Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 123135 times)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2011, 11:42:54 AM »
1......  I don't really care about watching the beans dance ....

2. I was also wondering if a metal canister/tube might make for a good medium to install a bean probe temp right through the side and into the mass of beans.  Thought it might help dial in ending the roast manually...

1. Its more to it than that. Most drum roasters are roasting blind, no visual indications of problems(except temp gauges) like fires until its too late. you would be under the same issue as that and IMO that isn't what I would use a sonofresco for.

2. If you did put a probe in there you would be wasting time and money. They have one built into the sonofresco if you push the up and down arrow at the same time it gives you the temperature(real time if you hold it down) in Celsius. from there you can decide when to shut it off manual style. As for me and my house 3=light 4=medium 5=dark for most beans (sumatra is an exception)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 11:47:54 AM by Joe »
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

jspain

« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2011, 11:47:28 AM »

2. I was also wondering if a metal canister/tube might make for a good medium to install a bean probe temp right through the side and into the mass of beans.  Thought it might help dial in ending the roast manually...

1. Its more to it than that. Most drum roasters are roasting blind, no visual indications of problems(except temp gauges) like fires until its too late. you would be under the same issue as that and IMO that isn't what I would use a sonofresco for.

2. If you did put a probe in there you would be wasting time and money. They have one built into the sonofresco if you push the up and down arrow at the same time it gives you the temperature in Celsius. from there you can decide when to shut it off manual style. As for me and my house 3=light 4=medium 5=dark for most beans (sumatra is an exception)

Amen!  ;D

Tex

« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2011, 01:32:58 PM »

2. If you did put a probe in there you would be wasting time and money. They have one built into the sonofresco if you push the up and down arrow at the same time it gives you the temperature(real time if you hold it down) in Celsius. from there you can decide when to shut it off manual style. As for me and my house 3=light 4=medium 5=dark for most beans (sumatra is an exception)

Except that's environmental temp, not bean mass. Both are informative; but IMO one is more so than the other.

But you're right, an extra probe is worthless, since there's nothing you can do with the info. With my Sono I roasted by color & sound, and used the program as a fail-safe in case I got distracted.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2011, 01:47:05 PM »
Except that's environmental temp, not bean mass. Both are informative; but IMO one is more so than the other.

Nah they are both relative. If a bean is supposed to get to first crack at say 415F and it does according to the temp sensor in air mass then you aren't going to benefit one way or the other the bean mass temp would be say... 430F for example. Having a probe in the mass and I have tried it on a smaller scale didn't do anything more for me personally.

You are right on a sono there is nothing you can do aside from diagnose a problem.

However if you are looking to shut it down at say 430F with a quick C-F conversion you can do it. If you make a mistake you can adjust.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Tex

« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2011, 02:03:59 PM »
I wish I'd have gotten around to switching the blower to a variac. I'm still convinced that variable air control would be a big boost to a Sono - IF IT DIDN'T CONFLICT WITH THE PROGRAMMING.

jspain

« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2011, 08:58:25 AM »
Sono users,

After two years of no problems with my 2#er I hit the wall last night trying to roast. I went to the shop, turned on the gas, hit the switches, and no fire and an E2 message came up! I did all the recommended stuff. No airflow issues. No air in the gas line. Clean chaf filter. Clean sensor and still continued E2 error readings.

I called Sono and a nice guy (Shaun) asked me to take the back off, look at the blinking light on the RAM box to see if it was working, it was and I called again. He wants this idiot now to take a volt meter and check the voltage at the valve to see if it stays at 120 volts. I'm going to do that tonight. I don't have a volt meter so I'm taking one home from the church with me. Those wires are covered in plastic where it connects at the valve. I need to figure out how too make the connection with the volt meter to the valve wire connection.

Thank goodness I have Ringo on stand-by! I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff! Nice to have friends who know a lot more than me!

Anyone else had this issue? What was the problem? Thanks in advance for your sharing!  Jim   

yankeeNH

Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2011, 09:06:38 AM »
I've had to replace the temp sensor...I believe that too is an E2 error (someone correct me if I'm wrong--I don't ha e any documentation with me right now). I'm assuming they said to check that? It's a relatively easy fix.

jspain

« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2011, 09:50:56 AM »
I've had to replace the temp sensor...I believe that too is an E2 error (someone correct me if I'm wrong--I don't ha e any documentation with me right now). I'm assuming they said to check that? It's a relatively easy fix.

YankeeNH,

That is one thing that both the manuel and Son said to check. Once I told them that the sensor was clean and how I clean it they seemed to think that it was OK. They also said that generally when the sensor is going bad the first thing you notice is the need to continue changing the roast setting to a higher setting because the sensor is going bad. I never have had to do that. Did you have that issue where you had to continue to move your roast setting higher to get the same roast before the sensor went bad? How old was your Sono before you had to replace the sensor? Do you roast alot?

Thanks for your help! Jim  ps, I hope that is all it is!

yankeeNH

« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2011, 10:20:18 AM »
Hi Jim--

Yeah, I've roasted a lot on it. Funny thing, I've never had the issue with having to adjust the roast level...I'm fanatical about keeping the sensor cleaned with the Scotch-Brite...but what *did* happen was there was small movement due to all the rubbing where eventually it started twisting a little and finally errored out (a short?). Anywho, the new RTD sensor did the trick and I was back in business in about 25 mins.

jspain

« Reply #144 on: September 08, 2011, 10:47:12 AM »
Hi Jim--

Yeah, I've roasted a lot on it. Funny thing, I've never had the issue with having to adjust the roast level...I'm fanatical about keeping the sensor cleaned with the Scotch-Brite...but what *did* happen was there was small movement due to all the rubbing where eventually it started twisting a little and finally errored out (a short?). Anywho, the new RTD sensor did the trick and I was back in business in about 25 mins.

I'm thinking you might be on to something and I thought the same thing! I clean mine fanatatically also! Mine is a little loose. I'm wondering if I just souldn't order one and go from there? Sono said I might be cleaning it too hard!  Thanks for your insight!  Jim

jspain

« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2011, 04:05:10 PM »

Those wires are covered in plastic where it connects at the valve. I need to figure out how too make the connection with the volt meter to the valve wire connection.

Usually you can sneak the sharp tip of the probe wires under the covering to touch metal and read the voltage.  Sometimes you have to poke the sharp tip through the insulation of a wire to make contact with the metal, leaving behind a small hole.

There are some voltage sensors—like this one that you can probably pick up at a home improvement or hardware store—that don't require physical contact, they'll indicate if a circuit is energized by proximity of holding the probe near the device which is nice, especially if your at all nervous about sticking probes and wires on live circuits.

I don't advocate the approach of touching it with your hands or licking it with your tongue to see if it's energized, but I have to admit that I once tested a pair of wires on a roof with a moist thumb to see if it was energized because I was too lazy to go down to the van to get a voltmeter.  It was a low voltage (24 V AC, if I recall) application.

Good luck.

WOW! Thanks for the advice and tip. Let me share where I'm at for the moment.... I just got off the phone with Sono. I came home today and attached the volt meter to the coil housing that sparks the valve to open. I got 120 when the "RAM" called for power. So the next step is that Sono is sending me a coil and valve. I have the coil housing off and ready to replace the coil. I pray that's all it is?? If that doesn't fix it, then I replace the valve.... parts next day UPS is $71, 3 day shipment is $23. I hope and pray I'm up and running by Wednesday?? If the coil fixes it Sono will take the valve back at no charge.

BTW, Sono said the "P2" reading would not be a sensor issue. It appears that a sensor issue is a "P1" error reading. Need to remember, I'm about as handy doing this stuff as B/J! I'm willing to try (just as B/j), but I'd hate to mess something up! I may be calling on Ringo by the middle of next week!   :-\ 

jspain

« Reply #146 on: September 14, 2011, 01:53:57 PM »
YEAH!!!!!!  SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The parts made it here yesterday. I was home late last night from the church and didn't take the time to insert the new coil. I just went out, put in the new coil leading to the valve, turned on the electric and gas and BINGO!!!!! She popped right off!

I am sooooo happy. I'm roasting now and getting caught up! Ringo says, "Jim, get a surge protector!" I WILL!  Jim

jimbo

« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2011, 01:06:03 PM »
Okay, Sonofresco users, I have a couple of questions.  And yes, they may have been answered somewhere in the previous 10 pages, but being the lazy person that I am, I thought I would start by asking.  (Flame on!)

Anyway ...

I am about to pull the trigger on a Sono purchase.  I've bid on a couple over on Ebay, but have bailed after it got too high.  Still watching.  My time will come.

1. Approximately how many batches can you roast on a container of propane?  I realize that it will vary depending on size of batch and how dark the roast, but generally speaking.
2. How much actual control on the different phases of the roast does Sono give you.  I currently roast with an older digital (non-programmable) Hottop and a Behmor, so not a huge amount of control here.
3. Are you pretty happy with the substantial investment made for the Sono, i.e. would you do it again, or opt for something different.

Thanks for any responses.

Jimbo

jspain

« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »
Okay, Sonofresco users, I have a couple of questions.  And yes, they may have been answered somewhere in the previous 10 pages, but being the lazy person that I am, I thought I would start by asking.  (Flame on!)

Anyway ...

I am about to pull the trigger on a Sono purchase.  I've bid on a couple over on Ebay, but have bailed after it got too high.  Still watching.  My time will come.

1. Approximately how many batches can you roast on a container of propane?  I realize that it will vary depending on size of batch and how dark the roast, but generally speaking.
2. How much actual control on the different phases of the roast does Sono give you.  I currently roast with an older digital (non-programmable) Hottop and a Behmor, so not a huge amount of control here.
3. Are you pretty happy with the substantial investment made for the Sono, i.e. would you do it again, or opt for something different.

Thanks for any responses.

Jimbo

Jimbo,

I have the 2# unit. A 20# tank lasts me for about 5 months. I probably average 6 batchs a week. That adds up to 120 roasts! Best guess I can give you. $14 worth of propane....

No control over the phases of the roast. That is the biggest pitfall for the Sonofresco. However if you are like me, I set the roast level and let her rip. It is a no fuss roaster. If your anal about every detail of the roast, don't buy a Sono.

I believe the Sonofresco is a great value. I'd do it again.  Jim  ps, If I had another $3000 I'd add that too the $3500 and grab an Ambex.....

Tex

« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2011, 01:33:41 PM »
I'm planning on buying another Sono one of these days. I liked the one I had - even though there's zero control of the roast profiles. It's more roaster than I need for my personal use (1 pound lasts me ~1 week), but it's the perfect lazy man's roaster. Weigh the beans, punch in the roast level, dump the beans in, and more or less forget about it.

No preheating.
No timing the various stage of a profile.
No pooched roasts.
No bad roasts.

IIRC, I got 30+ batches per tank of propane. Cleaning it's a breeze too - there's nothing that requires tools to disassemble. Dump the pieces on a big bucket, toss in some TSP & hot water to cover & let soak. Wipe off any smutz that didn't soak off, rinse, dry & reassemble.