Author Topic: Cleaning Rancilio Silva steam wand help  (Read 556 times)

Offline redcut

• Standard User
Cleaning Rancilio Silva steam wand help
« on: April 15, 2011, 11:02:02 AM »
The wand is attached to the body of the machine w a large nut.  The end of the wand where the steam comes out has a small nut w holes for the steam.  I have not remove either of these. To use the wire brush do I remove just the little end of the wand or do I have to remove it where it meets the machine with this large nut?   Or do I need to clean at all, letting the steam do all that. 

Please bear w my ignorance, the love of coffee does not mean a fellow can have an affinity for fixing equipment. Thank you.

Tex

Re: Cleaning Rancilio Silva steam wand help
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 11:26:37 AM »
Remove the tip and use a small cylindrical brush to clean the inside of the wand. The problem is, I've seen tips so stuck in the wand that the threads rip out before the tip loosens.

If it doesn't loosed with the slightest tug, remove the wand and soak the tip in penetrating oil overnight. Be sure to thoroughly clean the parts with detergent to remove the oil be fore using.

I never tighten the tips more than finger tight & I have weak fingers! ::)

Offline redcut

• Standard User
Re: Cleaning Rancilio Silva steam wand help
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 12:18:25 PM »
Tex, thank you for your help.  The end came off, I guess I didn't know if welded and turning would ruin but I see now it just screws off. Cleaned right up.  'Magine nat.  Preciate cha.