Author Topic: Offer from Robust Roasters on Toper products  (Read 3502 times)

Pyment

Offer from Robust Roasters on Toper products
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:45:35 PM »
I asked them if there might be a incentives for the GCBC.

Here is the response:

For incentives - we would be willing to offer a group rate when selling
multiple units at one time.  

Or we would be willing to offer Free Standard Ground Shipping for any
Cafemino purchase from our in-stock models*
        * In - stock applies to units at the ROBUST ROASTERS location.
Offer expires December 31st, 2010.  Offer does not apply to: Hawaii, Puerto
Rico & Alaska.

Regards,

Tia Labiri

Since I already have a Cafemino, I am not going to participate in this. I am sure there are members that might be teetering on the cusp of getting a commercial style roaster and this might be their moment. If there are some members that would like to have a coordinated purchase as she mentions. Post your interest.

edit

Maybe I should keep a list:

RayT 2.5-5Kg
Hananonn 2.5-5Kg
peter TKMSX - 5 (x2)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 12:58:37 PM by Pyment »

ecc

Re: Offer from Robust Roasters on Toper products
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 03:05:19 PM »
Is there a gas cafemino?  They look nice.

Pyment

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 03:12:49 PM »
forgot links! Doh!

http://cafemino.com/cafemino.php?lng=1

http://robustroasters.com/

Don't think I can get Mrs Py to go for the TKMSX - 3 just yet.  ;)

Offline JimsJava

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 08:34:31 PM »
Can you give me a rough idea on the price? I am looking for a roaster in the 1 to 2 kilo range, plus I like that with this one (as compared to the Sonofresco), I can do small sample batches.

Also, do you have a discussion thread where you gave a review of your roaster?
I make serious coffee. So strong it wakes up the neighbors.

juniperjill

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 09:24:34 PM »
TKMSX-1-ELECTRIC               $5,300.00 USD*
·         Shipping Included on the Electric Cafeminos in stock!  Offer for a limited time till supplies last.

TKMSX-1-GAS/PROPANE      $5,800.00 USD

(not including the group discount)

hannanonn

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 11:42:34 PM »
Nu, Its time to say hi again after a long recovery.
Hi dave and rest. still alve in the bay area woods. will be looking to join the group buy for a 2-5 kilo.

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 05:08:14 AM »
Hi dave and rest. still alve in the bay area woods. will be looking to join the group buy for a 2-5 kilo.

The Zenith rises from the ashes.  It is hard to keep a good man down.

B|Java

Pyment

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 05:47:31 AM »

Here we see the result of my Hanan hunt (mentioned in another thread).  He returns like some exotic creature. Like a being called from the ether who has no shape, color or feature except that which is brought forth by the utterance of his name. A welcome to the itinerant. But the question asks itself - Angel? or man.

I have been on the verge of being an angel all my life, but it's never happened yet.
- Mark Twain's Autobiography

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 06:24:43 AM »

Hannanonn ... welcome back ... we thought that you ran off into the sunset with that great looking nurse you were telling us about before.

Look forward to you getting your feet back into the distributions with the club.

Hope you're feeling better.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 10:40:02 AM »
On the weekend we had a few friends drop by, they were talking about maybe heading to San Francisco. I told them to hit Blue Bottle and the Berkeley Farmers Market, Doreen started telling them about how many peaches we had to buy there because our boys were walking through the market picking up fruit and taking bites when she wasn't looking... I couldn't keep my eye on them because I was busy pulling shots with this guy. ;-)

Pyment

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 10:48:16 AM »
Can you give me a rough idea on the price? I am looking for a roaster in the 1 to 2 kilo range, plus I like that with this one (as compared to the Sonofresco), I can do small sample batches.

Also, do you have a discussion thread where you gave a review of your roaster?

A review? well imagine that! Someone wants my opinion! Quelle horreur!

I have had the roaster for 2+ years. I bought it from one of the members here. It was made in 2007. I have the electric 120v version. Prior to this I roasted on a Gene Cafe (I actually got one of the first 50 of those imported into the US) and before that an iRoast. Before buying this, I had experience with roasting with some Probat sample roasters (both electric and gas), a Diedrich IR3, a Joper 15Kg (see link) and had seen some other roasters in action.

http://web.mac.com/victor.mondry/Site/New_Joper_European_15_kg_Roaster.html#0

In looking for my roaster, I looked at the US Roasters sample roaster, the Diedrich HR1 (there were still a few of those available then) and a variety of used roasters. This one was a great deal and seemed to fit my needs.

When I first bought the roaster, I put in a separate circuit for it and have it set up in the garage. The element needed replacing and, in the process, I shorted it out.

Delaware City Coffee Company refused to help me because they didn't sell the machine. I had to obtain elements from Turkey. (You have to wonder why they wouldn't help someone who might want to upgrade and become a future customer. Perhaps that is why they used to be distributors for Coffee Tech and now have their "Geometrico" line).  Fortunately, the response I got from Robust Roasters has been considerably better. They have emailed a copy of the manual to me (which is considerably improved over the old one). definitely more friendly than the prior distributor.

The local machine shop (which services much of the local industrial machinery and farm equipment) was able to help me with this and I was up and running.

The Roaster weighs 82 kg. It is a rugged design with good fit and finish. There are 4 controls. Three pairs of on/off buttons control the drum, heat and stirring wand for the cooler. There is also a rotating switch for the 2 coils you can have the coils off or turn on 1 or both.

There is an attached chaff collector and the exhaust comes off there. I don't have it connected to anything but I am sure there wouldn't be any trouble finding appropriate ducting. If you are venting this through a structure, there would be other considerations. You would have to get advice from someone who knows more than I. There are guidelines in the manual.

You only have 1 temp probe and need to decide whether you want to measure air temp or bean temp. I have my probe in the bean mass. I adjusted the probe so it is as close to the drum without hitting the vanes. It might be nice to also measure air temp, but I haven't introduced a second temp probe. The temp on my roaster is in C.

When you are ready to roast, you have to preheat the drum. You adjust your drop temp so you get the "turn" about 1.5-2 min after you drop the beans. You don't want the temp so high that you scorch them. I usually want the temp below my final goal temp. I use a lower temp for smaller batches. This is one of the variables you get to work with.

The drum has a pretty high thermal mass which helps it heat evenly and consistently. I would look at the weight of any roaster you are looking at to give you an idea of how heavy the drum is. The heaviest 1 kg roaster I have seen is the Giesen W1 at 150 kg. The Diedrich is 61+ kg, the 1 lb US Roasters is 88 lbs. Ambex 1 lb roaster is 75lbs. Toper is at the heavier end of the scale for this size roaster.

Because this is an electric roaster, you aren't going to have an immediate effect on the roast by turning coils on and off. It is like Diedrich IR roasters in that changes you make take effect 1-2 mins from now.

I have roasted in the garage at below 0 deg F. here you begin to notice the cold air coming in cools things down. To counter this I have used a can that fits over the exhaust to slow down air flow. This helps heat things faster. You can use this technique if you have a roast that is falling behind. If I have slowed the roast I will use this to get caught up.

It is a solidly built roaster that does what is necessary to get some great roasts. Not all of your roasters in this range are going to have this heavy a drum or 3 motors or the overall build that is going to last a long time.

Now on to what I would like to see better:

1) I would like to have better control over air flow. I will say this didn't really bother me until I had roasted quite a bit and had the knowledge where I know what to do with it.

2) The sight glass fills with beans and chaff during any roast over 1/2 capacity. This is much less a problem with smaller beans and peaberries.  The beans that get stuck in there don't roast adequately. Other than being able to see the coils are working, there isn't much to see. It is a pain to fish out 5-12 under-roasted beans at the end of the roast. This interferes with being able to to back to back roasts and is tedious. If I was confident in my ability to put the thing back together, I would take it apart and do some kind of remedy. It is minor, but irritating.

3) Sampler is a bit small. I would like a larger one so I could remove enough to cup at different temps.

4) More heat! It is a bit underpowered. I think I have said this about every roaster I have had.

These are really all small issues. In fact, I plan on talking to my nephew the electrician to see about putting in a variable fan.

Ray T

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 11:42:34 AM »
Great write up. You should move a copy to Hardware & Equipment. I am and have been looking for a 2k machine.  I think gas but ya never know, if its a great deal then who knows what I will end up with.

hannanonn

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Wow, these spell of sympathy warmth my veins deep inside.  Thanks guys.  It was the toughest 2 years of my life…not that I became an angel, however I was dangerously close the lips of a black hole. I faced the injustices one could face wondering despite good intentions.  It’s over now  and I am looking forward to be active again and maybe do some distros here and then.
Cheers.
 :angel:

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 09:06:16 PM »
..because I was busy pulling shots with this guy. ;-)

That looks like one wild and crazy guy....  ;)

Glad to hear you fought your way out of the quicksand mighty H.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline JimsJava

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »
Pyment - Thank you for the "above and beyond" review! I would second the thought to put your review in a separate thread so it doesn't get lost.  I'm sure there will be others who will consider this roaster in the future.

I especially like the fact that the roaster does well in cold temperatures as I, too, plan to do my roasting in my garage. Fortunately my garage is part of the house so the temps rarely go below 30 degrees in my garage, even if it gets near 0 here (which is rare in Missouri).
I make serious coffee. So strong it wakes up the neighbors.