Author Topic: Coava disk filter for the Aeropress  (Read 5784 times)

thejavaman

Re: Coava disk filter for the Aeropress
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »
I really like my coava disks and I use them 3-4 times a week. Depending on the bean/roast, I switch back and forth between the 010 & 008 disks and I've yet to have a "bad" cup from either.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2011, 11:46:30 AM »
Ok, with the caveat that I've only brewed a single coffee with the Coava 008 disc and only done one paper comparison against it, I'll put my opinion out there...

1) I think the Coava disc is easier to use, no risk of paper tear on a pre-rinsed paper filter.

2) I like the precision of the Coava disc, just drop it in and it's perfectly aligned.

3) I like the 'feel' of it - precision, digital.

4) I like the idea of it's 'inert interaction', a slick surface with evenly spaced holes and repeated sizing the disc doesn't get in the way of the process it's just part of the process.

5) The Coava disc allows better release of oils and such and this presents itself in the coffee, I feel like I'm getting a full representation of the bean as compared to the paper.

Random points off the top of my head. Now for the more important opinion, how did it taste? In a word - better.

Other words that came to mind - rounder, fuller, more complete, better body, unfragmented, in-tune, more flavorful, synchronous, full stage presence, etc.

If someone offered me the Coava AP disc mug and the AP paper filter mug side by side I would have drank the Coava mug and left the paper filter mug.

But like I said, this was only a 1 to 1 comparison and there are many reasons this result could have turned out like it did. For now the 008 has me very interested in the possibilities and I'm going to play with it a bunch more while waiting for my CEME pressurestat to show up.

BoldJava

« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2011, 01:38:18 PM »
... I'm going to play with it a bunch more while waiting for my CEME pressurestat to show up.

Just don't stray too far from that lever, buster <fakes a nose punch>

B|Java

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2011, 02:12:57 PM »
... I'm going to play with it a bunch more while waiting for my CEME pressurestat to show up.

Just don't stray too far from that lever, buster <fakes a nose punch>

B|Java

You know it.

thejavaman

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2011, 11:42:21 AM »
http://coava.myshopify.com/blogs/news/3077252-able-brewing-equipment

Good find.

I don't care for the new name 'Able Disc'. Coava Disc sounds much better to me. Glad I bought a Coava Disc and not an Able Disc. ;-)

milowebailey

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2011, 11:49:33 AM »

Good find.

I don't care for the new name 'Able Disc'. Coava Disc sounds much better to me. Glad I bought a Coava Disc and not an Able Disc. ;-)

Personally I'm waiting for the Cane disk, it will kill the Able disk. :angel:

Tex

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2011, 12:03:42 PM »

Good find.

Only if Cain's robusta offering is rejected in favor of Able's Kopi Luwak. :angel:

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2011, 12:07:23 PM »

Good find.

If both of those fail there is always pushing the start button an a regular drip brew machine.

:-X
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski