Author Topic: Better cleaner for glass and some other parts  (Read 849 times)

Offline Coffeefreak

• Standard User
Better cleaner for glass and some other parts
« on: May 08, 2011, 11:27:08 AM »
I recently had a damaged window replaced with a low-e glass. The installer impressed me that she knew what she was doing. (Yes, even a "Male Chauvinist Pig" like myself can admit it when a woman is skilled)
She used a glass cleaner after the window was installed called Sprayway which she said was MUCH better than Windex or any of the ammonia liquid cleaners. I popped for a can of the foam spray at my local Wal Mart superstore (they keep it on the lowest shelf underneath the Windex type products.) It really does a much better job on my HotTop window and all of the other windows in my home and auto.

Disclaimer: I am not connected with the company at all. Just delighted to find something that works better on glass (and have tried it on coffee oils that have baked onto the chrome as well.)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Better cleaner for glass and some other parts
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 11:38:29 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Coffeefreak ... will have to keep an eye out for that one.

;)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:30:41 PM »
Is it safe for food items,  ie does it leave a residue or anything?

Shiny Suds funny commercial

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Coffeefreak

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 01:24:06 PM »
I personally would not use ANY harsh chemical cleaner on a container that is directly used for food preparation or storage. That said, we want to keep the glass window of our HotTop roaster clean so that we can see what color the roasted beans are attaining.

Whether we use a Windex type liquid which contains ammonia or a foam solvent like this one, it is important to use a paper towel to wipe up any dissolved coffee oils and residual solvent.

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 07:15:47 PM »
As a former chemist, I use the Simple Green or Home Depot ZEP Citrus degreasers to clean my Behmor.  But I always clean first with the solvents, then wipe out the inside with a microfiber cloth dampened with water, and then do a dry burn.  I am pretty confident that this approach removes any solvent residue before using the Behmor to roast again.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Tex

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 09:14:20 PM »
I personally would not use ANY harsh chemical cleaner on a container that is directly used for food preparation or storage. That said, we want to keep the glass window of our HotTop roaster clean so that we can see what color the roasted beans are attaining.

Whether we use a Windex type liquid which contains ammonia or a foam solvent like this one, it is important to use a paper towel to wipe up any dissolved coffee oils and residual solvent.

Why? I don't recall EVER looking at the beans while roasting; relying solely on 1st & 2nd crack, and a good digital timer, to tell me when to eject the beans. And as for the glass plate; it was easy enough to pop the end off the roaster and remove it for cleaning. Why risk spraying chemicals of any kind in the roaster?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 09:30:12 PM »
I don't recall EVER looking at the beans while roasting; relying solely on 1st & 2nd crack, and a good digital timer, to tell me when to eject the beans.

Doesn't mean visual clues are meaningless though, does it?  A color change from green to yellow/golden indicates the drying phase is over, which tells me it's safe to progress w/ the profile.  Adding heat with too much moisture remaining in the beans is the main cause of grassy flavors in light roasts.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 06:02:30 AM »
I don't recall EVER looking at the beans while roasting; relying solely on 1st & 2nd crack, and a good digital timer, to tell me when to eject the beans.

Doesn't mean visual clues are meaningless though, does it?  A color change from green to yellow/golden indicates the drying phase is over, which tells me it's safe to progress w/ the profile.  Adding heat with too much moisture remaining in the beans is the main cause of grassy flavors in light roasts.

Since I never stop at less than FC it isn't an issue. And I can tell by the bread dough smell that the beans are still drying.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 07:50:19 AM »

Since I never stop at less than FC it isn't an issue. And I can tell by the bread dough smell that the beans are still drying.

I didn't mean to imply that grassy flavors in light roasts was the only reason to finish the drying phase; latent moisture in the beans prevents some desirable chemical reactions from occurring as well, resulting in missing the beans' full potential.  I'd guess that your ramp to 1st is gradual enough that you are avoiding that problem.

Only because I want to be like JohnF when I grow up, I'll bring this back on topic; I bought a can of the Sprayaway for $2.49, and am looking for a dry stretch of weather to clean my windows and will report back.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 12:22:40 PM »
^^^ I bought a can of Sprayaway a couple of days ago and tested it to clean my Behmor after roasting four pounds on Saturday.  It seemed to work no better nor worse than using my customary Simple Green or ZEP Citrus cleaner.  I will have to try it out on some windows and see if it works better than Windex.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA