Author Topic: Pharos vs Rancilio MD-50  (Read 11260 times)

SJM

Re: Pharos vs Rancilio MD-50
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 04:12:42 PM »
I don't know what I would do today if I had no grinder and had to decide what to buy;  it would probably be a toss-up between a Cunill Tranquilo and the Pharos. 

Since I have the Rancilio MD-50, and I just deep cleaned her, I'm gonna keep her.  She couldn't have cost me $300,  I did some nice mods on her, and gave her new burrs, and I think she will last me....

But....I was definitely tempted....

Tex

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »
I don't know what I would do today if I had no grinder and had to decide what to buy;  it would probably be a toss-up between a Cunill Tranquilo and the Pharos. 

Since I have the Rancilio MD-50, and I just deep cleaned her, I'm gonna keep her.  She couldn't have cost me $300,  I did some nice mods on her, and gave her new burrs, and I think she will last me....

But....I was definitely tempted....

IIRC, we paid less than $200 for our MD50 grinders, back in 2008? They were discards from Starbucks stores when they went super automatic.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 04:54:11 PM »
What I hear you describing is the difference between a large conical burr and a flat burr.  That was my experience going from a Macap M4 to the Compak K10.

Thanks for your confirmation Peter. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:19:40 AM by expy98 »

SJM

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »
IIRC, we paid less than $200 for our MD50 grinders, back in 2008? They were discards from Starbucks stores when they went super automatic.

Well, your memory is usually better than mine, but I gottcha on the dates, because it was in 2007.  Just yesterday I had to go to CG and do a search to find all of the instructions you gave me back then on how to convert my AT to a manual.  That part is done and over, but I couldn't remember how you had told me to get that bottom burr holder out....

Susan

Tex

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 08:20:36 AM »

Well, your memory is usually better than mine, but I gottcha on the dates, because it was in 2007.  Just yesterday I had to go to CG and do a search to find all of the instructions you gave me back then on how to convert my AT to a manual.  That part is done and over, but I couldn't remember how you had told me to get that bottom burr holder out....

Susan

You're referring to sticking a screwdriver blade up the grounds chute so you can lock the burr carrier while you remove the nut?

SJM

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 08:46:40 AM »
Yeah, that one, although I also cushioned the screwdriver with a rag so that I didn't scratch anything....:-))))

Susan
The 5-thumbed wonder

Tex

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 10:14:14 AM »
Yeah, that one, although I also cushioned the screwdriver with a rag so that I didn't scratch anything....:-))))

Susan
The 5-thumbed wonder

Screw the rag, just shove it up there and hold tight. There's nothing you can damage with a screwdriver. BTW: The nut should be tightened just past finger tight - centrifugal force keeps it in place.

Don't lose anything!

SJM

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 11:13:43 AM »
Ah, the rag might not have done anything except make me feel better, but that's......priceless....

Finished this job yesterday and ground for a perfect shot this morning.

The MD-50 rocks !!!!

Susan

Tex

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 12:35:12 PM »
Ah, the rag might not have done anything except make me feel better, but that's......priceless....

Finished this job yesterday and ground for a perfect shot this morning.

The MD-50 rocks !!!!

Susan

No, No Susan - no rocks in your grinder! :o

SJM

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 08:40:13 AM »
One Pharos on order....

Seems like the only way to keep from spending the money on an HG-One....
Economics my way....:-)))))

Susan

jano

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 09:22:08 AM »
Hey SJM, cool you bought it.

I bought a pharos early on and hated it for many months, didn't use it, then finally did the voodoo daddy mods.  The bearings, nylon lock nut, and bolt covers I would call absolutely necessary, as they prevent the adjuster from slipping, tighten down the whole shebang to keep out burr rub, and help dial it in very easy.  The catch cup... undecided, kind of regret it.

Now I like the pharos for espresso because it's easier to dial in for espresso vs. the vario-w.  It will take some testing to find how you turn the crank.  I can't do it on the table, too much noise and banging.  Lap grinder style works for me.  I still need to wdt for the mypressi twist.  I don't like it for medium and coarse ground coffee, leaves a muddy taste in the cup, guessing due to all the fines.

SJM

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 09:44:21 AM »
Hey SJM, cool you bought it.

I bought a pharos early on and hated it for many months, didn't use it, then finally did the voodoo daddy mods.  The bearings, nylon lock nut, and bolt covers I would call absolutely necessary, as they prevent the adjuster from slipping, tighten down the whole shebang to keep out burr rub, and help dial it in very easy.  The catch cup... undecided, kind of regret it.

Now I like the pharos for espresso because it's easier to dial in for espresso vs. the vario-w.  It will take some testing to find how you turn the crank.  I can't do it on the table, too much noise and banging.  Lap grinder style works for me.  I still need to wdt for the mypressi twist.  I don't like it for medium and coarse ground coffee, leaves a muddy taste in the cup, guessing due to all the fines.

I am hoping I can use it at the counter, since there is no convenient sitting place near the SAMA, but that doesn't mean everything can't get moved if necessary.  I am quite famous (infamous) for moving the furniture around on a whim, although it has gotten a lot harder as my body has disagreed with my mind over my actual age....

As to the Pharos, it will be for espresso only, and I am looking forward to seeing what a difference the larger burrs make. It seems as if the really necessary improvements and adjustments have now been incorporated by OE, and that I will be able to find a way to use it without further mods.  (which apparently wasn't the case with earlier iterations...)

Needless to say, I will keep you posted....:-))))

Susan

GC7

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 12:52:38 PM »
Are there any good deals out there on a K10 or Wega clone?

I've been getting an upgrade fever from my Compak K3 though it works great and retains almost no coffee after I clean the chute up to the burrs single dosing each shot. I recall Wega deals on here a while ago though I am probably going to have to use Chris Coffee.

jano

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 02:00:41 PM »
I am hoping I can use it at the counter, since there is no convenient sitting place near the SAMA, but that doesn't mean everything can't get moved if necessary. 

I can do it with dark roasts, but not light ones, the banging and noise bothers me.  I have one of these in the kitchen which has become my grinding stool :)  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60178887/

Hopefully it works out for you!  Some people grind under the arm, etc, all sorts of ways.  Behind the back would probably be hard unless you are double jointed.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 02:12:38 PM »
I'd tried to get in on the Wega clone deal back then as well but was too late and the price went up.
If you find anything please share.