Author Topic: I'm planning for Christmas now.  (Read 893 times)

Tex

I'm planning for Christmas now.
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:04:24 PM »
Some folks will receive Aeropress and some a pour over. But which pour over is best - Clever, Hario, Melitta, ??

I so infrequently use a pour over, and when I do it's when any coffee's better than no coffee, that I'm not current with which one is best. Suggestions on a buy of a half-dozen?

BoldJava

Re: I'm planning for Christmas now.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 12:16:07 PM »
Some folks will receive Aeropress and some a pour over. But which pour over is best - Clever, Hario, Melitta, ??

All are good though Clever comes only in plastic.  I prefer my Beehouse, then a Hario.

Beehouse is easier for most folks since Melitta filters are readily available; Hario filters are less available and are much more expensive.  You can use Melitta filters with a Hario but it includes a fold.  Why challenge people.

I always try and throw business OE's direction - they do an awful lot for the community:  http://www.orphanespresso.com/Beehouse-Porcelain-Coffee-Dripper-Filter-Cone_p_2473.html

B|Java

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 12:51:20 PM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »
It would depend on who's on your list.  Will they pay attention to their pour with a decent kettle?  If not, the CCD is absolutely the way to go.  The Shrub has them in cases of 12.  Will the lucky recipients even mess w/ an Aeropress?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:55:12 PM »
It would depend on who's on your list.  Will they pay attention to their pour with a decent kettle?  If not, the CCD is absolutely the way to go.  The Shrub has them in cases of 12.  Will the lucky recipients even mess w/ an Aeropress?

I took a few AP's to a church meeting and showed folks how they work. So far at least 5 have bought their own, so I'd say they will be used - IF YOU'LL SHOW FOLKS HOW TO USE THEM. Especially once you show folks how easy they are to clean.

The kettle's the reason I don't use pour-overs - they're a PITA to use if you have to keep a special kettle on the cook top. I'm with Alton Brown - no single use tools!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 05:48:54 PM »
+1 to what BIJava said.

A ceramic pourover cone is a great kitchen tool for even casual coffee drinkers.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »
I got to agree with Robert on this one.

I find pour overs more effort than they are worth.  I find my $20.00 Brew and Go makes a great one cupper with all the oils in the cup that you would normally get in a vacuum pot.  With the reusable filter it is a great coffee machine for a great price.

Maybe you can get them one of those Robert?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 01:23:29 PM »
I took a few AP's to a church meeting and showed folks how they work. So far at least 5 have bought their own, so I'd say they will be used - IF YOU'LL SHOW FOLKS HOW TO USE THEM. Especially once you show folks how easy they are to clean.

Can you tell me where you bought those AP's from, and what the price was?

The kettle's the reason I don't use pour-overs - they're a PITA to use if you have to keep a special kettle on the cook top. I'm with Alton Brown - no single use tools!

That's the beauty of the Clever, it takes the need for the perfect pour out of the equation, and whatever you used for boiling the water can pour adequately.

milowebailey

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »
Tex

I have an aeropress with disks so if I can be so bold as to suggest a Clever dripper for me, that would be great.

Merry Christmas

-Milowebailey

Tex

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 01:40:26 PM »
Tex

I have an aeropress with disks so if I can be so bold as to suggest a Clever dripper for me, that would be great.

Merry Christmas

-Milowebailey

I've already selected your gift. ;D

Tex

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 01:46:01 PM »

Can you tell me where you bought those AP's from, and what the price was?

That's the beauty of the Clever, it takes the need for the perfect pour out of the equation, and whatever you used for boiling the water can pour adequately.

I picked up a bunch of AP's when Amazon had them for $23.

I'll take a closer look at the Clever - pour overs seem perfect for some of my older friends. How critical is the grind (will a Baratza Maestro work OK?)?

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 02:51:12 PM »
A weedwhacker will suffice.

Tex

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 03:19:04 PM »
A weedwhacker will suffice.