Author Topic: Aeropress travails  (Read 943 times)

Tex

Aeropress travails
« on: December 08, 2010, 10:14:21 AM »
Am I the only person who's had a cup break while pushing the AP's plunger? Don't use thin china.
Am I the only person who's tipped the cup over when pushing the AP's plunger? Use wide-based mugs, not tapered china cups.

I keep my AP with my storm gear; it, a vac pot, and a hand cranked grinder will get me through any extended power outages. But honestly, I wouldn't make this my go-to daily coffee brewer.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 10:17:07 AM by Tex »

milowebailey

Re: Aeropress travails
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 10:39:36 AM »
I broke a hotel cup in Korea with mine once...probably because the inside diameter of the cup was a few thousands smaller than the outside of the Aeropress, so there was undue radial pressure on the rim.... and it was very soft ceramic, kinda crumbled more than broke. otherwise never had an issue.

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 10:44:09 AM »
I hate to answer "No" to your first question, since
Murphy's Law will come into play tomorrow morning.

No breakage or tippage here in exactly 1 year of daily multiple use.
Big thick ceramic mugs, and a steady hand.

ecc

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 10:54:16 AM »
I never broke a cup, but really didn't use it enough to have much risk of it.  To each their own, I never appreciated the faded americano taste.  I am just not a big fan of paper/poly filters, and the medical plastic aesthetic doesn't do much for me either.

That said, a Coava filter might be a big improvement, and should certainly reduce the amount of hand pressure needed.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 11:03:47 AM »
Never broken a cup. I used the AP with paper coffee cups, styrofoam coffee cups, glass, Bodum double wall cups, ceramic, etc. and never had a problem. IMHO if you are pushing down hard enough to break a cup you need to adjust your grind. It shouldn't take all that much pressure to press the plunger. In the past I've used grinds that took so much force it probably would have broken some of the more delicate cups, but I've found that a slightly coarser grind works better and requires less force.

I have almost tipped a cup a couple of times, but I've never been past the point of no return.

I think I still rate the AP as probably the best all around brewer in my arsenal for several reasons:

First and foremost it produces a fantastic cup of coffee.
It's very forgiving with the grinder and grind being used.
Lightweight
Ultra-portable
Works with lower water temps.
Cleanup? Fugetaboutit.
Inexpensive
Versatile: makes lattes, americanos, & expresso (see video below for clarification)

Okay, I'll admit it's not the prettiest device in my arsenal, but still a pretty impressive resume if you ask me. Sometimes my AP sits used for long periods of time, but I always end up going back to it and it ends up impressing me all over again.

Aeropress: Looks awful. Works well.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:12:32 AM by headchange4u »

ecc

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 11:58:14 AM »
Great, I just realized I have the BPA laden one.  Mine takes a bit of force regardless of grind, maybe the new ones are better.  It is an improvement if it doesn't say espresso maker on the packaging.

The aeropress uses short contact time, cooler water, and a paper filter to get all this nuance out of the cup.  I can't believe he didn't stir that after adding water to his cup!  A lot of people I respect continue to like this gadget, I must be in complete subjective denial...   ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 12:06:08 PM by ecc »

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 11:15:25 AM »
I have never broken or tipped over cups, but have had several AP explosions when I thought of removing the plunger to add more water before having pressed enough water out.  Hotel room, office, and kitchen have had AP baths.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:04:29 AM by YasBean »
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 05:49:50 AM »
Had an insane AP explosion once at work.

I can press into a paper cup, though.

If that sounds impossible, consider the first time you saw someone do an ollie on a skateboard.    ;D

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 06:13:22 PM »
I love the AeroPress for making iced coffee, and enjoyed it all summer. I did tip over a cup or two when I started using it ...

I recently had a hankering for iced coffee, even though it is freezing outside. I was dismayed to discover that I misplaced the big black "gasket" that screws onto the bottom of the AeroPress.  :(
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)