blend, but it's been around 2 years since I've ordered any.

I got hooked on harrar, and like to blend 2 parts @ City+ with 1 part FC+ for my espresso milk based drinks. Damn stuff is magical, like floral, berry ??, then roast lightly. Like milk chocolate, take it to 1 or 2 snaps into 2 C. Like dark Chocolate, then try 15 to 20 seconds into rolling 2C. And it looks like the greedy Ethiopian government is going to blend my precious beans into obscure bland garbage, just so they can make some extra $ for themselves... {rant mode off}

Back on Topic.

So ummm you think it's going to take about 144 units or more before we can get a group buy going on??? :)

Tex

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »
So ummm you think it's going to take about 144 units or more before we can get a group buy going on??? :)

Waiting for their reps to make contact. I'd only buy one of these if it was 120 VAC. I'd be worried the different electrical ratings would mess up any internal logic.

I've been talking to folks about blending the same beans roasted to different levels. I've made a few believers!

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 02:20:16 PM »

Waiting for their reps to make contact. I'd only buy one of these if it was 120 VAC. I'd be worried the different electrical ratings would mess up any internal logic.

I've been talking to folks about blending the same beans roasted to different levels. I've made a few believers!

The 220v is not so scary... what is the Hz?? we are 60 in the US if its 50Hz that may monkey with the electronics but I suspect the electronics are low voltage and thus protected by what ever is knocking down the 220v... milowbailey may know better since he has been pocking around the hot top with a multimeter

milowebailey

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 02:30:27 PM »
Only two things are different with a 220 volt unit.

1) the heating element
2) the transformer to convert the 220 down to low voltage.... or from 110 volts in the USA version.

the low voltage... and logic circuits should be the same.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 03:25:03 PM »
Only two things are different with a 220 volt unit.

1) the heating element
2) the transformer to convert the 220 down to low voltage.... or from 110 volts in the USA version.

the low voltage... and logic circuits should be the same.

That is what I suspected... and actually I would not be surprised if the transformer is the same and just draws from one leg of the 220v, just like the 220v commercial brewers... (or at least the one I have from Newco)

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 01:29:02 AM »
The supplier sent me this quote. For a knock off, this is too pricey for my taste.

1   CR 8828   Automatic Coffee beans roaster.                   $3,900     $3,900

10   CR 8828   Automatic Coffee beans roaster.                   $2,500     $25,000

50   CR 8828   Automatic Coffee beans roaster.                   $1,050     $52,500

250   CR 8828   Automatic Coffee beans roaster.                   $910     $227,500

500   CR 8828   Automatic Coffee beans roaster.                   $840     $420,000

1000   CR 8828   Automatic Coffee beans roaster.                   $770     $770,000

No coffee, No workee!

MindanaoBob

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2009, 04:48:51 AM »
The supplier sent me this quote. For a knock off, this is too pricey for my taste.

Yikes!  That iRoast2 is looking better and better!    ;D