Author Topic: A bit of lever action  (Read 46161 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: A bit of lever action
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010, 06:21:26 PM »
You could be there in just over 18 hours John.

No speed limits in Montana.

Maybe I should move to Montana...

Frank Zappa - Montana
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2010, 06:23:25 PM »

Nope.... Bo is up around Kalispell I think and after a few cups of coffee I need to have a few glasses of Russian River Red with him. It adds a day to the trip.  8)

All right then ... I sit corrected 24 + 18 = 42 hours (due to Bo pitstop).

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2010, 07:45:11 PM »

Nope.... Bo is up around Kalispell I think and after a few cups of coffee I need to have a few glasses of Russian River Red with him. It adds a day to the trip.  8)

Make sure you pick up a glass for me on the way through.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2010, 09:55:21 PM »
I am sorry I missed this thread over the past few days. Congrats on the lever purchase! Are you having fun yet? They just bring so many more variables into the equation, eh?!

How are things going so far? Any specific questions?

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 10:07:37 PM »
I am sorry I missed this thread over the past few days. Congrats on the lever purchase! Are you having fun yet? They just bring so many more variables into the equation, eh?!

It's been fantastic, I'm really digging the variables now introduced via 'custom pressurization' based on what I see in the stream flow and flow rate. Full pulls, half pulls, pulls at the top and at the bottom, long pre and short pre-infusion, it's so much fun now that I understand the principles.

I have to say the PVL is a forgiving machine and would probably work for an espresso rookie but I don't think I would recommend it to a beginner until they spent some time working on a machine like a BII or whatever, so they could get a grip on all the other variables before diving deeper into the hole with the new variables. Make sense?

Dude, questions... my head is full of them but I'm having fun sorting it out in my own bump into walls kinda way. Thanks for checking up on me.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 10:06:30 AM »

It's been fantastic, I'm really digging the variables now introduced via 'custom pressurization' based on what I see in the stream flow and flow rate. Full pulls, half pulls, pulls at the top and at the bottom, long pre and short pre-infusion, it's so much fun now that I understand the principles.

I have to say the PVL is a forgiving machine and would probably work for an espresso rookie but I don't think I would recommend it to a beginner until they spent some time working on a machine like a BII or whatever, so they could get a grip on all the other variables before diving deeper into the hole with the new variables. Make sense?

Dude, questions... my head is full of them but I'm having fun sorting it out in my own bump into walls kinda way. Thanks for checking up on me.

What size portafilter does the PVL use, and how many grams will top it off?

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 11:53:54 AM »

What size portafilter does the PVL use, and how many grams will top it off?

I measure the internal diameter of the baskets as 45mm. For grams, it really depends on how tight or coarse you grind the coffee and how well you distribute, and if you tap the grinds down halfway through your dosing from the grinder. Generally speaking I think it's safe to say the basket will hold 11-15gms per dose. Typically I'm operating in the 12-13gm area.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2010, 02:39:59 PM »

Alas, an oft-repeated fallacy...

On a couple of small portions of I-90 and I-94 this was/is true, but for the rest of the state there are, indeed, speed limits.  Last summer I got clocked doing 87 in a 65 zone just North of Great Falls by an oncoming trooper.  I paid the $20 fine on the spot.  If I had been written up for going 3 miles an hour faster (which, in fact, I was well in excess of), it would have been a 'point' and been reported to my insurance company.  I did manage to make it from Minot ND to Missoula MT (750 miles or so) in about 10-1/2 hours, which is a pretty good indication of how fast a fella can successfully go in that state.

I listened to Overnight Sensation a couple of times on that trip...   8)

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 03:14:27 PM »

Alas, an oft-repeated fallacy...

On a couple of small portions of I-90 and I-94 this was/is true, but for the rest of the state there are, indeed, speed limits.  Last summer I got clocked doing 87 in a 65 zone just North of Great Falls by an oncoming trooper.  I paid the $20 fine on the spot.  If I had been written up for going 3 miles an hour faster (which, in fact, I was well in excess of), it would have been a 'point' and been reported to my insurance company.  I did manage to make it from Minot ND to Missoula MT (750 miles or so) in about 10-1/2 hours, which is a pretty good indication of how fast a fella can successfully go in that state.

I listened to Overnight Sensation a couple of times on that trip...   8)

I pretty much knew that, from reading Car&Driver.  But it fit well with where the thread was heading to fudge a tad.

The reason I asked about the PF was rooted in some of the discussions I read regarding the Vivaldi's 53mm vs. 58mm.  I guess the Lever has shifted enough parameters that it would be hard to decide if any changes were strictly the PF.

thejavaman

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 04:57:18 PM »
I'm really digging this thread.  So many variables that can have an effect on the cup!  That machine looks like the tinkering man's dream....   :P

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 08:48:58 PM »
I'm really digging this thread.  So many variables that can have an effect on the cup!  That machine looks like the tinkering man's dream....   :P

Levers are soooo that! They are so simple internally too. Staylor, have you looked under the hood of your Lusso yet? It makes me think I could actually make one if I had enough time.

How are you liking the 2-group setup?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:52:06 PM by Warrior372 »

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 09:06:33 PM »
I'm really digging this thread.  So many variables that can have an effect on the cup!  That machine looks like the tinkering man's dream....   :P

Levers are soooo that! They are so simple internally too. Staylor, have you looked under the hood of your Lusso yet? It makes me think I could actually make one if I had enough time.

How are you liking the 2-group setup?

One of the first things I did was go digging around inside, I adjusted the pressure down to 1 bar. I bet you could put something together if you are handy, which I'm not.

As for the 2 group, for the extra bit of cash I think it's the way to go.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2010, 06:45:10 AM »
Ponte Vecchio Lusso 15gms

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2010, 06:46:55 AM »
Ponte Vecchio Lusso updose

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2010, 06:52:07 AM »
Ponte Vecchio Lusso microfoam