Author Topic: A Modo Mio Lavazza Capsule Machine  (Read 1541 times)

bunnysandefur

A Modo Mio Lavazza Capsule Machine
« on: December 31, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »

Yet another contender in the espresso pod market, the Mio is currently unavailable in North America... or any of the Americas, for that matter. Which is why I am putting serious thought into purchasing one and bringing it back with me while I'm in the UK... or Italy. Yes, I am prepared to deal with the voltage difference, that's not a problem.

I brought up the issue of pod machines a while back because I was considering having something around in my parent's home that would be easy for EVERYONE to use, because they don't want to keep an espresso machine that they have no interest in trying to learn how to use. I've had negative experiences in the past with pod machines, especially the Keurig (though not espresso, obviously). If I hadn't intended on returning it, I would have thrown the Keurig out the window. And the Nespresso machines are pretty terrible, in my experiences with them. So why am I still considering a pod machine? Again, so that everyone can use it.... PLUS I am masochistic... PLUS I love Lavazza. Hate illy, love Lavazza.

I realize that the majority of the posters on this board live in North America, but I figure it wouldn't kill me to ask... has ANYONE used this thing? Any intelligence or opinion of it? Saeco actually makes the unit, and I'm aware they have a decent reputation. I have no idea who makes the Nespresso machines. While they sell these machines at most major chains in the UK, I have yet to find a store that has one set up for testing. I did noticed they were selling pretty damn well when I was in Spain for a bit, and they take their espresso pretty seriously. In the UK, they like espresso, but it's not a serious relationship and I've had some pretty awful coffee experiences there, where as the experiences in both Italy and Spain were more consistently positive.

I've checked on importing it from the US through a third party since the Lavazza store WILL NOT ship to North America.... I'd be looking at $400-500, which is not worth it. If I purchase it in Europe, it would cost me about $200 total to buy and ship it home.

I require sage advice, per favore.

PS - I'm looking at the 'premium' model which offers some control of the temperature.
PPS - I do own a Handpresso, and would say that's my only good experience with pods thus far. So it's not all negative.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: A Modo Mio Lavazza Capsule Machine
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 03:24:58 PM »
Pleasing a coffee freak and accommodating a mixed crowd is an impossible task.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 03:52:41 PM »
I'm wondering Bunny, if your folks like espresso or if this is just for when you visit.  If the Modo Mio doesn't really do a good espresso (which we can guess it doesn't), then why not help them enjoy a really great cup of coffee instead?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 04:11:55 PM »
I'm wondering Bunny, if your folks like espresso or if this is just for when you visit.  If the Modo Mio doesn't really do a good espresso (which we can guess it doesn't), then why not help them enjoy a really great cup of coffee instead?

+1

I bought Mrs T a Lavazza Espresso Point a few years ago, and she didn't like the coffee it made; or was it the Lavazza coffee options she didn't like? Lavazza uses a proprietary pod and the coffees aren't that good.

So why not get a really good pour-over or maybe an AP, and a refurbed Baratza grinder? With the coffee you'd supply they'd be much better off.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 06:31:57 AM »
For the money that pod thingy (and the associated transformer) costs I'd imagine that one could go T-vorm and niceish grinder.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 06:58:49 AM »

+1

Why invest in equipment that ties you into the freshest stale roasted coffee around.  After all we are members of the GCBC ... not only do we split bags of coffee and have fun, we roast green specialty beans and drink the resulting fresh roasted coffee beans.  We are the coffee drinking elitists.

My 2 cents.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 07:37:43 AM »

+1

Why invest in equipment that ties you into the freshest stale roasted coffee around.  After all we are members of the GCBC ... not only do we split bags of coffee and have fun, we roast green specialty beans and drink the resulting fresh roasted coffee beans.  We are the coffee drinking elitists.

My 2 cents.

:)

Damn spell checkers! That's OK Mike, I understood you to mean effetist. ;D

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 07:47:17 AM »
Entitleist.

:angel:
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

bunnysandefur

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »

They do indeed, my father liking the novelty of espresso and my mother the dessert quality of lattes and other steamed milk drinks. Plus they love anything with a tech quality that also embodies enough simplicity for them to use it without fuss. If my parents can master the load and button pressing involved with this sort of unit, they will feel as if their lives have been enhanced by a technology that allows to them to produce a product that otherwise seemed too complicated for them to make it themselves.

My next question was going to be whether or not these machines offer a load-you-own-pod option? I suppose Tex answered that question regarding the Lavazza Espresso Point, and I'm not seeing any information about it for the Mio. An an AP is definitely out of the question... too many pieces and steps involved, and it doesn't look good sitting on the counter. I've had my grinder kicked out of the kitchen many times because it doesn't 'blend' with the art deco decor.

I like 'coffee camorra', personally.

Tex

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 10:53:05 AM »

They do indeed, my father liking the novelty of espresso and my mother the dessert quality of lattes and other steamed milk drinks. Plus they love anything with a tech quality that also embodies enough simplicity for them to use it without fuss. If my parents can master the load and button pressing involved with this sort of unit, they will feel as if their lives have been enhanced by a technology that allows to them to produce a product that otherwise seemed too complicated for them to make it themselves.

My next question was going to be whether or not these machines offer a load-you-own-pod option? I suppose Tex answered that question regarding the Lavazza Espresso Point, and I'm not seeing any information about it for the Mio. An an AP is definitely out of the question... too many pieces and steps involved, and it doesn't look good sitting on the counter. I've had my grinder kicked out of the kitchen many times because it doesn't 'blend' with the art deco decor.

I like 'coffee camorra', personally.

The only machines that I can think of that even come close to being art deco(ish) are the La Pavoni lever models & the Elektra Nivola? I don't know about the Pavoni, but I had one of the Nivola's for Mrs T to use with ESE pods and it worked out pretty well. It wasn't as good as fresh roasted & ground, but the coffee was very drinkable. One of the nice features of the Nivola is its thermostatically controlled brew switch: You can't start the pump until it's at proper brewing temperature.

The way the Espresso Point capsules were fed into the brew group, I doubt if a load-your-own capsule would work. I know nothing about the Mio, the capsules may be different for it? Why not ask the pros? Here's where I used to buy capsules for the Espresso Point;

Richard J. Meade
RJM DISTRIBUTORS, LLC
http://www.rmeade.com
rjm@rmeade.com
703-356-7469 (O)
703-898-3618 (C)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 02:38:17 PM »

For $200 it looks like an easy call.

Grab one.

You won't love it (from an espresso standpoint) but there wasn't much chance of that happening anyhow.

Lee Morrison