Author Topic: Livia 90S - Buy or pass?  (Read 1213 times)

JoshInCA

Livia 90S - Buy or pass?
« on: January 18, 2010, 04:06:17 PM »
So I've been looking for a first espresso machine and had decided to wait for a deal on a Gaggia and mod it. But I ran across an ad, local to me, for a Livia 90S, plus base and grinder, all for $350. (I don't know the make of the grinder.)

The only knock I've seen on the Livia is reliability ... though I also wonder whether it would be a good first machine. I'm looking for advice and would be grateful for the wisdom of those in the know here'bouts.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Livia 90S - Buy or pass?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 04:53:31 PM »
Our fearless site administrator Chris started with one of these.  He went to a La Spaziale Vivaldi II Single Group Dual Boiler.  After his stint with that he went back to that.  I know he likes it.  There must be something to it.

My 2 cents.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 05:20:05 PM »
My second (moving up from a Gaggia Classic) espresso machine is a Pasquini Livia 90 semi.  It cost me $ 1000 over ten years ago.  It is still running strong, and I have never felt the need to upgrade.  They are commonly used in the home expert and light commercial settings.  I have seen a number of them in restaurants.

New, they cost around $ 1600-2000 for the machine alone, depending on the model and current exchange rate.  $ 350 for one including the base and grinder would be an absolute steal.  Some of the full automatics had failure of the electronics, but this was easily repaired by replacing a circuit board from Pasquini in Los Angeles.  The semi does not have this problem.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:24:02 PM by MGLloyd »

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 05:28:27 PM »
The only issues I have ever heard of are reliability related as well. With that said, I must say $350 is quite a deal for a machine, grinder and base!

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 05:56:42 PM »
Josh,

There is a Quickmill Vetrano on Craigslist San Fran at the moment too! Asking price is $400. . . that is a sweet deal! They have a rotary pump versus a vibratory pump, can either be filled by pouring over or plumbed in, grouphead thermometer built in, and are a great great prosumer espresso machine. They retail for $1,800, so this price is a steal!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:08:47 PM by Warrior372 »

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »
Josh,

There is a Quickmill Vetrano on Craigslist San Fran at the moment too! Asking price is $400. . . that is a sweet deal! They have a rotary pump versus a vibratory pump, can either be filled by pouring over or plumbed in, and are a great great prosumer espresso machine. They retail for $1,800, so this price is a steal!

Yeah ... that is a sweet deal!

lp, 7-Ski

garybt3

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 06:28:19 AM »
So I've been looking for a first espresso machine and had decided to wait for a deal on a Gaggia and mod it. But I ran across an ad, local to me, for a Livia 90S, plus base and grinder, all for $350. (I don't know the make of the grinder.)

The only knock I've seen on the Livia is reliability ... though I also wonder whether it would be a good first machine. I'm looking for advice and would be grateful for the wisdom of those in the know here'bouts.

I have had my Livia 90S (Semi Auto) for 5 years now. I bought her used for $1K and she was only 9 months old, then. Recommend, hell yes! I feel no need to upgrade to another machine, at least for the time being. I'd snatch it up, clean it up and depending on the grinder, Invest in an excellent grinder. At worst, you could resell it & triple your $$$....

Great machine, easy to work on, parts are readily available & it looks great when she's all polished up...

JoshInCA

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 08:43:39 AM »
Well, the Livia went to someone else ... I managed to injure my shoulder and dropped out of the race, so to speak, since I was busy with a sling and similar fun.

I'll be hunting for a machine again once I can lift things heavier than a coffee-mug. Should only be a few weeks.

Thanks to all for the replies on these machines! The QuickMill seems to still be available ... to the ablebodied  :-\
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:36:35 AM by JoshInCA »

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 12:19:17 PM »
Well, the Livia went to someone else ... I managed to injure my shoulder and dropped out of the race, so to speak, since I was busy with a sling and similar fun.

I'll be hunting for a machine again once I can lift things heavier than a coffee-mug. Should only be a few weeks.

Thanks to all for the replies on these machines! The QuickMill seems to still be available ... to the ablebodied  :-\

Sorry to hear that Josh.  There is always plan B ... being the Gaggia.  That should be a little less heavy for you.

lp, 7-Ski