Author Topic: Pharos vs Rancilio MD-50  (Read 11273 times)

SJM

Re: Pharos vs Rancilio MD-50
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 02:33:44 PM »

I can do it with dark roasts, but not light ones, the banging and noise bothers me.  I have one of these in the kitchen which has become my grinding stool :)  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60178887/

That's a nice stool.  I saw it at IKEA a few weeks ago and passed it up because I didn't need it.  Maybe now I do.  I have stools that are higher, but not ones that would allow one foot up and one down on the floor, which I'm guessing would make the grinding easier.

We will just have to see.
The Pharos may come.....and go....like so many other things....but I am looking forward to trying to get out of it what it's fans seem to get out of it. 

Susan

jano

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
That's a nice stool.  I saw it at IKEA a few weeks ago and passed it up because I didn't need it.  Maybe now I do.  I have stools that are higher, but not ones that would allow one foot up and one down on the floor, which I'm guessing would make the grinding easier.

They used to carry a small version of their bar stool - I have one of those as well, got it on closeout for $10.  I couldn't find it on their site.  The stools are eternally useful, for stepping up, sitting on, or even make-shift shelves (I put plants on them).  :)  Play it by ear, and you'll find your grinding position.

SJM

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 02:59:02 PM »
They used to carry a small version of their bar stool - I have one of those as well, got it on closeout for $10.  I couldn't find it on their site.  The stools are eternally useful, for stepping up, sitting on, or even make-shift shelves (I put plants on them).  :)  Play it by ear, and you'll find your grinding position.

LOL   
Too small and I will fall right over it....
just like I do with the 5 dogs....

Susan

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »
Congrats on the new Pharos! I would stay away from lightly roasted beans in the beginning to avoid slipping. You can run it with a power drill for break in; it takes a 1/2" coupling nut with a short 1/2 cap head bolt to make the adaptor. Not much fun hand grinding several pounds of beaned with the Pharos.

Pharos Mods?  In the beginning using it stock would be a good idea; more difficult without the mods but better for resale. One way to tell where your at with adjustment is counting the turns for your dose. The stainless adjustment nut/roller bearing is my favorite mod, the others are really nice as well. I think a couple of months is sufficient to decide if it's a keeper.

SJM

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 04:07:03 PM »
Congrats on the new Pharos! I would stay away from lightly roasted beans in the beginning to avoid slipping. You can run it with a power drill for break in; it takes a 1/2" coupling nut with a short 1/2 cap head bolt to make the adaptor. Not much fun hand grinding several pounds of beaned with the Pharos.

Pharos Mods?  In the beginning using it stock would be a good idea; more difficult without the mods but better for resale. One way to tell where your at with adjustment is counting the turns for your dose. The stainless adjustment nut/roller bearing is my favorite mod, the others are really nice as well. I think a couple of months is sufficient to decide if it's a keeper.

Thanks for the input.  I spent hours and hours and..... reading every post over at HB and can't quite tell where the line is between mods which are necessary because people have earlier versions and where they are nice even if you have a very new model.

I have finally decided to simply try it.
I think I will like it.

Do you happen to have pics of those bits needed to adapt the hand drill?  I'm not quite sure I understand what you were trying to tell me.

Susan

Offline az erik

• Standard User
  • Never enough time
Pharos vs Rancilio MD-50
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 06:10:44 PM »
Has anyone had the occasion to compare these two grinders?   I have the MD-50 and have been tempted by the Pharos, but haven't seen any comparisons between the two.

Don't know about those two, but have seen lots of comparison between the grind of a Pharos and Compak K10.  Just buy a K10 and you'll be good to go.
I agree with this, I miss mine but I love my rotary pump over my expos viiiiibbbbbbeeeeeeee pump.
Home:
Huky500 & 15kBTU + Artisan
Vivaldi S1 V2
Compak K6 Pro / Doserless conversion
Office:
Areopress and Skerton keep me running

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »
I do have photos of the coupling nut, will try to post tomorrow. HD or Lowes have the 1/2" coupling nut, it's something you would use to connect two pieces of threaded rod. The cap head bolt is in the parts bin, round head with a large hex socket. The cap head bolt may need to be cut down with a hack saw if its too long; and you need a hex bit for the drill driver.

SJM

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 06:22:33 PM »
I agree with this, I miss mine but I love my rotary pump over my expos viiiiibbbbbbeeeeeeee pump.

I must be missing something, but, what do pumps have to do with grinders?

SJM

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 06:24:40 PM »
I do have photos of the coupling nut, will try to post tomorrow. HD or Lowes have the 1/2" coupling nut, it's something you would use to connect two pieces of threaded rod. The cap head bolt is in the parts bin, round head with a large hex socket. The cap head bolt may need to be cut down with a hack saw if its too long; and you need a hex bit for the drill driver.

Okay, I'm sure it will all make more sense when I have the Pharos here too....

Thank you

Susan

GC7

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 08:34:45 PM »
I'd tried to get in on the Wega clone deal back then as well but was too late and the price went up.
If you find anything please share.

Will do -

sorry to divert the thread Susan

SJM

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2013, 08:10:54 AM »
sorry to divert the thread Susan

Heck, I hadn't even heard of a Wega before, so I couldn't have been more pleased....
another rabbit hole to examine....
:-))))

Offline az erik

• Standard User
  • Never enough time
Pharos vs Rancilio MD-50
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »

I must be missing something, but, what do pumps have to do with grinders?
Nothing actually. I had. K10, with an Expobar vibe machines sold the k10 to fund my S1 Vivaldi, then sold the expo, I did love that grinders performance but my machines weren't yielding mind blowing results so I stepped back to my k6 without a hiccup. I havnt read my ch into the Pharos because its hard enough to grind with my Skerton, I wouldn't want to deal with that at home as well.
Home:
Huky500 & 15kBTU + Artisan
Vivaldi S1 V2
Compak K6 Pro / Doserless conversion
Office:
Areopress and Skerton keep me running

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Pharos vs Rancilio MD-50
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »
I've been wanting a Lido and a Pharos for the collection. I got to play with both during road shows. I've been on the search for used ones at a reasonable price, with priority going to the Lido because it was my favorite of the 2 grinders. I would like to try the Pharos with the mods.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 10:06:47 AM »
Pharos drive adaptor; 1/2" coupling nut and 1/2" cap head bolt. HD and Lowes should have both.
I cut the bolt down to fit flush with the coupling nut.

SJM

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 10:24:01 AM »
Perfect !!!
Thank you.
I see that my credit card was charged for the Pharos yesterday, so I expect it will arrive soon.
I will make sure I've got these parts ready to rock n roll when it shows up.

Susan