Author Topic: What is the optimal air flow rate in fluid bed roasters?  (Read 15533 times)

milowebailey

Re: What is the optimal air flow rate in fluid bed roasters?
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 06:15:28 AM »

I dunno, I guess I just have memories of working in someone's garage years back when maybe these things left an odor in the air. 

I wouldn't bet what you smelled was a heater.... :fart: :icon_tongue:

I'll bet the heater you remember is a Kerosine heater... those smell like a bus.

milowebailey

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 06:18:34 AM »
Milo,

I believe that metal blade thing under the roasting chamber on the sono would be called a rotor-stator blade. They are used in the aeronautical engineering of planes as well as the mechanical engineering of turbo chargers. Their function is to intensify airflow, it creates a pull on upstream air, and it also makes the downstream air movement more erratic so it does not blow in a straight stream.

It is funny you mentioned that, because I was talking to a buddy, who is an aeronautical engineer, earlier today about ways to intensify airflow and make a vortex. . . . his short answer was a strator blade.

Cheers,
Mike
I roasted on a Sono for 4 years and I still think it's a great mechanical design.  If they would spend a little coin on the controller for it and make it a true profile roaster they would have something... especially for the price.

Some day soon the Milowidget will make another appearance....

Tex

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 10:52:14 AM »
The directional vanes in the Sonofresco are similar to what's in an air popper. They keep the beans swirling to prevent burning the beans on the bottom.

milowebailey

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 10:53:29 AM »
Tex

Have you even roasted on that Sono?  Looks new!

Tex

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2009, 10:57:47 AM »
Tex

Why would I use your roaster? It's still sitting here waiting for you to pick up!  :P

milowebailey

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2009, 11:11:48 AM »
Tex

Why would I use your roaster? It's still sitting here waiting for you to pick up!  :P
How 'bout you just ship it to me?

Tex

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2009, 11:22:53 AM »
Tex

Have you even roasted on that Sono?  Looks new!

Why would I use your roaster? It's still sitting here waiting for you to pick up!  :P

Nah, you'll have to drive down & pick it up.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 11:24:26 AM by Tex »

milowebailey

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009, 11:25:40 AM »
Tex

Why would I use your roaster? It's still sitting here waiting for you to pick up!  :P

I have lots of frequent flier miles ;D  I think I could check it as luggage for $15......

Tex

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2009, 11:30:56 AM »
Tex

I have lots of frequent flier miles ;D  I think I could check it as luggage for $15......

That's possible, but do you think the Ambex will check through to Houston? Quid pro quo! ;D

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2009, 12:17:15 PM »
Hmm. . . That air deflector does not look like what he was describing when speaking of the rotor-stator blade. Sounds like they kind of do similar things though.

Thank you for the picture!
-Mike

Tex

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2009, 12:27:19 PM »
Here's a video of the Sonofresco in action.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6j1oKiCLb4[/youtube]

garybt3

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2009, 01:04:25 PM »

You know I've been watching this thread and it occurs to me that the Sonofresco is just a bigger version of a hot air popper.

My Uber-tweaked out Poppery 1 can roast 1/2 # of green. It has an adjustable heater and an adjustable fan that was boosted to 130volts.

I did not build it, but I swapped out a number of 1400 watt Popcorn Pumpers and a couple of stock P1's a couple of years ago.

I have a Programmable Hottop, but I find it easier to roast with the P1, go figure!

I have the schematics and information in my home computer, I'll look for it when I get home tonight. Maybe you electrical engineers can figure a way to hybridize the 2. Using propane for the heat source and using an adjustable fan motor seems the way to go for 2 to 5 # batches.

John, do you remember Eddie K from the GCC, a few years back he built a really great version!
Gary

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2009, 01:07:29 PM »

John, do you remember Eddie K from the GCC, a few years back he built a really great version!
Gary

Yeah, but I don't know what he had under the hood.

It looked like 4 or 5 white cylinders of some sort but I never saw any detail of what exactly he did on that thing.

And I agree...the Sono looks like a big fat Poppery II.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:11:15 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2009, 01:13:43 PM »
Thank you for the video!

What are the air ducts inside the sono made of? I know galvanized steel is coated with zinc and chemically treated to prevent rust. . . so I will probably want to avoid galvanized.

I agree on the likeness between sonos and poppers. . . Sivitz too! I don't think ti would be incredibly difficult or expensive to make something comparable. It might not look as cool, but I can just shape sheet metal and powder coat is I get caught up on it's looks. I should probably get cracking before I talk about powder coating :) .

Thanks,
Mike

garybt3

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2009, 03:20:15 PM »
I attached a pdf and a picture of the rough schematic, describing the Poppery 1  and Heavy Duty 1400watt Popcorn Pumper controller & booster.

All i know is that it has been working just great for the last 3 or 4 years...

Milo, wanna make these up???  ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:05:25 PM by garybt3 »