Author Topic: Meet Gort!  (Read 31452 times)

Tex

Re: Meet Gort!
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2012, 10:30:43 PM »
Interesting thread about Costco: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=235156

And if you'd like a nice & cheap product that Costco specializes in, try this: http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?ec=BC-EC36351-Cat49547&pos=0&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=90001&eCat=BC|108|49547|90001&lang=en-US

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2012, 03:20:33 PM »
It's funny that you say that about Bose.  Sony used to be that way too, everyone would go  OOOHH  sony, and pay huge prices for the name, but when you looked at the specs on their stereo equipment .vs. many of the other name brands, jvc, hitachi, etc,  many times the specs were a lot lower, but the price was way higher, just for the name 'sony'.   Nakamichi was the same way, big bucks for pretty crappy stuff really.

I know bose was one of the names that people went goo goo over, they tried to act like bose was 'the' standard.  I never did like their stuff, their speakers were very poor performers actually, they gobbled a lot of power for their relative output.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #152 on: June 01, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »

I know bose was one of the names that people went goo goo over, they tried to act like bose was 'the' standard.  I never did like their stuff, their speakers were very poor performers actually, they gobbled a lot of power for their relative output.

Aaron

Bose stuff sounds great to people who don't know what great sounds like.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #153 on: June 01, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »

Aaron

Bose stuff sounds great to people who don't know what great sounds like.

You could draw a similar analogy to Starbucks & a good specialty coffee, couldn't you?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #154 on: June 01, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »
Good point Tex.  Just because they say it's good doesn't make it so.
The problem is people don't know what they don't know so having no other basis to judge it on, or just being too lazy to actually do a little research themselves, just push the "I believe" button and buy it right up.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »
I'm gonna highjack this highjack and ask for some opinions on buying a used tuner/receiver for the family room. Our old one is starting to cut out all the time. So if y'all were slumming on craigslist for a good but maybe older tuner what would you be looking for? I'd need to run a CD player and a computer audio out signal to it. Good AM reception would be nice, too.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

RobertL

« Reply #156 on: June 01, 2012, 11:08:55 PM »
behmor: Brazen .. August 23rd to coincide with my 58th..

Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/behmor/status/208601114529107969

I wonder how many will be available on the first release. I imagine they will sell out quickly, maybe Joe will let us pre-order ours.  :)

milowebailey

« Reply #157 on: June 01, 2012, 11:13:23 PM »
I'm gonna highjack this highjack and ask for some opinions on buying a used tuner/receiver for the family room. Our old one is starting to cut out all the time. So if y'all were slumming on craigslist for a good but maybe older tuner what would you be looking for? I'd need to run a CD player and a computer audio out signal to it. Good AM reception would be nice, too.

I'm a vintage component fan.  Vintage Crown amp DC150 with a IC150 and efficient speakers is all you need..... true analog audio....

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ele/3017640491.html

I have a Crown DC150 driving my vintage JBL 18" sub at home.... more base than a 1000 watt set up you can buy new today.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #158 on: June 02, 2012, 04:23:44 PM »

I'm a vintage component fan.  Vintage Crown amp DC150 with a IC150 and efficient speakers is all you need..... true analog audio....

I have a Crown DC150 driving my vintage JBL 18" sub at home.... more base than a 1000 watt set up you can buy new today.

I think that might be a little more collectable that I was hoping to pay for.

Tex

« Reply #159 on: June 02, 2012, 04:57:51 PM »

Yeah right, just like grandpa drove his rusted out '54 Ford because he liked vintage stuff too? Grandma always called it being a skinflint!

ecc

« Reply #160 on: June 02, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »
Old Crown is nice.

I have and recommend Sony STR-DA333ES, really anything in the 90's Sony DAxES line.  At this point these things are super cheap, and frankly better than anything you could buy manufactured now without a serious budget.  Plenty of analog and digital inputs, surround modes, etc. and will be good for a few more decades at least. 

If you need speakers, stay away from the tuned port junk.  NHT makes super nice speakers at a good price.  I have the superOnes, and some superZeros, along with some banger subs (one is a pair of dual 12"ers on a bridged kilowatt Carver) that I picked up from a pre-internet analog recording studio. 

Ebay has tons of these available, the good gear stays around. 

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #161 on: June 02, 2012, 07:05:47 PM »
Thanks ecc! That sounds like the kind of thing I'm interested in.

milowebailey

« Reply #162 on: June 02, 2012, 09:04:41 PM »
I might have a Sony laying around up at the cabin.  I can check next weekend if I still have it if you want.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2012, 04:54:18 AM »
carver, now THAT is an amp from hell!    I have a few of them around.  Good strong power and really hard to mess up.   Where the others would start to clip / distort and shut down ..hopefully... the carver magnetic field amp keeps on pumping.

Aaron

wsikes

« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2012, 05:26:12 AM »
I have a few of the old 70's era Sansui's laying around someplace.  Huge amplifiers inside them... talk about something that will blow your neighbor's windows out.  I could probably be talked into selling them if anybody is interested.  Two of them are the 9090 model and the other is even larger.  They will blow out your speakers if they are not made to handle serious audio.