Author Topic: My incomplete Christmas present  (Read 1604 times)

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
Re: My incomplete Christmas present
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 12:26:44 PM »
Something that I found extremely useful for my Baratza Vario is a faceplate that allows you to easily change (and remember) the macro and micro settings. Here is a link to the ZIP file with the Excel workbook. You need to print this workbook file for the face plate.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:30:17 PM by rgrosz78 »
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 01:06:50 PM »
Gotta say, I went and looked at the first link you mentioned on Coffeegeek which discusses 'the problem' and I don't really understand 'the problem'. Coffee beans change from day to day, and even if you are being extremely precise on the gram scale while dosing loads and using repeatable distribution and duplicating machine variables etc, the grind setting will invariably change from day to day and even hour to hour depending on the environment. Grinder settings are always temporary.

Throwing those sliders into a general (approximate) location is all that's required. Sure the macro can typically be set to the same location, maybe two clicks down, but the micro slider only need within the right ballpark effort.

When setting up for a new espresso session after the grinder has been used for pourover I'll reset the grinder settings (all the way down and all the way up for both micro and macro) and then put the sliders in a 'gut feel' location for the bean I'm pulling. Then it's observe the shot I pull then I'll decide if I'm going to adjust the next shots grinder settings or maybe dose weight (or amount of pre-infusion time, pressure ramp, time on ramp, next pressure ramp and all the other schtuff involved with levers).

Grinder settings are temporary.

Tex

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 02:04:37 PM »
Gotta say, I went and looked at the first link you mentioned on Coffeegeek which discusses 'the problem' and I don't really understand 'the problem'. Coffee beans change from day to day, and even if you are being extremely precise on the gram scale while dosing loads and using repeatable distribution and duplicating machine variables etc, the grind setting will invariably change from day to day and even hour to hour depending on the environment. Grinder settings are always temporary.

Throwing those sliders into a general (approximate) location is all that's required. Sure the macro can typically be set to the same location, maybe two clicks down, but the micro slider only need within the right ballpark effort.

When setting up for a new espresso session after the grinder has been used for pourover I'll reset the grinder settings (all the way down and all the way up for both micro and macro) and then put the sliders in a 'gut feel' location for the bean I'm pulling. Then it's observe the shot I pull then I'll decide if I'm going to adjust the next shots grinder settings or maybe dose weight (or amount of pre-infusion time, pressure ramp, time on ramp, next pressure ramp and all the other schtuff involved with levers).

+1

Who says we never agree? ;D

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 02:26:38 PM »

+1

Who says we never agree? ;D

Your alter-ego. ;-)

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 11:05:49 AM »
Just pulled a 24 second 17gram blend (10grams Amaro Gayo and 7grams Brazil Sweet Yellow) that was ~1.5 ounces.  The beans were roasted on 12/29/2010.  Really nice flavor.  But I needed to move the macro to 1 click below espresso and the micro to halfway.  I pre-weighed the beans, ran the Vario on Manual, and when it was complete there was some chirping of the grinder plates. 

I did not do an adjustment when I received the Vario, and I am wondering if you have done the adjustment to give you more range on the espresso setting ( and consequently less range on the coarseness setting)?  After reading the whole "Vario Owners" thread at CG (boy was that long!), it seems that quite a few people there have had to adjust the 2mm screw to add more espresso range.  The determining factor seemed to be when the macro setting was at either the top most setting (Espresso) or 1 click below the top most setting (Espresso).  After spending the cash for the Vario, it makes me feel a little uneasy to hear the burrs chirping when I grind that fine.  Not sure if an adjustment is needed or if would even help.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 11:26:47 AM »
Just pulled a 24 second 17gram blend (10grams Amaro Gayo and 7grams Brazil Sweet Yellow) that was ~1.5 ounces.  The beans were roasted on 12/29/2010.  Really nice flavor.  But I needed to move the macro to 1 click below espresso and the micro to halfway.  I pre-weighed the beans, ran the Vario on Manual, and when it was complete there was some chirping of the grinder plates. 

I did not do an adjustment when I received the Vario, and I am wondering if you have done the adjustment to give you more range on the espresso setting ( and consequently less range on the coarseness setting)?  After reading the whole "Vario Owners" thread at CG (boy was that long!), it seems that quite a few people there have had to adjust the 2mm screw to add more espresso range.  The determining factor seemed to be when the macro setting was at either the top most setting (Espresso) or 1 click below the top most setting (Espresso).  After spending the cash for the Vario, it makes me feel a little uneasy to hear the burrs chirping when I grind that fine.  Not sure if an adjustment is needed or if would even help.

Other than the chirping, it seems the grinder is doing it's job well; generally the bean load, time and volume are in the right ballpark and most importantly the taste was there. Taking all that into account it doesn't really matter where the macro and micro settings are as long as you have enough room on either side of those settings so you can adjust the grinder to take into account the 'espresso window of opportunity' - basically allowing you to play with the grinder to bring other qualities out in the shot.

If the grinder is dual purpose (espresso and pourover) then it's probably best if you do the adjustment with the included screw underneath the Vario. This will allow you to keep the espresso setting in the upper end of the sliders (while still allowing a window of opportunity) but it will also allow a big range at the lower end of the sliders for coarser grind extraction methods.

One of the first things I did when I got the grinder was adjust the screw so the burrs were chirping with both sliders at the top of their range and then I backed the screw off enough so the chirping noise was gone. When I adjust the grinder settings in between pourover and espresso I always move the sliders all the way to the bottom then all the way to the top and then put them in their general espresso slider location. When the sliders are at the top the burrs don't chirp but the motor does labour a bit more, not much but enough to notice. When my espresso setting is in place I generally have it at one click down on the macro side and about halfway down on the micro side - but that's only relevant to my machine based on its burr setting.

SO, my advice would be to do the adjustment, it's super simple and only takes a minute or two. It will give you peace of mind and once it's done if you have any other questions at least that variable is out of the way and we can Internet-diagnose the follow on stuff.

Make sense?

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 04:09:31 PM »
Looks like I am going to recalibrate the Vario Grind settings.

I like the idea of moving the macro lever all the way down, then up while running an
empty grinder prior to changing the grind.  I believe the micro lever will only come into play
when dialing in a shot of espresso, so no need to move it from dead center when changing grind.

Thanks for the tips... ;D

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 04:12:13 PM »
Good reminder, I should have stated above that I make all my adjustments with the grinder running.