Author Topic: Faema ebay or fix ?  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
Faema ebay or fix ?
« on: June 30, 2010, 12:28:20 PM »
Went to a auction and picked up an espresso machine, its does not work.  It was a coffee equipment company that went bankrupt.  I got a Faema DUE-smart/A.  All the paperwork is with it, warrenty paper is dated 2004.  It was not working when taken out of service, all the outside pieces in a box, but it all seems to be there.  The front and side panels are plastic and cracked and look bad.  Lots of grim everywhere, The book says its a heat exchanger model with a 7 L boiler, it looks ok. Pump is in place, looks ok.  Two presure guages , I do not know why two, but one seems stuck.  Electrical looks ok, if I sell repaired the front panel will have to be replaced.  portafilter is missing.  Everything looks together but some valves, so my guess is that is why it was taken out of service.  So now the question Should I fix it up, buy new parts and sell that way or put it on ebay as a whole or part it out.  I have never worked on an espresso machine but not much I can  not fix, love to tinker.  If it will only be worth $500 when fixed not worth fixing.  I got it very cheap and the man kicked in a 3 pot coffee pot warmer with the deal becouse nobody bid on them. 
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Faema ebay or fix ?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »
How many groups?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 12:39:02 PM »
That particular Faema does not have a great resale value after rebuild / refurb. If you are fixing it for yourself because you want a machine then fix it, otherwise piece it out, clean the parts and sell them.

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:42:39 PM »
Its a one group.  So my guess the money is in the boiler and pump, will they work on other machines or are they just for the due?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:44:36 PM by Ringo »
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:49:16 PM »
Not sure. Your best bet would be to check espressoparts.com. The pump, pstat, heating element and portafilters would be worth something. I am not sure how many people want used parts. . . If you do not have an espresso machine, and the machine in not totally trashed, you might want to fix it for yourself.

milowebailey

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 06:44:36 AM »
Ringo

I say go for it.  You mention you like to tinker, what do you have to loose but a little greenback.  I can say I was hesitant the first commercial machine I dove into, but they are simple machines.  I've learned much about espresso and HX machines since taking the plunge.  Think of it as a course in espresso.... education.

Hook up the water, plug it in and see what happens.  From there go here to see what it will cost you to fix

http://www.espressoparts.com/Faemafay-ee-muh

order a portafilter or two here (you'll need a retainer spring for the basket as these do not come with springs or baskets)

http://www.marzoccoman.com/servlet/the-Portafilter/Categories

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 07:08:51 AM »
Milo says go for it, I am a little scared.  Not of the machinary, thats fun.   My "WAF" is used up.  "wife approved financing"   Just got my Junk Yard Drum finished spent a lot of "WAF".  A WAF dollar cost at least 3 dollars in my house with clothing and stuff, and before they go into the account you have to put a couple hours in the "Honey Do List". 

Sacred In Ohio
Ringo
Abraham Lincoln

milowebailey

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 07:15:53 AM »
Like I said... hook it up, plug it in and see what it needs... No WAF needed for that part.  Since this is an automatic machine I suspect it's either the heater or controller.  If it's the controller.... convert it to a manual machine.

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 07:25:30 AM »
I was working on it last night, I am missing somthing on the fill valve, there is a solonid magnet with the valve missing.  Lots going on in the fill valve, two solonid hand override.   Will have to call some parts people and see whats missing.  Not knowing the history and being this is ohio I need to make sure the heat exchanger did not get frozen amd cracked last winter.
Abraham Lincoln

milowebailey

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 07:50:18 AM »
This is the same kind of machine that I got for free a few years ago.  I replaced all the tubing, cleaned it up, but never got it to work for beans.  The electronics are not very rugged, and I haven't taken the time to put some switches in so that I can run it manually.  Seemed like everything I did to it caused two more problems.  It is still sitting in my carport, awaiting that day when I have the time to do something with it...   :P

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 07:54:10 AM »
This is the same kind of machine that I got for free a few years ago.  I replaced all the tubing, cleaned it up, but never got it to work for beans.  The electronics are not very rugged, and I haven't taken the time to put some switches in so that I can run it manually.  Seemed like everything I did to it caused two more problems.  It is still sitting in my carport, awaiting that day when I have the time to do something with it...   :P

Hmm ... that sounds like a money pit.

:o
lp, 7-Ski

jspain

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 10:21:45 AM »
I was working on it last night, I am missing somthing on the fill valve, there is a solonid magnet with the valve missing.  Lots going on in the fill valve, two solonid hand override.   Will have to call some parts people and see whats missing.  Not knowing the history and being this is ohio I need to make sure the heat exchanger did not get frozen amd cracked last winter.

Al,

I agree with Milo! Now that I have seen what you can do, by seeing your home grown roaster at work, I know you can do it! You're right Milo, Al LOVES TO TINKER! besides that, he's good at it! I'll come up and be the first to pull a shot in the refurbished gem.

Al's roaster is AMAZING!!!!!  Jim

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 10:45:36 AM »
Is this the machine you have?

http://www.omnipakimport.com/faema_smart_a.htm

You mentioned it's a Faema Smart Due-A...my limited Italian suggests it's a two group (owned a desmo due years ago-two valve desmo)

Jake
Reddick Fla.
What is a DPO?
Dipshit Previous Owner; i.e., the idiot responsible for all of the damaged threads, missing parts and hacked electrical connections on the used espresso machine you just bought. You don't notice these problems immediately, of course...

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »
They gives specs here and call it a one group however they have a picture of the two group.

http://www.laruso.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_176_150&products_id=491

???
lp, 7-Ski