Author Topic: A bit of lever action  (Read 46169 times)

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
A bit of lever action
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:28:38 PM »
I helped my neighbor carry the Brewtus over to his kitchen this morning and spent 2hrs teaching him how to pull shots, steam milk, do maintenance and cleaning and such. After a bunch of demos I stepped back and let him do an A-Z effort (with a bit of coaching over his shoulder) he pulled a 17gm, 1.25oz, 26sec shot of a 6 day old Brazil/Costa Rican blend which I roasted for the Brewtus, we both sipped it and I can say it was... fantastic. He is well and truly ruined now that his first shot was so good. ;-)

On to the lever scene...

While banging around the Internet I've been looking for video of someone (anyone) pulling shots on a lever machine. There are very few lever action shots out there and it's almost a complete void when it comes to vids of PVL lever action (not shot glass action) and I'd be pretty happy if someone has a vid reference out there that they could post up. Eventually I'll get to the big crema shot glass close-ups, for now I wanted to grab some footage of what I'm doing (right or wrong) at the lever end.

Here's the video for historical reference, I'm sure to change my technique over the weeks to come. Remember that it's only been three days of working with this machine and I've come a long way since I first thought "Lever, yeah lever, I think I'll get a lever someday". Having said that, as far as I've come in a short period of time I realize I've only taken a couple of baby steps down the lever path.

Ponte Vecchio Lusso 2 group lever action

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: A bit of lever action
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 03:53:58 PM »
Here is a contribution for you Shaun if you have not seen it already:

Enjoy!

Ok ... lever video postings not needed.

:-X
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 05:33:52 PM by mp »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 04:01:50 PM »
That basket looks super deep.

Must be an illusion based on the shot volume and in comparison to the wider 58mm.

But it looks really deep in the vid.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 04:34:37 PM »
Thanks MP, I've seen those PVL vids previously, I'm only interested in the lever action side of the house right now and the bottom one you posted is the only one I've ever seen that shows lever work. The only one, how crazy is that.

I'd seen the top Pavoni vid previously, I don't know much about that particular machine other than it seems he pays a lot of attention to detail but that shot pulls waaaaaay too fast, almost instantly as compared to everything else I've seen... but what do I know.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 04:37:16 PM »
That basket looks super deep.

Must be an illusion based on the shot volume and in comparison to the wider 58mm.

But it looks really deep in the vid.

Super deep is one of its strengths I think. It allows a pretty wide window of forgiveness.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 04:40:37 PM »
Thanks MP, I've seen those PVL vids previously, I'm only interested in the lever action side of the house right now and the bottom one you posted is the only one I've ever seen that shows lever work. The only one, how crazy is that.

I'd seen the top Pavoni vid previously, I don't know much about that particular machine other than it seems he pays a lot of attention to detail but that shot pulls waaaaaay too fast, almost instantly as compared to everything else I've seen... but what do I know.

Shaun ... I got rid of the PVL vidoes for you and the first Pavoni one.  If you find the others of no use ... I'll dust them off also.

;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 04:57:27 PM by mp »
lp, 7-Ski

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 04:46:45 PM »

Shaun ... I got rid of the PVL vidoes for you and the first Pavoni one.  If you find the others of no use ... I dust them off also.

;)

They may have been of use to someone else... thinking of buying a lever... like John... or whoever. ;-)

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 04:57:59 PM »

Shaun ... I got rid of the PVL vidoes for you and the first Pavoni one.  If you find the others of no use ... I dust them off also.

;)

They may have been of use to someone else... thinking of buying a lever... like John... or whoever. ;-)

So I should lose them?

???
lp, 7-Ski

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 05:20:10 PM »

;)

So I should lose them?

???

Choose one of the following:

A) Yes.
B) No.
C) You decide.
D) One of the above.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 06:27:54 PM »
Choose one of the following:

A) Yes.
B) No.
C) You decide.
D) One of the above.

Hahahaha!

A Staylorism.   ;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 06:40:25 PM »
Here's the milk steaming angle, it makes great milk but it's a bit different than the BII and I'm still learning to drive it in the cup.

Ponte Vecchio Lusso steaming power

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 06:47:50 PM »
This vid should have preceeded the vid above, here it is anyway.

Another shot on the Ponte Vecchio Lusso

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 07:00:35 PM »
Are you feeling ok for now with that portafilter dressed up like a Pentecostal woman or is it getting to you?

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 07:03:15 PM »
Here's the milk pour. You'll notice all 3oz's go in the cup and you'll also notice my sloppy driving skills on this pour.

Ponte Vecchio Lusso milk pour

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 07:05:10 PM »
Are you feeling ok for now with that portafilter dressed up like a Pentecostal woman or is it getting to you?

It's like a sharp stick in the eye, I would have hit it with the Dremel already... if the Dremel could do it. Wonder if I could just kick it off.

I've gotta find a friend with something sharp and spinning.